Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed the side of my Metz 260 coming away:banghead:

Anyone else found the side worn out with plenty of tread left in the centre? OK its done 4K, but this was my first Metz, and I have never worn out a rear sidewall before!

Attachments

·
Sleep is over-rated
2,423 Posts
that looks like you might be rubbing on the frame. take a look underneath and make sure this tire is not coming in contact with the frame of something on the bike

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Checked and there is no signs of rubbin, its just as if the dual compound is too soft on the side.

·
Member #415
1,713 Posts
Jack up the rear end of the bike, (front wheel on the floor).
Slide a floor or bottle jack under the tire to support the weight.
Remove the lower shock bolts.
Jack tire up until swing arm stops.
Spin the wheel and look for rubbing.

·
Kickstart My Heart!!
1,506 Posts
Jack up the rear end of the bike, (front wheel on the floor).
Slide a floor or bottle jack under the tire to support the weight.
Remove the lower shock bolts.
Jack tire up until swing arm stops.
Spin the wheel and look for rubbing.
I have to say it is rubbing as well. That wear does not look like it is from leaning into corners as well as it is a rough wear not a smooth wear.

Also the tire wear is too far up the sidewall of the tire. You are not leaning that much to make the tire wear that far up the sidewall.

·
Life's good
681 Posts
Never happened to the 260 on my DX. If it was rubbing somewhere, you would find small rubber particles around the fender/rim area. Happened on my VRSCA, when I put my 200 on. I would start by checking for correct tire pressure.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
if it isn't rubbing on something on the bike, then you must be riding twisties at 80mph and dragging your frame through every turn.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Thinking about it, went to Spain with some sport bikes. I was loaded up with luggage and riding twisties at 80mph (with the odd blemish on the frame)

It doesn't seem to be rubbing now but I think it wore the edges down and now normal riding has finished it off.

·
INCONCEIVABLE!
1,529 Posts
Extra weight on the bike would probably do that ... especially with aggressive riding

That is absolutely not normal wear ... you were rubbing on something for sure ...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm sure too now.

The shocks are set as delivered when I bought it, but on the second from lowest setting. Normal riding its been OK, no rubber etc. With the luggage right over the back or a pillion it must be bottoming out.

Will get the settings increased when the new tyre goes on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.