Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I washed my '09 AW yesterday and noticed that both the front brake and the clutch master-cylinders reservoirs were seeping where the lid and gasket meet. :banghead:

Is this normal ? What is the fix ? Is this a warranty item ? :deal:

It has 1000 miles on it.

I did tighten the screws some, but they didn't need much...???

Thanks....

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've noticed this on my 08 as well :( Also tried tightening with no luck. Its a very small amount but still there.

·
Just a big ole Doof
919 Posts
Not to worry. It is a very common problem with an easy fix. First, check to make sure you have not over filled the resivoir. If so, remove fluid down to the proper level. There is an indicator inside the resivoir. Remove the cover, clean both surfaces with a clean dry towel, then reinstall the cover. Be sure to snug the cover down firmly and do not over tighten the cover.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I've gotten one new reservoir and one new gasket under warranty for that problem.

·
Registered
251 Posts
It's common...I believe it's so common it can be classified as an "undocumented feature"

It's cheaper to fix 'em under warranty than to redesign one that doesn't leak

·
Banned
1,783 Posts
Just last week I observed this for the first time too, I'll take it in if it continues to have it taken care of.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Dealer just replaced one of mine under warranty. It was seeping pretty good and the cover was self-destructing from contact with the fluid (~2000 miles on it).

Maybe they're experimenting with fixes...the seal on my clutch and front brake are different. Front brake has a thicker seal, and is the one that was leaking the most.

Anyone else have different thickness seals between the two reservoirs?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Hugh: your bike is running DOT4, it will eat the finish off your master cylinder. Get it fixed now under warranty.
Over tightening will also cause this leak

·
Dean
775 Posts
Me Too.

It happened to me as well.....several times. The first time it happened the bike only had about 300 miles on it. I had both gaskets replaced (twice) and both reservoir caps replaced.

It still occured, so I purchased the chrome reservoir caps...and have not had a problem since.

I almost think that it is a scam! The stock reservoir caps suck....so you have to buy the chrome reservoir caps to solve the leaking problem.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It happened to me as well.....several times. The first time it happened the bike only had about 300 miles on it. I had both gaskets replaced (twice) and both reservoir caps replaced.

It still occured, so I purchased the chrome reservoir caps...and have not had a problem since.

I almost think that it is a scam! The stock reservoir caps suck....so you have to buy the chrome reservoir caps to solve the leaking problem.
Agreed. You can see similar things in other places on the bike. Footpegs, grips, and air intake come to mind immediately. Not for failing, but for being in the "could have been better" category. They obviously want you to go out and buy Harley-branded aftermarket accessories.

Guilty. I've fallen into the trap.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Don't tighten the screws securing the lid too tight. That is the normal cause of this problem. If the lid is on too tight, the gasket is distorted and it leaks. Just snug the screws lightly and no leaks.

·
Just a big ole Doof
919 Posts
Don't tighten the screws securing the lid too tight. That is the normal cause of this problem. If the lid is on too tight, the gasket is distorted and it leaks. Just snug the screws lightly and no leaks.
Like the guy in post #3 stated? :hidesbeh:

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Like the guy in post #3 stated? :hidesbeh:
I know, but with this crowd, "tighten firmly" means tighten until the screw turns freely, then back it off a quarter turn. :D
I wanted people to think about just tightening the screw enough and no more. How about this, if the gasket edges bulge, the screws are too tight? Better?

·
Just a big ole Doof
919 Posts
I know, but with this crowd, "tighten firmly" means tighten until the screw turns freely, then back it off a quarter turn. :D
I wanted people to think about just tightening the screw enough and no more. How about this, if the gasket edges bulge, the screws are too tight? Better?
:rofl: I hear ya.......... I's just pullin yer leg.

Don't forget to super glue that bolt back together when it breaks.:angeldev:

·
Banned
1,783 Posts
Hugh: your bike is running DOT4, it will eat the finish off your master cylinder. Get it fixed now under warranty.
Wow, thanks for the advice, I'll do that.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Agreed. Pisses me off that OEM is not the standard for quality. I have 2 = both suck. I did get chrome for 1, and will try polishing the other. weeps cause paint peeling. looks like shit. Focking bull shite! just saying.......Joe

·
Registered
78 Posts
:them:
Mine have been replaced under warranty and are leaking again. Can't be fixed, just replaced. I don't want chrome on my NRS. I hate polishing chrome.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
:them:
Mine have been replaced under warranty and are leaking again. Can't be fixed, just replaced. I don't want chrome on my NRS. I hate polishing chrome.
the trick is to NOT OVER tighten the screws in the cover

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
the trick is to NOT OVER tighten the screws in the cover
Three years and no leaks. Don't screw the screws down tight, just enough to cinch the seal. If the edges of the seal bulge, it is too tight.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts