1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Southern Cross
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Rodders.
I am new to this and need some help.
I need a map for PCV
I am running V&H comp slip-ons with K&N filter Topless.
I am burning 98 Octaine.
I don't have Autotune.
I am in Sydney Ozz and the map I am using is poping when downshifting. Any help will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Hello fellow Rodders.
I am new to this and need some help.
I need a map for PCV
I am running V&H comp slip-ons with K&N filter Topless.
I am burning 98 Octaine.
I don't have Autotune.
I am in Sydney Ozz and the map I am using is poping when downshifting. Any help will be much appreciated.
1st welcome to the forum.

What map are you running? So we can have an idea what's up.

Try the map in this link under post #3

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141508

I am also waiting on a return note on a modified map for Italy I have it posted on this link under post #10

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143908

·
Southern Cross
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Map for 09Muscle

Eod,

I am running the following map, it was supplied pre loaded with the PCV for my setup. Dynojet said this was the closest fit they had.

View attachment M15-006-009.pvm

I will try these on the weekend and let you know how they ride.

Thank you so much for your help its much apreciated. You help a lot of us new ones on here from what i have read over the past few days. You do good work mate, i wish i understood how to adjust these maps a fraction of what you do.

once again thanks for your help so far.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Eod,

I am running the following map, it was supplied pre loaded with the PCV for my setup. Dynojet said this was the closest fit they had.

View attachment 159838

I will try these on the weekend and let you know how they ride.

Thank you so much for your help its much apreciated. You help a lot of us new ones on here from what i have read over the past few days. You do good work mate, i wish i understood how to adjust these maps a fraction of what you do.

once again thanks for your help so far.
May even want to try -011 or -016 from dyno jet. -011 has an AT table, -016 does not. Both will need fuel added in the 0% column for decel pop, -011 should be a pretty good economy map as the AT table is set at 13.7 AFR about the cruise range.

Thanks for the compliments....I currently have 4 PC V/AT's all in different powersports equipment. Just switching over to winter mode now and got my 1st ride in with my snowmobile this past weekend.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Guys,
Just joined today as I have just bought an 09 muscle last week.
It has V&H competition slip ons and supposedly a filter and chip.
I've just taken the filter off and it looks crap, don't know about the chip.
Bike is supposed to be fitted with a stage 1 kit!!!!
I'm getting plenty of popping with occasional mild backfiring.
Also getting occasional stutter at cruise.
I've orderd a PCV and auto tune from the US last night.
I am currently running 95 but am considering upping to 98 if recommended.
Only run tank and a half through her so far.

Muscl...did you find a good map for your setup?
Have you managed to reduce the popping and backfire?

Do you know a good dyno operator for the Muscle?
The one near me apparently has an attitude and charges like the proverbial.
I've also heard that Frasers at Homebush are fairly useless with the dyno.
I know of a couple of others in the southern area of Sydney but have not heard any reputations.
Can you help at all?
Regards

·
Southern Cross
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Musclered, I have been working on the map and have most of the popping fixed. Will keep working on it till it's fixed. Let me know when you have your PCV and I will post you a map.
As for the dyne I have not had mine done yet. I get mine serviced at Trivette and they are ok but I hear that Blacktown Harley as very good. You should replace your air cleaner with the K&N, aim running mine topless and it's running great. I might buy the Auto Tune and have it dyne,d.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Excellent.
Thanks for the assist.
Will keep in touch.
I just ordered the K&N from the states, should come with the PCV and auto-tune.
$50 instead of $150...go figure!!!
cheers

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi again,
Just gone topless this arvo, easy job.
Also took out the backing panels behind the mesh on the air box.
Idles just fine.
Too wet to go out for a run, and the next few days aren't looking real bright either.
Will wait til the pcv, auto-tune and the K&N arrive then I'll organise a dyno tune to make sure I'm not running too lean/rich.
Hopefully your (and others) work on the map(s) will have settled by then and there won't need to be much tweaking.
Thanks for your work guys in trying to sort these "glitches".
You would think that Dynojet would be able to get it right with all their r&d capabilities.
Lucky we're not in Alaska or northern states USA or we'd be dreamin by now not riding.
cheers
PS I wonder if we need to make any adjustments to the afr or anything cos we're upside down :):):)

·
Flat Broke
282 Posts
Gonna bump this one. EOD, what do you think about the M15-006-013 map for the CFR slip ons. It looks like it has a lot of adjustments in the Ignition table. Most other maps don't have that. Just curious, you seem like you know what your doing with these things and I have no idea. I am still a little leery about the o2 bypass and am debating the auto tune.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Gonna bump this one. EOD, what do you think about the M15-006-013 map for the CFR slip ons. It looks like it has a lot of adjustments in the Ignition table. Most other maps don't have that. Just curious, you seem like you know what your doing with these things and I have no idea. I am still a little leery about the o2 bypass and am debating the auto tune.
Without having the AT and LCD screen hooked up or taking it to a dyno you are playing a little russian roulette. On the other side of that is that as I have run some of these maps I did find that they some are rather rich. I made a post a few months back about runnning a couple of maps and actually did find one extremely lean (15+ to 1 afr).

Now specifically on the -013 map, I show that map as being used with Carey Faas slipons. I think you will find a few problems in the 3k to 4k area with the extra 2* timing. The other thing is that the base map is a little weird from 1750 to 3000 rpm's and then again from the 3750 to 4750 area on the #1 cylinder....#2 has the same thing going on but not near as extreme. If interested in running map and have issues try doubling the numbers on the base map to help fix issues and then tune back from there. Where there is a negative number I would make it at least half of the whole number above it....for example at 1750 line 40% throttle is a 21, at 2000 it is a minus 6, I would change that to at least a 10.

Sometimes the numbers get wacked out like that when there is not enough time spent at that rpm range or even a deceleration thru that area will cause some of the secued numbers. One other thing to consider and I know we all like to have as much contriol of tuning as possible but think about changing the map to a 500 rpm step map instead of 250 rpm step makes it alot easier to help tune and then exapand the map after you are happy.
If you average the number above it and below it it will usually be pretty close to the required number for that in between 250 rpm line.

Now understand that these are best guesses on my part and I mess with the stock timing very little for day to day running as I found the stock ecm will pull almost 50* of timing when cruising, so another 2* or 4* will not be much of an enhancement.

·
Flat Broke
282 Posts
Without having the AT and LCD screen hooked up or taking it to a dyno you are playing a little russian roulette. On the other side of that is that as I have run some of these maps I did find that they some are rather rich. I made a post a few months back about runnning a couple of maps and actually did find one extremely lean (15+ to 1 afr).

Now specifically on the -013 map, I show that map as being used with Carey Faas slipons. I think you will find a few problems in the 3k to 4k area with the extra 2* timing. The other thing is that the base map is a little weird from 1750 to 3000 rpm's and then again from the 3750 to 4750 area on the #1 cylinder....#2 has the same thing going on but not near as extreme. If interested in running map and have issues try doubling the numbers on the base map to help fix issues and then tune back from there. Where there is a negative number I would make it at least half of the whole number above it....for example at 1750 line 40% throttle is a 21, at 2000 it is a minus 6, I would change that to at least a 10.

Sometimes the numbers get wacked out like that when there is not enough time spent at that rpm range or even a deceleration thru that area will cause some of the secued numbers. One other thing to consider and I know we all like to have as much contriol of tuning as possible but think about changing the map to a 500 rpm step map instead of 250 rpm step makes it alot easier to help tune and then exapand the map after you are happy.
If you average the number above it and below it it will usually be pretty close to the required number for that in between 250 rpm line.

Now understand that these are best guesses on my part and I mess with the stock timing very little for day to day running as I found the stock ecm will pull almost 50* of timing when cruising, so another 2* or 4* will not be much of an enhancement.
:notworth: I see I asked the right person. I had to read it a couple times for it to fully register. lol. Thank you for the in depth explanation. I am currently running the -016 map and it seems to be pretty rich. I plan on getting Dyno tuned next month but want to get the best map possible right now. The -016 map only has the timing table at the 80 and 100% marks. That is what got me curious about the other Map. It had a lot more adjustments to timing. I downloaded the how to from DynoJet and will start to play a little. I wish I had an AFR meter.

