Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok ...I was at my local Dealer and they were having Demo Days . I figured I had nothing to loose so I rode the Anniversary V-rod they had . I was wrong , I may have to give up my paid for 03 and buy a new 08. The comments I have read about the new models are right . I was surprised at the increase in bottom end and just pure grunt . I didn't get a chance to ride one with the ABS but thinking of ordering one with the option . The 240 rear tire had little effect on the feel compared to my 180's on the 03 . I do need to know if anyone is making after market exhaust for the AW since the bike uses O2 sensors . I didn't look but is the O2 sensor in the head pipe or back near the mufflers ?. The bike I rode made less noise than my wifes sewing machine. I wonder if she will notice I have a different color bike ? . Maybe I 'll just tell her I changed the skins ! :broke:

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
for that reason alone I've been glad our local dealer doesn't have any 08's I love my 02 and want to keep her forever!

I love my wife too and want to keep her but MAN! I see some woman sometimes that get me thinkin :hmm:

:hidesbeh:

·
Darth Veeness
2,014 Posts
fatbrothers said:
Ok ...I was at my local Dealer and they were having Demo Days . I figured I had nothing to loose so I rode the Anniversary V-rod they had . I was wrong , I may have to give up my paid for 03 and buy a new 08. The comments I have read about the new models are right . I was surprised at the increase in bottom end and just pure grunt . I didn't get a chance to ride one with the ABS but thinking of ordering one with the option . The 240 rear tire had little effect on the feel compared to my 180's on the 03 . I do need to know if anyone is making after market exhaust for the AW since the bike uses O2 sensors . I didn't look but is the O2 sensor in the head pipe or back near the mufflers ?. The bike I rode made less noise than my wifes sewing machine. I wonder if she will notice I have a different color bike ? . Maybe I 'll just tell her I changed the skins ! :broke:
The 08s are beautiful. The O2 sensors are near the third volumn. There is a black rubber looking hose on each one. Yeah, tell her you changed the tins, yeah, that's it. You'll have to figure out another explanation for the 240 rear tire. Good luck.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
tagrat said:
The 08s are beautiful. The O2 sensors are near the third volumn. There is a black rubber looking hose on each one. Yeah, tell her you changed the tins, yeah, that's it. You'll have to figure out another explanation for the 240 rear tire. Good luck.
Actually the front O2 sensor is about 4" below the head pointing to the left side of the bike so it's hidden. The rear sensor is about 6" down the pipe from the head also pointing left, just above the clutch cover.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information on the O2's . By the description of their locations it sounds like they are in the head pipes and you should be able to replace the mufflers with almost any after market mufflers. Does anyone know if there is a Dealer who will give forum members a cost plus deal on new units. Seems like the discount would be made up in additional volume . Thanks for the input ....

·
I'm Bored
1,741 Posts
fatbrothers said:
Does anyone know if there is a Dealer who will give forum members a cost plus deal on new units. Seems like the discount would be made up in additional volume . Thanks for the input ....
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
fatbrothers said:
Thanks for the information on the O2's . By the description of their locations it sounds like they are in the head pipes and you should be able to replace the mufflers with almost any after market mufflers. Does anyone know if there is a Dealer who will give forum members a cost plus deal on new units. Seems like the discount would be made up in additional volume . Thanks for the input ....
A discount? you have to be joking..... they charge extra when they hear we "read it on the internet". ;)

Yes, you can install any exhaust that leaves the factory head pipes in place but you'll need to tune the EFI and that's a bit tougher on the '08's until the aftermarket catches up.

·
Premium Member
10,816 Posts
Nice - sad there is no 08 "R"!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I just went to an 08 from my 03....... and all i can say is DO IT ..... i traded in my 03 w/ 16,000 miles and about $2,000 in extras for $10,000 and got the 08 for aprox. $18,500.... its way faster, it shifts 100% better and definately handles better (yea i know i thougt it would handle worse b/c the the wider rear tire but I think it actually handles better) and it handles bumps better

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bpunk : Congrats ...That is exactly what I thought about the 08 I rode . They are really cool ...Have fun ...

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have now had 4 V-Rods 05 - 06 SE -07W - and now an 08WA , the new bike is a great improvement on the 07w and the engine power is delivered better than it was on the 1250SE and seems to have more , the new clutch is a godsend and makes riding so much easier and gearchanges are lots quicker and noiseless - quality of the paint and the fit and finish are superb , I have the anniversary model and even non Harley people are in awe of the colour combination and the flawless finish , the company makes many small changes from year to year and this is noticeable on the latest model where it all falls into place - the bike does seem to run a bit hotter because of the closed loop system , I drilled 5 x 3/8 holes in the end of each muffler and this seems to reduce the heat and increase the noise a little by allowing some of the exhaust gas a shorter distance to exit the mufflers and reduces the amount of hot gas traveling through the full length of the baffle system - I have made no changes to the intake so drilling the pipes should make no difference to the A/F ratio . I'm 100% happy with my new bike and have no regrets with my purchase (used prices are very high in Australia) :moped: .

·
Registered
684 Posts
No issue with drilling the mufflers?? I have an '08 Anniversary model and noticed that it runs hotter than my '05 did, but attributed it to the larger displacement. I have a friend who did the drilling of his 06 mufflers but did 6 5/8 inch holes without an issue. I would like to get more sound too. LMK how yours run...
Thanks

·
Registered
145 Posts
vrodude said:
No issue with drilling the mufflers?? I have an '08 Anniversary model and noticed that it runs hotter than my '05 did, but attributed it to the larger displacement. I have a friend who did the drilling of his 06 mufflers but did 6 5/8 inch holes without an issue. I would like to get more sound too. LMK how yours run...
Thanks
I drilled 6x1/2 holes in my 07W and it ran no different than standard , did a before and after on the dyno and the A/F ratio didn't alter ( stock standard except for the holes) .

·
Pineland Underground
14,737 Posts
lakedrunk said:
for that reason alone I've been glad our local dealer doesn't have any 08's I love my 02 and want to keep her forever!

I love my wife too and want to keep her but MAN! I see some woman sometimes that get me thinkin :hmm:

:hidesbeh:

:laugh:

seriously...have been avoiding the dealership cause I know I'll want to get on one of those 08s. Argh!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts