Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Tribal Blades
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody out there have the Metz ME880 Marathon XXL in 280/35-18 mounted on a 8.5" wide rim? If so, can you tell me how wide the tire is at it's widest point? Doesn't need to be on a V-Rod, just that tire and rim width.

[Yes, I know that Metz says it goes on a 9.5-10.5" rim, with 10" recommended, but they also say use a 9.5" rim width for the 260 tire and I see many on this forum have mounted the Metz 260 on the stock 8" rim.]

I think the 280 may fit inside my stock 07 AW swingarm on a 8.5" rim, since the tire will be pinched in enough to give the minimum .25" clearance. Guessing that the recommended 10" rim (10.9" tire width) would widen that 280 out too far for the stock swingarm.

My current 07 AW stock 240 tire has 1.25" clearance on each side to the swingarm. Going to the Metz 260 on the stock 8" rim will only fill up about .3" of that on each side. That still leaves .95" swingarm clearance per side.

Yeah, probably would have to offset the rear wheel a few millimeters to the right to split the clearance between the belt and the right swingarm. So, anyone running this tire on a 8.5" rim?

·
2" of dangling death
10,933 Posts
i dont think it will fit, and your stock 07 wheel is 8 not 8.5.

·
Tribal Blades
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tyson876 said:
i dont think it will fit, and your stock 07 wheel is 8 not 8.5.
Sorry, but I never said stock was 8.5, actually I stated that my stock rim is 8. I'm looking for the tire width with the 280 and 8.5 combo.

·
Registered
519 Posts
tapman22 said:
Sorry, but I never said stock was 8.5, actually I stated that my stock rim is 8. I'm looking for the tire width with the 280 and 8.5 combo.
I don't think this works. 260 will fit but 280 just a little too big. I have not tried myself.

·
Tribal Blades
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never mind! I found this pic that shows the Metz 280 on a 18x8.5 wheel. The tire is deformed badly at the edges. The sidewall is pulled way in and the way the edge rolls off looks like a crash waiting to happen if you end up trying to ride on the edge. Tire width on this rim is 10.2".

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts