Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I just picked up a new to me 13 Night rod special. Bike is great super low miles but has a couple cosmetic things I’m working on. The previous owner had their kid as a passenger and put his shoes on the heat shields for the exhaust and it melted on them in a couple spots. How can I try to get this off without messing up the finish?

·
Departed the Fix.
5,206 Posts
Strangely enough?

A single edge razor blade and WD-40.

Spray, let sit a minute or two, GENTLY scrape, wipe, repeat.

R.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice! I read about wd-40 but everything I saw was dealing with chrome. Never would have thought to use a razor gently.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It’s working! I got a lot off already, thanks to the tip. It takes some time though that’s for sure.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,206 Posts
It’s working! I got a lot off already, thanks to the tip. It takes some time though that’s for sure.
Glad it's working out for you. Slow can be time consuming, but it does sort of cut down on the buffoonery and the "OhGodOhGodIJustDidWHAT?" moments.

COMPLETELY not speaking from experience here. ;)

R.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Already tried that with not much success. Maybe a combo of both would work. Heat, wd (not using a lighter), and the razor. Thanks!

Ive always had luck heating it back up and cleaning it with a cloth. either run the bike for a few or us a lighter.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've used 100% Acetone with good results. Depends upon the "rubber" (plastic). Acetone doesn't hurt chrome. Actually does a great job cleaning it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts