Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my new 2011 V Rod Muscle and I'm very happy with it except the exhaust system. I' m ready to go with Tab slip on pipes and high flow air filter. I read a lot on Efi/Ecm management and I have to choose between SE race tuner and TTS Mastertune. What makes the difference is the possibility to find maps due to we don't have the possibility of any dyno testing here in Italy.Thank you for any help

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've installed my new Tab pipes and SE high flow air cleaner.The noise is awesome now. I need to retune ECM. As far as I learned I like Mastertune TTS system but I sent an email to TTS in order to know if already exist a proper map but no answer!! It seems I can't have any help even in this forum! Which kind of tuner I have to choose in order to have a help?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I will soon have a very similar set up installed, I've got everything sitting in my garage but am waiting on getting my bike back from the dealership after a botched backrest installation.

I'll be installing Tab slip-ons along with an Amsoil air filter running in a semi-topless configuration.

I have the TTS MasterTune, and plan on using the included map file (ZL176-002-B1) which is specifically for newer V-Rods (1250/O2 sensors)

The file description is as follows:

File Name: ZL176-002-B1.MT7

Configuration: 1250 A/C & Exhaust

Components:
-- A/C
-- Slip Fit Mufflers, diverter plate removed
I will dial it in as best as I can using VTune, if I have any problems I'll go to my tuner.

If any one else has any TTS map files that match these particular stage 1-like mods, please post.

Thanks!
WP

·
Nuori mies nimetön
79 Posts
I've been running this setup with the ZL176-002-B1.MT7 map. No problems, this map works fairly good "off the box". I've had no interest in V-tuning since the base map works for me. But if anyone decides to V-tune I'll happily test your maps.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been running this setup with the ZL176-002-B1.MT7 map. No problems, this map works fairly good "off the box". I've had no interest in V-tuning since the base map works for me. But if anyone decides to V-tune I'll happily test your maps.
This is my file after V Tune starting from ZL176-002-B1.MT7 map

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
I had a chance to run the B1 map today for about 50 miles with my new setup... amsoil air filter, completely topless, and Tab slip-ons. As far as I can tell, its running perfectly... no decel pop, and very smooth through the entire range. I won't be doing any Vtuning at this point.

WP

·
Muscle Man
868 Posts
I am installing V&H slip-ons and a free breathing air cleaner on my '11 VRSC-F

not sure what air cleaner yet, might go w/HD SE, or another you can clean w/compressed air.
please advise what air cleaners I can choose from (as I search this site as well) and will this same map work for me or is there a map for MY particular application? thanks, avman

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm using the Amsoil air filter... pm o2man98 for pricing/info. For me, there is no other option. :)

ZL176-002-B1 map works fine with it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
not sure what air cleaner yet, might go w/HD SE, or another you can clean w/compressed air.
please advise what air cleaners I can choose from (as I search this site as well) and will this same map work for me or is there a map for MY particular application? thanks, avman
I use HD SE high flow air filter and it seems it works .

·
Muscle Man
868 Posts
thanks guys, have you noticed or documented any performance gains since your exhaust/air cleaner/tuner change over stock? I would do this even if there was no performance gain because the stock exhaust sounds like a lawnmower mated a sewing machine.

·
Registered
291 Posts
As I've started to ride a lot more, I've noticed that I am running a bit lean. After studying the TTS base maps available for our machines, I'm seeing very little difference between the ZL (air cleaner + exhaust) map and the ZA (air cleaner only) map. In fact, the VE tables are identical, and they most definitely shouldn't be. That's a bit unsettling to me.

I'm going to VTune the ZL basemap tonight with a close loop bias of 759 and see what kind of corrections it makes. Will post up the map when I'm done.

·
Muscle Man
868 Posts
As I've started to ride a lot more, I've noticed that I am running a bit lean. After studying the TTS base maps available for our machines, I'm seeing very little difference between the ZL (air cleaner + exhaust) map and the ZA (air cleaner only) map. In fact, the VE tables are identical, and they most definitely shouldn't be. That's a bit unsettling to me.

I'm going to VTune the ZL basemap tonight with a close loop bias of 759 and see what kind of corrections it makes. Will post up the map when I'm done.
awesome bro-thanks-I am following your TTS MT info closely, and, as you know, am visiting a couple of other forums specifically for more MT info :thumb:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Here's my fresh VTune calibration. I was able to get four good runs in, and even cooked my rear brake a bit in the process, it seems. (see this thread: http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151568)

Here are my file comments:

Basetune File Name: ZL176-002-B1.MT7

--Nick C. (WickedPorter @ 1130cc.com)--

V-Rod Muscle
Tab Slip-Ons, 2" baffles
Amsoil filter
Topless
CLB tables at 759mv - should set CL AFR to around 14.54
VTuned four times. No blending.
Changed idle AFR to 14.3
If you have a similar configuration, give it a shot ... the VE tables look quite a bit better/different than the ZL176 basetune calibration. I'll be running with this from now on, if I decide to VTune it anymore I'll repost.

Attachments

·
Muscle Man
868 Posts
Here's my fresh VTune calibration. I was able to get four good runs in, and even cooked my rear brake a bit in the process, it seems. (see this thread: http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151568)

Here are my file comments:

If you have a similar configuration, give it a shot ... the VE tables look quite a bit better/different than the ZL176 basetune calibration. I'll be running with this from now on, if I decide to VTune it anymore I'll repost.
my configuration (equip?) on my bike will be V&H dual slipons, amsoil AF-NOT going topless. I saved the file you offered, but can't open it-I am getting my MT when I go to the shop in Lillian, AL. to get it dynoed-should I bring this file w/me on a flash drive?
thanks!

·
Registered
291 Posts
No need to take my file ... if you're paying the money to have it dyno tuned, they will do all the work to create you a fresh MT7 file of your own, specific to your bike.

My file is for those who will not be visiting a dyno tuner anytime soon, has very similar mods and exact same bike (V-Rod Muscle), who want a tune that will make their bike run efficiently and safely (for the engine) in those throttle position/MAP areas that are most commonly reached in every day street riding.

It's impossible to VTune a bike on the street and safely (or unsafely, for that matter) hit all VE cells long enough to capture enough relevant data.

A good dyno tuner who is up to speed with the TTS MasterTune will know how to properly tune the vital tables, most vital being the VE tables for front and rear cylinders. On a non-VRSC bike, they CAN do this with a dyno equipped with a load brake and use the VTune software. On a VRSC bike, they can do this too, but only up to 6500 RPM (plenty for most airheads, but not for us) -- the system can't capture data above those RPMs using VTune. side note: For me, using VTune on the street, I have to rely on the VTune data that I can capture up to 6500 RPM, and rely on the basemap tables for anything above that. Not the best scenario, but its out of closed loop at these high RPMs and the target AFRs are low enough that they're dumping quite a bit of fuel in these areas, especially when considering the Accel Enrichment tables and/or PE mode tables. It's not tuned for maximum horsepower for sure, but it's most likely not going to cook the engine either because it definitely should be getting enough fuel based on what the AFRs are set with the basemap for a (supposedly) similar VRSC setup.

All that said, a GREAT dyno tuner who is up to speed with the TTS MasterTune will know how to properly tune all the vital tables and will use an exhaust gas analyzer of some sort in order to perfectly dial in your VE tables on a VRSC bike up to the redline.

One of these days, I'll have a nice dyno and gas analyzer in my garage, making all of what I just said make just a bit more sense to me. All the information I just typed above may require correction by someone with more experience. My knowledge (aside from minimal VTuning) is strictly from reading, LOTS of reading. :D

·
Muscle Man
868 Posts
No need to take my file ... if you're paying the money to have it dyno tuned, they will do all the work to create you a fresh MT7 file of your own, specific to your bike.

My file is for those who will not be visiting a dyno tuner anytime soon, has very similar mods and exact same bike (V-Rod Muscle), who want a tune that will make their bike run efficiently and safely (for the engine) in those throttle position/MAP areas that are most commonly reached in every day street riding.

It's impossible to VTune a bike on the street and safely (or unsafely, for that matter) hit all VE cells long enough to capture enough relevant data.

