Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
One other issue when comparing different model years!!
I am unsure if Harley changed software on the V Rod when they did the change to big twins, but the big twins A/F command and fuel control correction both were changed to LAMBDA vs. A/F ratio.
This would preclude using one model year to the next based on "units"for both command and fuel control correction!!

(While Lambda correlates to "A/F ratio" of sorts, the "values" entered in the tables are not compatable from one to the other!)
All v rod maps I've seen both tts and pv are afr based.
Ron

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I've tuned with the nb sensors and the motor is happy as hell,
no problems of deteriorating tune, no problems with closed loop.
I own a '07 and did head work with HD's stage II cams,(which are a bitch to tune in itself) and had to add the O2 sensors as described in the manual because '07's did not come with them.
I have tried with the PCIII, and Thundermax, Both sucked and i couldn't get the cams tuned.
TTS did the job and the motor never ran better.
All the problems with air cooled motors are not ours.
the Vrod is basically like a small block motor.
go tts, get it to a good tuner, and you'll never think about it again.
Good O2 sampling depending on where the O2s are located can make all the difference in the tune. This effects all tuners regardless of brand that rely on sensors to develop the ve tables. Yours sounds to be sampling well since it retains the tune. I can only hope my 2013 locations give equally good results. I will find out soon.
Ron

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Docs Map

So I heard back from doc and I sent him the link to our little thread here. He didn't get to far into it but basically said Rabos was the most accurate with his notions. He also asked that I make sure when I add this to the thread to emphasize that this is not an across the board map for all 12' or later models.

"Now I will give you this map but remember what I said.....chances are it won't work that well for your bike and who ever else downloads it. I want you to express what I said on that forum because I don't want people saying Doc's maps are no good....I didn't make it for you or anyone else....it was made for Brian with TAB mufflers and his bike runs very smooth.
Doc"

He was generous enough to share the information with us so lets be grateful and understand that he is right each bike is different don't expect this to solve your tuning issues.

I haven't tried it yet but I will most likely give it a shot this weekend.

good luck f'ers

Attachments

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
So I heard back from doc and I sent him the link to our little thread here. He didn't get to far into it but basically said Rabos was the most accurate with his notions. He also asked that I make sure when I add this to the thread to emphasize that this is not an across the board map for all 12' or later models.

"Now I will give you this map but remember what I said.....chances are it won't work that well for your bike and who ever else downloads it. I want you to express what I said on that forum because I don't want people saying Doc's maps are no good....I didn't make it for you or anyone else....it was made for Brian with TAB mufflers and his bike runs very smooth.
Doc"

He was generous enough to share the information with us so lets be grateful and understand that he is right each bike is different don't expect this to solve your tuning issues.

good luck f'ers
Doc's a good head and will help. I've eyeballed the cal and it has potential based on all the others I've looked at. He is correct as in no two bikes will show the same results on the same cal. I see no reason why this one couldn't be dialed in. Hell, just about any v rod call works to some extent. Some might need very little and some very time consuming to the level of frustration. If you feel there's a lot of work needed to dial it it, try another cal. Hopefully this one will be more aggreable for your bike.
Ron

·
Registered
114 Posts

Doc"

good luck f'ers
I just put this file in my 2012 F that has Bassani slip ons, K&N, modified/cut air filter cover. It runs a lot better and does not have much decel pop. My previous file was the TTS air filter file and it popped like crazy on decel. Right now I am thinking this is good enough until I do a supercharger, no sense in me wasting dyno tune money. :D

Mike

·
Registered
158 Posts
My '15 F model

Been reading thru this thread, hoping to find a decent map to run. I do plan on having it professionally dyno tuned, but i am still building it up, so want a temporary tune in current configuration which is V&H slip ons, and HD hy flow air cleaner, topless. Am awaiting arrival of SE stage 2 cams, so just need something close to get me by. Bike new to me. Purchased, and popps on decel, and idle "hunts" going up and down 1 to 200 rpm, occasionally stalls. UGH..........
Anyhow, I do have the TTS Mastertune and am going to try Doc's tune, with the complete understanding that its not a cure all. Thanks Doc, and everyone else involved.
John

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
i have a 13 with Tabs and stock air box. Has any else tried this tune with my setup?
PV has more control then TTS. Don't get me wrong the TTS is one of the best out there but unfortunately Steve Cole never came out with the MT8, which has a few features that really help like Charge dilution tables, cam graph etc. The only choice is the MT7 and it's a step behind PV. Yes, I've used TTS on my softail which had the MT8 and on one V rod with the SE2 cam and the MT7 cal. It was no picnic but got it pretty good, even with the stock NB sensors. PV target tune would have been much better especially for the top end but used what was available.
Ron

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well, LONG story since my previous post on this subject. Learned THE HARD WAY, ALOT.
If you currently have a TTS tuner, my belief is they are about the best, but steve cole, owner and developer of TTS, has focused most on the. Big twins. He has some truly AMAZING calibrations for them. The Vrod, there is only 1 calibration available from TTS for the V. One must be intimately familiar with EVERY aspect of the system. If you have not yet purchased the TTS mastertune, my best advice, from personal experience is dont. Ron is right about powervision with target tune. Unlike TTS, they have more available calibrations for Vrods. NO CALIBRATION WILL WORK PERFECTLY EVEN IF IT CALLS FOR ALL OF THE MODS YOU HAVE. That goes for TTS AND PV/TT. If I had it to do over again, I would have purchased the pv/tt unit. The reason i bought the TTS unit, was when i called fuelmoto, jamie, the head guy there said "we have no cals for vrods with S2 cams. You will need to have it dynoed". So, I figured if I need to have it dynoed anyhow, may as well go with TTS, not knowing there is only 1 cal for vrods available. I took it & had it dynoed. Ran like crap. I took it back within 10 minutes of picking it up. The tuners response: " it's a characteristic of the cams and there is nothing that can be done about it" and also refused to give my $$ back.....
I went on 1130. Begging for help / advise. Finally someone took me under his wing and taught me how to street tune it. It took all summer. Over a hundred (easily) hours of riding time. Easily over 50 different cals were generated, most making progress, some not. In the end, it runs as it should. Like a raped ape. However, TTS mastertune is limited to a max tuning ability of 5500 rpm. From there to 9100 must be done manually, or use the "autoextend" feature. That DOES work, but it is limited to the quality of the tune from idle to 5500. If that isnt almost perfect, it will not extend worth a crap. Also, TTS is limited (which is a fairly severe limitation) to using only narrow band oxygen sensors. Pv/tt can tune to redline. Pv/tt uses wide band oxygen sensors. HUGE advantage. Also, pv/tt keeps intact the stock ion sensing that will detect engine knock, or preignition, and will automatically retard timing.
I ran my HDS2's for almost 2 years. Now I am going with a supercharger. While many have used TTS to do boosted applications, I am going to get what I should have in the 1st place. Pv/tt. In my application, i NEED wideband sensors. I also NEED to retain the ion sense / timing retard feature.
So, the short answer to your question is even with a bike with exactly the same mods, the odds of that calibration working really well on your bike are slim to none, but it would provide a really good STARTING POINT to tweak from.
I wish you luck. I love learning and playing with this crap, but can be VERY frustrating at times.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts