Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I've got a really nice tune that I'm running (thanks Jeff, Ron). I've had about 3-4 AutoTune iterations on my bike since flashing it and the bike is now running really sweet. I'm able to do extremes such as:
  • ride as low as 25-30mph with a pillion in 5th without the bike threatening to cut out and stall
  • or thrash it about pretending I stole it - the bike has now begun to scare me

That said, the bike's lost it's aggressive nature/growl/rev/scream/whatever you'd like to call it. I am running a VRod after all... and I do like the strong aggressive revs and launches that have made the VRod such a loved beast.

So, here's a thought (and hidden therein is a question):

If I use the current tune as my base tune (lets call it the BoBW - Best of Both Worlds tune), how can I have a:
  • a PERFORMANCE oriented version, and,
  • an ECONOMY oriented version?
I'd like to understand what values I need to change, where, and what effect the changes will result in. That way, I can tweak values to get what I want.

If I've not explained myself well, please let me know and I'll give it another shot... thank you in advance.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Hi everybody,

I've got a really nice tune that I'm running (thanks Jeff, Ron). I've had about 3-4 AutoTune iterations on my bike since flashing it and the bike is now running really sweet. I'm able to do extremes such as:
  • ride as low as 25-30mph with a pillion in 5th without the bike threatening to cut out and stall
  • or thrash it about pretending I stole it - the bike has now begun to scare me

That said, the bike's lost it's aggressive nature/growl/rev/scream/whatever you'd like to call it. I am running a VRod after all... and I do like the strong aggressive revs and launches that have made the VRod such a loved beast.

So, here's a thought (and hidden therein is a question):

If I use the current tune as my base tune (lets call it the BoBW - Best of Both Worlds tune), how can I have a:
  • a PERFORMANCE oriented version, and,
  • an ECONOMY oriented version?
I'd like to understand what values I need to change, where, and what effect the changes will result in. That way, I can tweak values to get what I want.

If I've not explained myself well, please let me know and I'll give it another shot... thank you in advance.
Well, you can have it all in one tune and since you like to play with it. It just takes more work. Actually, timing takes a lot of work and a bitch to do on the road. As I understand it you have Target tune and also the Pro version of MyTune? If so and currently you are targeting 14.3, your common cruise range can be set to 14.5. Just do the cruise rpms only of rpms and kpa areas in that range. To make it more responsive, add 2 degrees of timing both tables from 30kpa to 70kpa from 2500 to 5000 and blend surrounding cells. Test it and view any knock events in MyTune. If you see knock events, reduce the timing one to two cells prior to what the log shows for position. There is a logging time lag so what you see in the log actually happened prior to the spot in the log. Do a couple more autotune runs to dial in the ve to the newer timing. I would not add timing to the low end below 2500 as it might result in drivability issues and would not add timing past 5000. Test this area only to see if it wakes it up. Added timing will also boost mpg some along with the 14.5 afr request. Have fun.
Ron

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Ron,

I have TargetTune, but not MyTune Pro... just the basic MyTune for NB.

I'm not very good/conversant with the lingo unfortunately... it would help if you could specify the parameter names too.

This is what I could fathom; please confirm:
- I should change the cruise ranges to 14.5. I think this is in the AFR?

- add 2 degrees of timing in BOTH tables from 30kpa to 70kpa for 2500-5000 RPM and blend the surrounding cells. The only places I could find RPM v/s Map(kpa) in pairs are:
Closed Loop Bias (F)
Closed Loop Bias (R)
Spark Advance (F)
Spark Advance (R)
... which "both" did you mean? I suspect you meant the Spark Advance (F &R) as you refer to timing?

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Hey Ron,

I have TargetTune, but not MyTune Pro... just the basic MyTune for NB.

I'm not very good/conversant with the lingo unfortunately... it would help if you could specify the parameter names too.

This is what I could fathom; please confirm:
- I should change the cruise ranges to 14.5. I think this is in the AFR?

- add 2 degrees of timing in BOTH tables from 30kpa to 70kpa for 2500-5000 RPM and blend the surrounding cells. The only places I could find RPM v/s Map(kpa) in pairs are:
Closed Loop Bias (F)
Closed Loop Bias (R)
Spark Advance (F)
Spark Advance (R)
... which "both" did you mean? I suspect you meant the Spark Advance (F &R) as you refer to timing?
First thing I would do is make sure you have full 100% throttle position at WFO. That alone could be your problem if you are coming up short. If all good there and continuing along, you are using TT WB sensors so the clb tables do not work in this case. They only work in non TT cals and for NB sensors.
Yes, change front and rear spark tables and AFR table for the cruise change. Basic MyTune is fine for viewing the spark knock events, just don't use it for any ve correction. Use the PV function for ve's. Just run a PV log and run it through MyTune to see if it's trying to pull timing and adjust the calibration timing tables accordingly. Chances are at only 2 in that range there may not be any detonation events. .
Ron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts