Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. First post and have a question. Presently I have a 07 FXSTC with a 120 custom build. I've reached the point where I'm getting sick of the bike and all the big twin problems. Got to ride a 2012 vrod and it interests me enough to dump what I have and move on. How many here have made the move from big twin to vrods and never looked back.?
Ron

·
Banned
1,783 Posts
All of them, lol. Jump ship and enjoy. :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have both a 07 ultra and love it no problems. And i have a 02. Vrod which i love better each bike has its own feel and function

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have both a 07 ultra and love it no problems. And i have a 02. Vrod which i love better each bike has its own feel and function
Agreed. Took an 07 EG to the Keys with the wife a few months back and really enjoyed the bike, but the V has worked well for just about everything else. Was actually in your neck of the woods today on 46.

·
F'd up
273 Posts
My last bike had a 110 revtech that ran strong and I just couldn't make myself step down in power by getting an air cooled bike. In my experience, the v is plenty powerful and an exceptionally reliable bike, with plenty of options for increasing hp if you have the inclination and $.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
No Comparison

30 odd years of Sportys and big brother - can never go back now.

No Comparison rbabos, the rpm's, acceleration, top end, reliability, and lack of overheating issues are tremendous. What they basically did in all reality was fix or eliminate everything wrong with the design of the 100 year old engine called now a TC.

If you truly enjoy the road you will not regret it.
If you are looking to be one of the boys - forget it.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Agreed. Took an 07 EG to the Keys with the wife a few months back and really enjoyed the bike, but the V has worked well for just about everything else. Was actually in your neck of the woods today on 46.
I totally agree wife and myself also took our eg downto the keys last year really nice ride with that bike but i will say i also have taken the v up tp panama city beach with wife for me the was comfortable not for wife . The v is a good bike for one on long trips but not for two. Thats for the ultra to do. So where on 46 wereu we might have crossed paths i was on 46 on the v at 530 am near I-4

·
It's Only Money
1,321 Posts
I too have both a VROD and an 08 Ultra. Love both of them and can't imagine life without both. They each have their charms and strengths. No significant problems with either bike thus far over the long haul. The squeeze won't ride on the back of B anymore and will only ride on the Ultra. That's perfect, because I hate taking passengers on the B anyway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was there too. Had a FXSTB daily rider put 90,000+ miles on it. I wanted a change. Test rode the V and never looked back.
I'm sure you love it like the rest of us. Go for it!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I had a 2010 Fat Boy and I let it get broke in at 5000 miles ,I started pounder er and she just wouldn`t move,and I found out why even the stage 1 kit only put the HP at 65HP rode it a year took it to the dealer and wanted to make it go faster ,they told me $6900.00 investment would make it have maybe 95HP so I test rode a 2008 V Rod with 124HP stock and the rest was history.

·
F2NV
1,737 Posts
i had a wide glide, it was more comfortable than the muscle on longer tides. the biggest problem with the air cooled bikes is, you twist the throttle, they make alot of noise, then think about moving, then dont go very far with the amount of noise its making.

i like how the muscle is a niche bike, they are fast, and you rarely see another one on the road. most V's you can customize with off the shelf parts, the R and F though, it takes some trail and error.

i will never go back to an air cooled TC.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
I had a 2010 Fat Boy and I let it get broke in at 5000 miles ,I started pounder er and she just wouldn`t move,and I found out why even the stage 1 kit only put the HP at 65HP rode it a year took it to the dealer and wanted to make it go faster ,they told me $6900.00 investment would make it have maybe 95HP so I test rode a 2008 V Rod with 124HP stock and the rest was history.
The average for the 96" is about 65 - 68 to the rear. With some goodies higher yet obviously. You either had a lousy tune or someone had a bad day on the dyno or both. But paltry Hp either way for such large displacement.

WTF, $6900.00 into the motor??? For cripes sake, they (HD) were selling the 130R for $5K installed. They claim 130 HP.

·
Live Free Or Die
330 Posts
I came from an '86 FXR custom(NOT a Dyna!!). When I sold it I had over well 90K miles on it. The EVO needed a full engine rebuild done at @ 60K put in new roller rockers, light weight push rods, oversize valves, polished & ported heads, slant headed pistons, big Mikuni carb, dynojet dual coil ignition, the works. 11.7:1 compression.

Gawd did a I love that bike! Rode the crap out of it. At 90K it needed a total rebuild. From the wheel bearings, to the eng/trans to the forks, roters and shocks. All the chrome needed to be redone.

B4 I got started, I got talked into demoing a vrod at bikeweek. I was sold the first time I twisted the throttle. When I found about the R model I went out and bought one.

I still sigh when I see an old FXR, but the next twist of the throttle on my R tells me I did the right thing. Someday I'll get another FXR to play/tour with.

·
Registered
165 Posts
i had a 1990 fxsts,brach heads and a very large cam thought it was fast, test rode v-rod !!! cracked engine cases on the springer that was it bought a 2007 night rod spec.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Love the comments. So are these Revolution powertrains as tough as the hype makes them out to be. My 120 softail goes like hell but I'm not sure it or trans will take it for too long.
Ron

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
So are these Revolution powertrains as tough as the hype makes them out to be.
There are many members here with over 100k miles, and 1 member with 180k! (Without having to be rebuilt!)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts