Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking that I could get more midrange torque out of my Stage II cams by advancing the intake cams 5 degrees or so. I'd rather have 10 extra ft-lbs of torque at 3000 rpm than 10 extra HP at 9000.

Am I flirting with disaster or wrong in trying? Is there any gain in a 5 degree index?

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,935 Posts
Drop them in and get the tune you need and you will be very happy.

These cames are made for racing.

When you crack the throttle you'll have enough pull all the way up to redline.

When putting in, index all sprokets toeward the rear of the bike. Except the rear exhaust, index that one to the front.

We have found out the rear is off by 9-15 degrees at factory. Hard to think so.

Print off the degree wheel and check before you put in the cams.

I spoke with a guru about these cams and was advised to use the short stacks no matter what.

I have had really great out comes with the short stack. Harley made them for a reason.

All v-rods have that small stumble where the power band comes in.
You will not get it out no matter what.
A great tune can minimize that.

What tuner are you going to use?

Hope this helps.

·
I Hate Stupid People
720 Posts
These cams are made for racing.

When putting in, index all sprokets toeward the rear of the bike. Except the rear exhaust, index that one to the front.
IS THIS WHY THE COMPRESSION DIFFERS SO MUCH BETWEEN THE FRONT & THE REAR

We have found out the rear is off by 9-15 degrees at factory. Hard to think so. All v-rods have that small stumble where the power band comes in.
VERY TRUE
You will not get it out no matter what.
A great tune can minimize that.
rsc .. Do you think degreeing the cams this way makes for a much smoother and easier tuneability.. I think If this is the reason for the Vibration I get out of these cams , then smoothing them out I,ll get better top end with the NOSS..

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
another opinion...in my testing the short stacks hurt power badly...on our 1437 motor stacks shorter than the ones we run lost as much as 10hp..on a stock 1130 motor using a long front stack on the back picked up tq and hp...just doesn`t fit in the aircleaner....as far as advancing the intake cams i have looked at that with dynomation and engine analyzer and it shows a big power improvement including at the peak rpm.... real world until it is tried who knows but if you try it post the results....

·
all or nothing
1,372 Posts

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,935 Posts
rsc .. Do you think degreeing the cams this way makes for a much smoother and easier tuneability.. I think If this is the reason for the Vibration I get out of these cams , then smoothing them out I,ll get better top end with the NOSS..
another opinion...in my testing the short stacks hurt power badly...on our 1437 motor stacks shorter than the ones we run lost as much as 10hp..on a stock 1130 motor using a long front stack on the back picked up tq and hp...just doesn`t fit in the aircleaner....as far as advancing the intake cams i have looked at that with dynomation and engine analyzer and it shows a big power improvement including at the peak rpm.... real world until it is tried who knows but if you try it post the results....
Not a 1437... Stock motor.

You can do all kinds of thigs with these cams. It depends on the amount of money you have.

The bottom line is, What are you using these cams for.
To many people chase the numbers and that is just wrong.

If you are drag racing every weekend, then you will do what you need to to get every ounch of HP you can get.

If not then Drop them in and enjoy the mod and have fun with the cams.

Degreeing in cams always help. But making these cams smoother.
They are what they are. Find a Good tunner and see what he can do.

Mr. Vreeland recommends the small stack with the stock engine for very top end HP.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
i did put on the short stacks that came with the stage 2 cams on one bike and it hurt the power at all rpm`s but somebody else may have gotten them to work with a different combination ....there are no completely concrete answers when it comes to tuning...

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
i did put on the short stacks that came with the stage 2 cams on one bike and it hurt the power at all rpm`s but somebody else may have gotten them to work with a different combination ....there are no completely concrete answers when it comes to tuning...
When I ran the short stacks I had the same issues, and the power comes in all at high RPM (over 7K). Torque was lower (even vs. stock cams) below 5000 RPM. The stock stacks still produced the most power at high RPM, and TQ and HP were significantly higher through the entire range. The motohouligan stacks (which have wider bells, are longer than the short stacks (slightly longer than the shorter stock stack) and are equal size seem to be even better for making power across the entire band.

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
I am using the factory stacks with my set up & Chad @ Vreelands tuned my bike. After being on the dyno for 2.5 hours he took it for a test ride, I walked over to him & saw that he was smiling when he got back, so I said... "Everythings cool?" He replied with "These bikes are amazing." Nuff said...

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
i will make one statement that i will absolutely guarantee... there is a lot of hp to gain or loose with the design of the velocity stacks and the complete intake tract... if you get it totally figured out please pm me and let me know the answer....

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,935 Posts
i will make one statement that i will absolutely guarantee... there is a lot of hp to gain or loose with the design of the velocity stacks and the complete intake tract... if you get it totally figured out please pm me and let me know the answer....
:them:

We both would be very rich men...lol

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
Apparently from lbrown's and VrodPete's results Big Bores benefit better from the stock/longer stacs? Has anyone asked Scott Fitz's findings or opinions on this subject? I know he builds lots of BBs for the street, which would requiere maybe somewhat different setups and tuning than racetrack only builds...

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
I just read an article about this. While there are gains to be made with different stacks, it appears to be far more black magic than science.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts