Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
272 Posts
J.B. Going down on a bike at 60 mph. is something we all dred.......I'm glad the "Road Spirit" was watching over you.

· Premium Member
3,467 Posts
JB, I echo everyone's sentiments. Thank goodness you were well cladded, and are okay. I hope we soon hear that you are back on the road.

EveryoneElse, I agree with the DrScum, we don't know what happened, but we do know that dogs are animals and must be controlled at all times. I love dogs. My rottweiler-mutt passed some time ago after 12 wonderful years of life. Still, even if my mutt was hit by an unknown person on a bike... I would make it a point to check to see if the human was okay and/or needed any assistance before turning my attention to my own dog. Especially if my lack of control over my dog caused the accident in the first place. That's just the way things oughta be. Unless, of course, you're a PETA member. ;) In which case you'd probably be compelled to strip and protest something.

· Riding the good life
4,900 Posts
The dog thing has happened to me before too. Hit a shepard at 60 on a Honda 305 Super Hawk when I lived in Ohio. Was riding just at dark, and the animal was laying in wait in a ditch for something to chase. Must be the thrill of the hunt for them, the animal thing I guess. Hit the poor bastard at the rear quarter in a mad swerve to avoid him, and because of hitting the dog while swerving, the impact kept me up. Luckily, it was not a front end hit, more of the front quarter of the bike against the animal. Almost like billiards.

Don't know if the dog survived, as I was not going to stop, as a hurt animal can be a pretty mean sucker.

From the bikers stand point, I was lucky, but if I would have went down, it would have been a nasty one. And if that would have been the case, i would have sued the animals owner for negligence.

Yea, i love animals too, and I had a dalmation I had to shoot after getting hit by a car, as the car rolled over him and he was badly hurt. Dog (his name) was wandering and was on the side of the road, doing dog things when it happened.

I was pretty upset at the driver, as the dude was speeding and did not have control of the car as if he would have been going slower, he could have prevented the accident. It was in the midlde of the day, and he could see the animal. My incident had the dog in a position where he could not be seen, and yes, speed was involved too.

But the chasers, I hate them and their owners for not training their animals or not having controlof them. OS they should be held acocuntable for their lack of their own control over their inaction and responsibilty of their animal.

Hope you get over your injuries with nothing permenant, and are able to get your bike squared away with the animal owners insurance. I'd ask them for their homeowners insurance compaqny, and go for it.

· Registered
305 Posts
JB...
Keep your head up buddy! Glad to hear you got off with minor injuries. Just got my ride back after my accident. Eight weeks to get all the repairs done! Like someone already said....this is getting way to common! I think this makes 4 in the last couple of months. EVERYONE OUT THERE PLEASE BE SAFE!!

· Registered
139 Posts
JB,

Sorry to hear about your accident, hope you mend quickly!

Its a real challenge to have to look out for loose animals, but its one of the everyday possibilities we face as riders. Really sorry it happened to you. Hopefully you can receive some compensation from the dog's owner.

To bad for the dog and the little girl, it must have been terrible for her. I just lost by best dog buddy and I will never be the same.

I 've had some real close calls with animals that have nearly ended my career, too. 25 years ago, at 4:30 AM I was going to work on my Honda 750 and met up with a cow on a 1 and 1/2 lane bridge on the San Marcos River just west of Luling, Texas. I dont know how I missed it.

Several years ago, I was on a 99 Buell M2 between Grants and Quemado, New Mexico, going about 100 mph, and a coyote darted out 10 feet in front of me, which gave me a quick dose of reality. I've also squished a few rabbits on my Harleys and didnt even blink.

JB, get well soon!

Bob in Albuquerque

· COOLER RIDER
5,180 Posts
Hate to hear it. Those critters on the road are scary. I to have had many close calls with them. I always feel kinda helpless when one jumps out. Been lucky so far.
I to love dogs. Had a boxer for 8 years and treated him like the kid I never had. I don't think it's right to care more for animals than or fellow man, but in Boomers case I sure did. Best damn dog ever. Being a fellow rider I'm sure I would have shown more compassion, but I can understand her not being. Good luck with your healing and rebuilding.

· AMF
423 Posts
Sorry to hear about that JB. Hope you get better soon. Never like to hear about a fellow biker going down.

John

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.