A good dyno tuner who is up to speed with the TTS MasterTune will know how to properly tune the vital tables, most vital being the VE tables for front and rear cylinders. On a non-VRSC bike, they CAN do this with a dyno equipped with a load brake and use the VTune software. On a VRSC bike, they can do this too, but only up to 6500 RPM (plenty for most airheads, but not for us) -- the system can't capture data above those RPMs using VTune. side note: For me, using VTune on the street, I have to rely on the VTune data that I can capture up to 6500 RPM, and rely on the basemap tables for anything above that. Not the best scenario, but its out of closed loop at these high RPMs and the target AFRs are low enough that they're dumping quite a bit of fuel in these areas, especially when considering the Accel Enrichment tables and/or PE mode tables. It's not tuned for maximum horsepower for sure, but it's most likely not going to cook the engine either because it definitely should be getting enough fuel based on what the AFRs are set with the basemap for a (supposedly) similar VRSC setup.

All that said, a GREAT dyno tuner who is up to speed with the TTS MasterTune will know how to properly tune all the vital tables and will use an exhaust gas analyzer of some sort in order to perfectly dial in your VE tables on a VRSC bike up to the redline.

One of these days, I'll have a nice dyno and gas analyzer in my garage, making all of what I just said make just a bit more sense to me. All the information I just typed above may require correction by someone with more experience. My knowledge (aside from minimal VTuning) is strictly from reading, LOTS of reading. :D
thanks, WP..I expect Heath at H and D Cycles to do a GREAT job. SH!T-I am up at 'worst:30' this AM because my exhaust is enroute (UPS) to H-D today and as soon as it is installed I should get my bike back..this may sound childish, but the closer to the me-and-my-bike:kiss:'reunion' day, the harder it has been to sleep..

·
Registered
291 Posts
Updated map attached ... tweaked the AFR values/richened up in some areas and made it more consistent. Haven't had much time with it yet ... but hoping to put quite a few miles on this map this week. Will post if anything seems wonky.

File comments:
Basetune File Name: ZL176-002-B1.MT7

Version 1.1

--Nick C. (WickedPorter @ 1130cc.com)--

V-Rod Muscle
Tab Slip-Ons, 2" baffles
Amsoil filter
Topless
CLB tables at 759mv - should set CL AFR to around 14.54
VTuned four times. No blending.

29May11:
Updated AFRs, richened throughout/blended/made consistent based on VTune datamaster runs. Added more fuel at higher maps, leveled out fuel at cruising speeds, richened at lower RPM to keep cool.
Here's the AFR table:

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Running OK ... but still getting some slight pops/gurgling on decel, and some lean misses at low RPM (2000-4000). Richened the map a bit more, especially in those areas and in the areas where the decel pop is occuring (very low MAP in the ranges mentioned above.)

I also adjusted the decel enleanment table slightly, but I'm pretty sure this table isn't used with this calibration -- I never saw the decel enleanment activate during any of my previous VTune runs.

So, I'm on "Version 1.2" at this point.

I'm going to run this map until the end of the week... if it's still giving me some troubles I'm going to VTune it a few more times and see if that helps.

AFR table for my Version 1.2 if anyone is interested:

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Running OK ... but still getting some slight pops/gurgling on decel, and some lean misses at low RPM (2000-4000). Richened the map a bit more, especially in those areas and in the areas where the decel pop is occuring (very low MAP in the ranges mentioned above.)

I also adjusted the decel enleanment table slightly, but I'm pretty sure this table isn't used with this calibration -- I never saw the decel enleanment activate during any of my previous VTune runs.

So, I'm on "Version 1.2" at this point.

I'm going to run this map until the end of the week... if it's still giving me some troubles I'm going to VTune it a few more times and see if that helps.

I've installed your 1.1 MT7 file on my 2011 Muscle with Tab slip on mufflers with 2'' baffles SE high flow air filter but with standard close top air filter. It seems it runs very well, probably a little too rich but with mine It was really to lean with some missfiring at low rev.I'm very happy with this one and the response is incredible now. I think I don't need to go to your 1.2 version because I keep the air top. Do you have any upgrade?? Thanks

AFR table for my Version 1.2 if anyone is interested:

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm actually still working on it, I do have some updates but am still trying to tune out some decel popping. My newer map is a bit leaner in the middle areas, and richer in the lower end, mostly to eliminate decel pop. I'll post my latest as soon as I'm done tweaking.

Running with the top on should be fine with these maps -- it may run just a bit richer though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts