Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Engineer
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the maximum displacement possible on a 'Rod engine with currently obtainable, off-the-shelf aftermarket parts.

Discuss. :)

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
The 1600 range (1611) is going to be about as big as you can order the parts for. 4.35 bore with 1/2" stroker. Reliable = Nope! The 1550 seems to be the most likely BIG engine to go with although for reliability I would recommend sticking to a 1/4" stroke with various bores.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Ken's good with numbers. I'm with him on this. For a point of reference, the AHDRA keeps the V-Rod limited to 82 cubic inches, if I remember correctly. (1344 cc's)

Here's the rule:
AHDRA RULEBOOK said:
Engine: Only 60 degree, overhead cam, water- cooled, V-Twin cylinder configuration engines are allowed. Maximum displacement is limited to 82 cubic inches. Crankshaft stroke dimension must remain stock. Engine case and cylinder heads must be OEM supplied and available to the general public. Internal modifications are legal. Engine must maintain steel crankshaft and connecting rods. Cylinders must be stock appearing. All engines must be naturally aspirated and all air and fuel must be delivered through an OEM supplied EFI unit available to the general public. Must be approved by Tech Inspector. Crankcase and all tanks containing fluids must have vent tubes routed to catch can or have a non-spill breather system on motorcycle.

·
RICK
648 Posts
I think AHDRA should open the books and allow poeple to build and race larger and turbo'd vrods. They still have other classes to run in, but wouldn't the fastest VROD title be great to go after, without size and aspiration limitations?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
o2man98 said:
The 1600 range (1611) is going to be about as big as you can order the parts for. 4.35 bore with 1/2" stroker. Reliable = Nope! The 1550 seems to be the most likely BIG engine to go with although for reliability I would recommend sticking to a 1/4" stroke with various bores.[/QUOTE ]------------------------------------ i think eagle has built some motors bigger than that. maybe they will post and tell us. i think they have been over 1/2 stroke increase and over 4.4 in bores.

·
Registered
353 Posts
lbrown said:
o2man98 said:
The 1600 range (1611) is going to be about as big as you can order the parts for. 4.35 bore with 1/2" stroker. Reliable = Nope! The 1550 seems to be the most likely BIG engine to go with although for reliability I would recommend sticking to a 1/4" stroke with various bores.[/QUOTE ]------------------------------------ i think eagle has built some motors bigger than that. maybe they will post and tell us. i think they have been over 1/2 stroke increase and over 4.4 in bores.
I just picked up a copy of Thunder Press and they have article about the Bonneville flats with mention of a 1650 V-Rod built by Eagle. FWIW

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
RNTRACING said:
I think AHDRA should open the books and allow poeple to build and race larger and turbo'd vrods. They still have other classes to run in, but wouldn't the fastest VROD title be great to go after, without size and aspiration limitations?
i would love to see that. one problem is keeping the motors together. a turboed motor of that size has the potential to make 350 plus hp. maybe 500 hp. i don`t think anybody at present knows how to keep the cases together at those kinds of hp levels. if anybody out there is keeping a v-rod motor together in excess of 350 hp i would love to hear about it and how it is done . making big hp with a v-rod motor would not be the problem ,keeping it together is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts