Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I was watching a youtube video of a bike that had a nice mod (I thought) where the map sensor was fixed into the air filters plastic topper. I feel that this should give the engine a more accurate vacuum reading and should help with the performance of the bike. Is there a kit for this or is this just someone who finally figured out where to put the thing so it looks permanent. I figure all the guys and girls ;) who run topless would appreciate this. I hope someone knows what im talking about.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
MAP - Manifold Absolute Pressure with emphasis on absolute... I don't see how you can get an accurate absolute reading of vacuum by putting the sensor in the plastic tophat... Every MAP sensor that I've seen is plumbed directly into the manifold, the plastic top hat is not an absolute 100% seal... Doesn't make sense to me why anyone would want to relocate it from its stock position to the airbox...

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
when i went topless i drilled a hole big enough to put the iat sensor in and it not come out. i used 2 green rubber o-rings on both side of the sensor to keep it from vibrating. i drilled the hole at the very front of the diamond shape filter lid. i've also seen the zip tied just anywhere near the filter but i didn't like it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im sorry guys it is the IAT sensor. I got confused with a different application I was thinking about. I Like the placement of the IAT sensor on the air cleaner lid it looks cleaner. Plus it may get a more accurate measurement. Being closer to the velocity stacks. I feel the more accurate the EFI computer can be the better the engine will run (obviously).

·
Registered
89 Posts
so is this all you have to do to take the airbox lid off? relocate the sensor? id like to remove mine does anyone have any proof if it helps or hurts performance was gonna start a thread but reading through others first

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
so is this all you have to do to take the airbox lid off? relocate the sensor? id like to remove mine does anyone have any proof if it helps or hurts performance was gonna start a thread but reading through others first
It will obviously create better AIRFLOW into the air cleaner assembly.

SEII Cam Kit from HD, recommends removing top (topless) and has a template to cut holes in the lower airbox cover - which includes a hole & grommet to install the IAT sensor in FRONT of the lower airbox cover.

So if HD recommends "topless" for better airflow...

OTOH - I'm looking to EXTEND the AIR sensor connector to relocate it between the two velocity stacks - as this will give a more accurate reading of air temps actually ENTERING the intake.

I went topless, with K&N Cones (RX4010's) and did a breather bypass, dumping the oil vapors from the heads to the ground (EPA might hate me, but my bike loves me)..

Note IAT sensor in lower l/h corner. Also note GROMMET on left hand side of lower cover - this is the HD location - mine is cable-tied to a cable-tie-chassis-mount.

Breather bypass - cutting off the "cup" that breathes oil into the stock aircleaner box, putting "T" connector to tie the 2 breather hoses together, and a 3rd hose that runs to the ground, alongside the coolant overflow hose...

Rick

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
the iat sensor is probably best mounted in the airfilter lid if you are running topless but just mounting it close to the airfilter will work properly..

·
Registered
446 Posts
No kit needed!

·
Registered
446 Posts
I am having a prob posting my pics will try again after dinner Sorry

·
Registered
446 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
ok let me try and get this right! LoL
No kit needed!
The first time I drilled a couple holes and used a zip tie. This worked very well. Be careful not to mangle the neoprene gasket like i did lol
[/IMG]
But I think that the sensor needs to be in the air filter cap. I drilled an 11/32 hole for the sensor. It fit very well but when I started the bike the sensor vibrated out instantly. Well not completely out of the hole but to the tabs on the end of the sensor.

I at first used a small zip tie but didnt like the look and wasnt sure if it would stay on the sensor. And I dont think the dealer would warranty a zip tie in a cylinder lol

To the hardware store I go picked up a 5/16 rubber and fiber wash. There was no way i was going to use a metal washer under that filter cap.
[/IMG]

After a 100 plus run or two everything is in place. And with the rubber washer up against the plastic cap it makes for a nice seal.

Now the finished product.
Total cost $0.80 for the two washers and about 15 mins of my time.

·
Registered
311 Posts
ok let me try and get this right! LoL
No kit needed!
Now the finished product.
Total cost $0.80 for the two washers and about 15 mins of my time.
After seeing this post, I did this mod myself. Home depot has the washers for $1.38.

Thanks for the info & pics, Swimdad.

Attachments

·
Registered
546 Posts
the iat sensor is probably best mounted in the airfilter lid if you are running topless but just mounting it close to the airfilter will work properly..
Question for you Sir:

1. Anywhere particular on the lid...top, side, or it doesn't matter?
2. If the sensor wires needs extending to reach the lid, can cutting and adding wire extensions and soldering it be ok?

·
Registered
446 Posts

I this pic I put a black mark on the top of the lid where i was originally going to mount the sensor. The yellow outline is where the air box cover was rubbing on the filter top. I doubt very much the sensor being relocated on the top of the filter lid would be an issue. But i opted to mount mine on the side. After seeing it in the pics and thinking that it came from the factory in a down facing position I probably should of mounted the sensor on the top.
I'm not big on cutting wires at all! And will only do so if necessary! The wires on the sensor are long enough to reach a nice location on the filter lid without cutting and splicing.
Your welcome Rick, post a pic.

·
Registered
546 Posts

I this pic I put a black mark on the top of the lid where i was originally going to mount the sensor. The yellow outline is where the air box cover was rubbing on the filter top. I doubt very much the sensor being relocated on the top of the filter lid would be an issue. But i opted to mount mine on the side. After seeing it in the pics and thinking that it came from the factory in a down facing position I probably should of mounted the sensor on the top.
I'm not big on cutting wires at all! And will only do so if necessary! The wires on the sensor are long enough to reach a nice location on the filter lid without cutting and splicing.
Your welcome Rick, post a pic.
Got it.....I'm a little scare about cutting and splicing the wires also. Will probably do the same as you. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Per the Stage II Cam install instructions, I'd suggest drilling the 7/32 hole in the lid and using the OEM grommet designed for the IAT sensor. (p/n 11361)

Nice, lightweight fibre & rubber washer is fer sure gonna get sucked into the velocity stock if it ever comes loose.

Ever wonder why the velocity stacks have that rubber o-ring down around the bolts? Same reason, to keep the bolts from flying into the intake if THEY ever come loose.

Not that this isn't a good idea, or a clean looking mod - but I'd hate to see someone hammer a valvetrain or worse, by getting one of these parts sucked into their motor...

Forewarned is forearmed...

Rick

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
I just drilled a hole same size as factory hole, and plugged it in. 10K later, works just fine! Total cost - zip! Had the drill and bit! Joe

1 - 20 of 21 Posts