Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chaps & Chapesses....

I've been offered an opportunity overseas for a couple of years and am pondering taking it.
I'll probably put my Aprilia into storage as it seems to be worthless, but am considering selling the Rod.

Its an original 2002 Anodised with a Sampson Street Sweeper exhaust fitted, (I still have the original) with the truly wonderful private plate
V2 HDV fitted.
The plate may be for sale by its self privately as well.

Please PM my if you or any friends may be interested.

JJ.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Quote by Jolly jeweler:"The plate may be for sale by its self privately as well."
I have seen ads for license plates to sell in Edinburgh newspapers, and always wondered why would that be. do they only let out so many?

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Well, I certainly wish you well. Too bad you must sell the V. It might be nice to replace her with an updated version at a later date.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Geezer 55 said:
Quote by Jolly jeweler:"The plate may be for sale by its self privately as well."
I have seen ads for license plates to sell in Edinburgh newspapers, and always wondered why would that be. do they only let out so many?
Over here we can not register a personal plate.
You have to use an existing plate, so there is a lot of money to be made in trading them.

For example - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/08/21/l1nux_number_plate_for_sale/

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
CRAZY CLIVE said:
Dont go oversea's...stay in england and taxed the shit out of ya and keep ya bike.
You run your own company.
I bet you have never paid a full quota of tax.

Prolly paying yourself minimum wage and setting everything else against the company.

:moon:

·
Premium Member
2,312 Posts
yep...i earnt five english pounds today...the rest went in fuel and to the accountant for my year end, and that my friend is the truth.

·
Registered
546 Posts
The_Apprentice said:
Over here we can not register a personal plate.
You have to use an existing plate, so there is a lot of money to be made in trading them.

For example - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/08/21/l1nux_number_plate_for_sale/
Here in the Grand Republic, if one buys a vehicle, one goes to the Div. of Motor vehicles,(DMV, its like the KGB, only less a sense of humor.) and gets a shiney new plate for it. If you buy it from a dealer, the new plate will be on it when you pick it up. If you buy 10 bikes, you get 10 plates. So the Gov there allows only so many plates to be in circulation at one time? wow.
the U.S. economy is built around the vehicle industry, so its always been easy to get, and use a car, truck or bike. License fee for a bike is 25 USD per year in my State.50 USD for a car These fees vary from state to state.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Over here the car is issued with a plate when it is sold.
Well, strictly speaking it is assigned to the documentation and VIN for the car.

You can transfer a plate between vehicles for around £80 ($160)

Vehicle tax is a bit complicated over here - http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012524

:)

It costs me £180 ($360) for the car and £64 ($128) for each bike.

I have three bikes which cost $600 to insure all three. The car costs $640, and it is a VERY boring saloon.
Then we pay about $4/US Gallon for petrol.

·
Registered
546 Posts
All we have is the registration fee, no other taxes allowed, but there are some taxes on fuel,and that keeps the cost pretty high. Which is about 2.80USD right now per gallon. Near to $3 for the stuff my bikes use. Insurance can get costly for a sport bike, mostly because of the no experience or common sense organ donors.Currently, I pay about 950 USD for my 3 , a 75'bagger, a Buell firebolt, and the street rod. I switched because the last company wanted $600 yr. for just the Buell. I think Guy Fawkes should pay a visit to the US insurance industry.

·
Red Rod Rider
244 Posts
The_Apprentice said:
I have three bikes which cost $600 to insure all three. The car costs $640, and it is a VERY boring saloon.
Then we pay about $4/US Gallon for petrol.
who is "we" ? i'm paying over $9/US a gallon :mad:

btw i have the v-rod, a triumph speed triple & a suzuki bandit all on the same policy from ebike at £452 a year ( $900 )

·
Registered
546 Posts
I think that all of you folks there should move here, you'd be alot happier on a bike. You can ride for a week and not hit the ocean, and you can enjoy real Texas chilly.

1,501 Posts
VED (vehicle excise duty) is mad over here, i had to buy an auto car after the accident as i couldnt change gear, the cars (a smart) road tax is half that of my V-Rod's @ £35 ($70)!

You can buy number plates from third parties in the UK or from ones issued by the DVLA in accordance with their very strict rules of release.

http://www.premiermotorauctions.co.uk/dvla/default.asp

Any decent numbers they hold back for Auction, i paid the goverment big $$'s plus VAT @17.5% and transer fees for a plate from an auction last year for the DX, more money than sense i know!

To transfer a plate between vehicles is $160 (£80) but you can hold the number plate on paper and that costs $50 (£25) a year then you have to pay to transfer from paper to vehicle @ $160 (£80)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts