Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got around to flipping my mirrors tonight, took about an hour to do. Also why i was there i turned my grip forward a bit (mine were kinda tilted up and felt weird). Pretty easy to do if you can solder, i just cut the wires about the middle, pulled off the mirrors and swapped sides. Soldered the wires and used shrink tubing to keep it stock looking. Funny how much difference it makes, the front of the bike looks lower (illusion of course) and i can see behind me better for sure. FUNNY thing i noticed the hazard switch,,,,,,,didnt even know it had that!!!! i should really read the owners manual, lol. Be safe, paul

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you actually see with those?
i think even better then the stock way. The stock way my shoulders and arms are in the way, this way i see almost down the side of the back end of the bike

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Yup even 2 up I can see great with my Flipped mirrors. I found if you run them parallel to the Levers it gives you a bit better site lines then with the Grips

·
Registered
234 Posts
Im a member of the F'ing Flip Club I guess. Now I'm 6'3'' and I dont see much unless I duck down and lift my hand up a bit but I like the look how it makes the bike look lower. I grew up without mirrors and still do full turns of my head.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im a member of the F'ing Flip Club I guess. Now I'm 6'3'' and I dont see much unless I duck down and lift my hand up a bit but I like the look how it makes the bike look lower. I grew up without mirrors and still do full turns of my head.

love the grips are they slick? or kinda small? thats the style im going with regardless. rode about 50 miles today, it was weird at first the mirros being low but got use to it pretty quick

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so when you flip them do you need to drill holes in the top for the wires
nope, the mirrors get flipped over and side to side as well so when you do that you need to cut the wires and solder back together with longer wire. i used some shrink tube and heated it up after i soldered the wires. Then i put some ribbed wire loom over it (radio shack or lowes has many sizes of the stuff) to dress the final look up. Main thing i did was to put loctite on the threads of the mirror stem so they wont come loose, be very carefull NOT to overtighten the nut for the mirror stem because they are a drilled out threaded piece and are very easy to overtighten and strip/break.

Lastly you will want to take the mirrors off and put them on the right side so they (objects in mirror are losing i mean closer then they appear) read right side up. all pretty simple harder to explain the nto just take on the job. good luck, paul

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi everybody¡¡
I'm a new member of the mirror flip club, but i have done a little improvement.
I have drill the back side of the mirror support and i have hidden the wire avoiding drilling the top of the handlebar.

I have some pictures..

Doing this allows you to replace the original screw with a better one.

·
Pura Raza
319 Posts
Hi everybody¡¡
I have drill the back side of the mirror support and i have hidden the wire avoiding drilling the top of the handlebar.

I have some pictures..

muy buen trabajo compañero :them:

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi everybody¡¡

WOW thats awesome right there, i wanted to do something like that but a couldnt see how the mirror came apart, i assumed they were glued together but nto sure? either way thats a fantastic job bro!!!:notworth::notworth::notworth::notworth::notworth::notworth::notworth::notworth::notworth::notworth:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks.

WOW thats awesome right there, i wanted to do something like that but a couldnt see how the mirror came apart, i assumed they were glued together but nto sure? either way thats a fantastic job bro!!!:notworth::notworth::notworth::notworth::notworth::notworth::notworth::notworth::notworth::notworth:
As you have guessed the screw is attached to the mirror bracket, I think with loctitte red. To loosen it i used a wrench like the one pictured, i don't know whow is it called in english.
Once you remove the screw you must drill the support to about 2cm from the base, very carefully to avoid damaging the wires, pull the wires through the new hole (I cut the cable and then went back to welding to make it easier) and reassemble everything.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Vice grips!

Every home mechanic's best friend. Er - no, I guess that would be beer.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Hey couple of Questions for you guys in the USA .... are the mirrors available in black there , also here in Australia we have orange in the mirror turn signals and notice yours are smoked clear .. think looks heaps better , are the globes orange ???d.... If mirrors are painted , how hard was it to pull apart etc .. like glass and indicator removal ??? Cheers in advance for any answers Paul

·
Registered
135 Posts
Did the mirror flip. I love the look it gives the bike.I didn't cut and resolder the wires though. I took apart the connector, pulled everything through and reassembled the connector with the wires re-ordered.

I just have to get used to looking under my arm instead of over it. Then again, I also learned to ride without mirrors so full head turns are ingrained in my riding.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Funny last week one of my turn signals completely stopped working. So after some diagnosing i figured i would start dissecting lol
I tried cutting the stem down on the turn signal to see what it would look like back on the top of the bars with a lower profile. Not sure if i'm putting them back on top of the bars or not. But I seriously like that mirrors flipped look.

You need to pry VERY easily around the lens to get it to come out. There is a pretty good amount of silicon holding things in place. There is a groove around the base where the lens fits in that is filled with silicon then there are four cutouts that seem to hold everything together. Once the lens is out there is the chrome light housing, Not sure of the name. This is held in place with the silicon in the cutout areas. The lights and board itself are held in with the silicon that plugs the hole for the wiring and a white electric grease or something. The hole where the wires go down the stem of the turn signal was a bit tricky getting lose to run the wires in and out easily.

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
And the plug is very easy to pull apart and switch up the wires if you want to go that route. Which is what i did. Just didn't want to cut the factory wires.

·
Flat Broke
282 Posts
nope, the mirrors get flipped over and side to side as well so when you do that you need to cut the wires and solder back together with longer wire. i used some shrink tube and heated it up after i soldered the wires. Then i put some ribbed wire loom over it (radio shack or lowes has many sizes of the stuff) to dress the final look up. Main thing i did was to put loctite on the threads of the mirror stem so they wont come loose, be very carefull NOT to overtighten the nut for the mirror stem because they are a drilled out threaded piece and are very easy to overtighten and strip/break.

Lastly you will want to take the mirrors off and put them on the right side so they (objects in mirror are losing i mean closer then they appear) read right side up. all pretty simple harder to explain the nto just take on the job. good luck, paul
On a side note, you don't actually need to cut them. What I did was take the plug apart where they both connect, tied some string to each one and pulled through the bars. Then I fed them back on the opposite side and assembled the plug the reverse of what it was. Takes a bit longer that way but eliminates the wire cutting part. Good look though, I prefer it to the original for sure.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts