Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Loud and Proud
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any tried adding some of this stuff to their gas?

For the last couple tanks I have put about 3 cap fulls of this stuff in. It seems to make the bike run smoother. The old timers swear by it! It is supposed to lubricate the entire fuel system, injectors, top-portion of the cylinders etc.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Wild Bill said:
Has any tried adding some of this stuff to their gas?

For the last couple tanks I have put about 3 cap fulls of this stuff in. It seems to make the bike run smoother. The old timers swear by it! It is supposed to lubricate the entire fuel system, injectors, top-portion of the cylinders etc.
It is some pretty good stuff and soaking stuck rings. I would recommend not over-doing it with the additives. I use the AMSOIL PI at a rate of a couple ounces about every 4-5 tanks of fuel or when I remember. I definitely noticed the backs of the intake valves being nice and clean vs the black crud on them before.

·
Rollin' Hills
769 Posts
Yup---Highly recomended by me. I check my valves every now and then , and they look like new. It might be the engine just does a good job of cleaning itself, or the "Marvel". Anyhow for what it costs----it's not doing any harm, and makes me feel good.:D

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
I always quietly tell people who have troubles with their gas gauges sticking to put a little in every so often. It keeps mine working, if it starts to act up it doesn't take long after adding it. Then everyone asks me, "What's in it?" I don't know but, recognize the smell. My guess is it's just some kind of detergent/mixed with? I wouldn't lay a claim that I can feel a difference to it running better but, it does seem to clean stuff up.

·
Michael J
740 Posts
Has been a mystery since I've used it in the 60's worked wonders on Triumphs and Beezers.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
My Father swore by the stuff and my brother uses it in everything he owns that runs on gasoline.
Me,I use concentrated injector cleaner and some bean oil once in a while because I like the aroma.

Elrod on the V-Rod:moped:

·
George
5,411 Posts
About any parts store has it

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
It's DEEEEE-LICIOUS! :thumb:

·
Yeah, but what if...
4,714 Posts
Can you get it in australia?

·
Loud and Proud
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rollin' Hills said:
Yup---Highly recomended by me. I check my valves every now and then , and they look like new. It might be the engine just does a good job of cleaning itself, or the "Marvel". Anyhow for what it costs----it's not doing any harm, and makes me feel good.:D

You know maybe the stuff has cleaned out my injectors and intake ports. I bet with 22,000 miles I had a lot of crap built up on them. About 90% of the time I run Chevron gas. It could be my imagination or the cooler weather, but the bike does feel like its running better.

·
Riding the Rev
1,523 Posts
bdvrod said:
where can i get some would like to try it bdvrod
Seen it at Walmart, and Napa Auto.

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
In case anyone is interested in the technical, scientific, and accurate answer:

It is at best a waste of money.

Gasoline and lubricants already have perfectly good additive packages built into them. If you want to waste your money on crap like Slick50 or Marvel Mystery oil - go ahead.

But any performance or maintenance benefits are purely in your head.

·
Loud and Proud
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I love wasting my money on snake oil and beer, because it makes me feel good! :D

·
Sparky
205 Posts
DrHeathenScum said:
I like wasting money on strippers... coincidence?
paying taxes is wasting money...putting it towards strippers...not so much...

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
So Drew- the gas gauge just starts working again on it's own? And it's all in my head that when I add it, the gas gauge reads like it should?

Whatever is in it cleans the crud off the gas gauge that makes it stick. I don't find that to be wasted money because it is a pain to pull it apart and clean it. I would suspect that we all have different additives/quality or not in our gas that help/hinder the operation of the gas gauge.

Performance? Whatever good getting rid of the junk that maybe building up on parts just like the fuel gauge. Horsepower in a bottle? I wouldn't go that far.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts