Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so the local dealer is going to change out my covers and gaskets, clutch and front brake, I'm paying the diff to upgrade to chrome.

I haven't looked at the rear brake master cylinder... should I ? Are they prone to leaking also ? 1,000 miles since new. Thanks.

·
Dean
775 Posts
Good call!

I should have offered to pay the difference when I upgraded mine. I didn't even think of that.

Anyways, I do not have any problem with my rear brake cylinder.

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
Rear master is usually not a problem, from my understanding. The front brake and clutch M/C's are bad about seepage. Seems to happen to all of these bikes sooner or later.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Rear master is usually not a problem, from my understanding. The front brake and clutch M/C's are bad about seepage. Seems to happen to all of these bikes sooner or later.
It happens to ALL late model Harleys.
Could you imagine owning a $40,000 CVO bike and having the masters continually leaking?
My 04 is starting to leak and peal the paint,and it has the old style on it w DOT5!

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
It happens to ALL late model Harleys.
Could you imagine owning a $40,000 CVO bike and having the masters continually leaking?
My 04 is starting to leak and peal the paint,and it has the old style on it w DOT5!
Yea, I would be a little pissed off, thats for sure. Don't all Harley's use the same M/C?

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone have the part numbers for the chrome covers?

42114-06A
Description:

Update the view over the handlebars with a touch of chrome. Kit includes left and right Master Cylinder Reservoir Covers and all necessary installation hardware.

Fits '06-later VRSC™ models.

I don't have the numbers for older models....

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Don't over tighten the cover screws folks. If the outside edge of the cover gasket is bulging, you have tightened the screws too much. If you do not over tighten them the gasket never leaks.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Don't over tighten the cover screws folks. If the outside edge of the cover gasket is bulging, you have tightened the screws too much. If you do not over tighten them the gasket never leaks.
:them: he speaks the truth

·
Registered
1 Posts
What if it is already leaking? Should I tighten more or get new cover gasket. Also it appears as though the window on the side is leaking. Is there a part for that?

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
What if it is already leaking? Should I tighten more or get new cover gasket. Also it appears as though the window on the side is leaking. Is there a part for that?
No. Tightening it more just makes the leak worse. Buy a new gasket, they are cheap. Screw the screws in until resistence is just felt and stop. Fight the urge to tighten them further. All you have to do is seat the gasket. If the gasket is distorted at all, it will leak. Be careful not to over fill the master cylinder too.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
No. Tightening it more just makes the leak worse. Buy a new gasket, they are cheap. Screw the screws in until resistence is just felt and stop. Fight the urge to tighten them further. All you have to do is seat the gasket. If the gasket is distorted at all, it will leak. Be careful not to over fill the master cylinder too.
Philthy is right on. New gasket never hurts. Watch the gasket closely when tightening the screws. When the gasket starts to show signs of stress stop tightening. Very little pressure to get a good seal. over tightening is worse than under tighten. Over will potentially destroy the gasket.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Rule of thumb. When the resistance is felt in the screw, add an eight to no more than a quarter of a turn and stop.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,387 Posts
Yea, I would be a little pissed off, thats for sure. Don't all Harley's use the same M/C?
The MC's are different between the early model HD brakes to the later Brembo units.
And they use different fluid, DOT 5 for the HD ones and DOT 4 for the Brembos.
The way the early ones are made you can over tighten the cap screws and it deforms/squishes out the rubber gasket. I just snug them down till I just barely see the gasket begin to compress and it seems to work best. I don't particularly like it but that's just how it is.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
I have discovered if you are having trouble with leaking gaskets no matter what you do then it's time to replace the thing. Just snug those screws down a very little.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts