Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Max, I finally after two weeks was able to get the CFR Series 1 swingarm mounted. That is it is at least on. But the Belt (Stock) is up against my rear tire, such that if I were to turn the wheel the belt would drag and rub against the black tire wall.

I talked with Carey's operation and all of my spacers are correct. Maybe I was supposed to buy a narrow belt, I do not know but this set up is not working with the stock belt.

Tru;y one hell of a nightmare working with this CFR swingarm. I cannot bekieve I have been trying to install this swingarm for 2 1/2 weeks. What's up

CW

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
oldfox said:
Max, I finally after two weeks was able to get the CFR Series 1 swingarm mounted. That is it is at least on. But the Belt (Stock) is up against my rear tire, such that if I were to turn the wheel the belt would drag and rub against the black tire wall.

I talked with Carey's operation and all of my spacers are correct. Maybe I was supposed to buy a narrow belt, I do not know but this set up is not working with the stock belt.

Tru;y one hell of a nightmare working with this CFR swingarm. I cannot bekieve I have been trying to install this swingarm for 2 1/2 weeks. What's up

CW

The spacing of the tire and the belt should be the same as it was with your previous swing arm, there are no spacers between the pulley and the wheel so it sounds like your tire may not be aligned properly. THis would be one of those times even a cell phone camera would help a lot to see what your working with. Make sure I understand you,

You have a stock width wheel and 180 tire and your belt is touching the tire?
The alignment washers have three settings, are you in the middle setting on each side?
Is your tire dead center right now on the back fender?
If you have a stock wheel I remember you were changing the front pulley, with a stock rear wheel there is no need to change the front pulley. Is the belt running true on the front pulley or could it be pulling off the edge?

·
REGUL8
891 Posts
This guy is the Wizard of V

Max said:
The spacing of the tire and the belt should be the same as it was with your previous swing arm, there are no spacers between the pulley and the wheel so it sounds like your tire may not be aligned properly. THis would be one of those times even a cell phone camera would help a lot to see what your working with. Make sure I understand you,

You have a stock width wheel and 180 tire and your belt is touching the tire?
The alignment washers have three settings, are you in the middle setting on each side?
Is your tire dead center right now on the back fender?
If you have a stock wheel I remember you were changing the front pulley, with a stock rear wheel there is no need to change the front pulley. Is the belt running true on the front pulley or could it be pulling off the edge?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Max:

I have a Performance Machine wheel that was widened by Kossman. I changed the front pully from stock to the one CFR sent me with their swingarm.

What is happening is the rear pully is causing the belt to rub up against the tire. I talked at length with Carey just now and he is speculating that Kossman widened the wheel but did not widen the ? (I forget the part's name) that would cause the rear pully to sit out further away from the tire. Imagine the pully sitting inward from the diameter of the tire. He explain that you not only have to widen the wheel but you have then compensate by expaning some part so that the pully will sit out.

Oh well, looks like another summer without riding. This is now 2 years without my bike. What a mess. For all of those who are considering getting your wheels widened by V-Mod, DON"T DO IT. It has cost me two years of no bike!!

MAx if you can think of anything for me to try before me sending this wheel off again to California to Carey for him to work with, please let me know, as I am truly desparate at this point

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
Sounds like you need the spacer (I believe Kosman sells) for the compensator bowl. This will push it out further to solve the problem.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bproulxvrod:

What you write gives me hope. Will you and anyone else expond on this, as I am hanging on slender threads of hope at this point.

Come on guys, giving a drowning guy some hope

C

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
The compensator bowl is what holds the rubber cush drive and then you press the pulley into it. I had PM wheels and they utilize the stock cush drive. I know I've seen on here where someone showed the spacer that Kosman or V-mod sells that pushes out the compensator bowl to allow for the tire clearance on the widened rim. I'll see if I can dig up a pic.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bproulxvrod:

Man you are breathing life into a dying soul. Please all help is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
No pics yet, but the spacer is 5/8" from what I've read. Not sure if you know of any local machine shops but it can be easily made if you know of any.

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bproulxvrod:

In the picture that yiu provided, there is a =n aluminum spacer that is in a baggy. That very same peice I have just sitting on the floor and not installed. Is that a spacer of some sort that is supposed to be installed. Perhaps that is my problem. Again, I am referencing the polished short spacer encased in the baggie. Did I fail to install that peice somewhere and maybe that is why the Pully does not have learance

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
oldfox said:
bproulxvrod:

In the picture that yiu provided, there is a =n aluminum spacer that is in a baggy. That very same peice I have just sitting on the floor and not installed. Is that a spacer of some sort that is supposed to be installed. Perhaps that is my problem. Again, I am referencing the polished short spacer encased in the baggie. Did I fail to install that peice somewhere and maybe that is why the Pully does not have learance
Extra parts on the floor and not on the bike is not a good thing...:banghead: It is a spacer that goes between the wheel and pully through the bowl.. right bryan?

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
The spacer I'm referring to is the big flat one with 5 holes on the perimiter with one big hole in the center. This spacer will go between the compensator bowl and the wheel (as Biker Bill said). The spacer in the baggy is important too. That spacer goes between the pulley and the compensator bowl. Without the spacer the two bearings will try to meet and will usually seize causing a dangerous situation.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes Eldiablo,

after bproulxvrod gave me the key words and put me in the ball park, Iwent and did a massive search and found the thread you cited, as well as others. I see that this problem of the pully causing the stock belt to rub the tire is a common problem with the widened tire setup.

I am just wondering if going to a narrow belt will be a quick fix or should I just stay with Kossman providing a compensatory bowel spacer, if they got something for a PM wheel. Is a narrow belt a quick and cheap fix

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
oldfox said:
Yes Eldiablo,

after bproulxvrod gave me the key words and put me in the ball park, Iwent and did a massive search and found the thread you cited, as well as others. I see that this problem of the pully causing the stock belt to rub the tire is a common problem with the widened tire setup.

I am just wondering if going to a narrow belt will be a quick fix or should I just stay with Kossman providing a compensatory bowel spacer, if they got something for a PM wheel. Is a narrow belt a quick and cheap fix
A narrow belt is $110. Then you'll need a new pulley or have it machined to work with the narrow belt.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Damn Biker Bill,

You answered that question. I guess I will be calling Sandy Kossman in the morning and praying he got some sort of spacer for the PM wheels he widened

C

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Total price for the belt, pulley, machine work, and shipping from chopper steve (v-mod) was $316

1 - 20 of 30 Posts