·
Flat Broke
282 Posts
Oh, maybe this is a noob question, but why do the 1 and 2 cylinders differ so much on each map?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi all.
Got the K&N, the PCV and the autotune.
Fitted the K&N and the PCV. Uploaded map 15 as recommended by Dynojet.
Runs ok but still a lot of popping and "missing" at cruise.
Chews juice like nothing else.
Next I downloaded map "Muscle....Economy Cruise.pvm" by Crazie.
A little better...Still got popping and occasional stutter at cruise but doesn't seem to chew as much juice.
I get the feeling I'm going to be stuck with this popping, but I shouldn't have to put up with the "stutter/misfire" at cruise.
I hear a lot of HD's coming and going where I hang out, but most of them don't seem to pop as much as mine, if at all.
I'm not really any good at this map modification thing as I have no idea whether I should be adding fuel or taking it out and at what revs and throttles.
I'm not going to fit the autotune until it's up and running ok.
I guess it's a trip to the dyno in the new year and hope that they know what they are doing.
Cheers all.
Hope all had a great xmas and all the best for the new year

·
Registered
818 Posts
Oh, maybe this is a noob question, but why do the 1 and 2 cylinders differ so much on each map?
Just so you know, I am the ultimate Shadetree mechanic not an engineer. So based on that statement the reason, well the one that I like anyway, is because of the firing order of the injectors, cylinder temperature, intake variance, exhaust variance(which is a big deal on the "F") and even spark intensity could be a factor.......But if all things were 100%equal then they would be equal. If you have an IR temp probe take a couple of readings from the engine area and you will see about a 50 degree difference sometimes. That in it self is enough to warrant a fueling change.

I have thought about increasing the size of the feeds, plus increasing the pressure to see how much improvement, if any, I can get. It is one of the things that I use to do to my injected snowmobiles instead of buying a chips or programmers. Now having the PC V for my sled I have both(above mentioned mods) and the PC V wants to take fuel out most days.

MuscleRed,
Look up my maps from back about August time frame. Wish I could repost them or get them listed on the forum somewhere.

A stutter at cruise add fuel look at an increase of about 20 to 25 precent of your current value, mostly at 10%, 15% and 20% throttle values at about your rpm range. Decel pop add fuel in your 0% throttle range, but realize you will still have decel pop if you do not let the throttle fully close, put in a 10 or 15 starting at 2000 up to at least 4000 or higher as needed. You can start with the lower number and work up to eliminate the pop taking note on the tach about where you are getting it.

Try the map in this link under post #3

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141508

You Aussie's make me so jealous. One of my co-workers just came back from Australia after being there for 2 months with his bike. Man what a time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the info EOD.
My PCV software program won't recognise the "latest alaska map.pvm" for whatever reasons.
Will try making some adjustments to a map when I get the chance.

No need to be jealous about Oz at the moment...
40c+ in the west.
Massive rain and flooding in the north east.
Gale force winds for the one major sailboat race in this country.
and we've given up and gone home in our supposedly greatest game...cricket
and just generally rain and crap

By the way....who's up for the superbowl this year???

Still there are probably any number of ski bunnies (wankers) in this country who think you can go out and have a ball skiing to your hearts content 24/7.

Thanks again for your efforts.
I guess if you can't go out and play with the polar bears you might as well mess with your bike(s)...great opportunity to strip, modify and rebuild.
We don't tend to do that so much cos we might miss a great days riding...
... oops sorry!!! ;))
cheers

·
Registered
818 Posts
Thanks for the info EOD.
My PCV software program won't recognise the "latest alaska map.pvm" for whatever reasons.

40c+ in the west.

Still there are probably any number of ski bunnies (wankers) in this country who think you can go out and have a ball skiing to your hearts content 24/7.

I guess if you can't go out and play with the polar bears you might as well mess with your bike(s)...great opportunity to strip, modify and rebuild.
... oops sorry!!! ;))
cheers
I am currently away from home and getting to good web access sometimes is a little difficult but I will try to upload the latest and greatest I have with me, which I believe is from Sept or October.

I love my winter powersport activities.......but still miss riding the bike. I tried Arizona for 3 years and just absolutely hated it. Missed the change of the seasons to much.....waterskiing on Christmas got old.

·
Another Aussie
91 Posts
Hi all.
Got the K&N, the PCV and the autotune.
Fitted the K&N and the PCV. Uploaded map 15 as recommended by Dynojet.
Runs ok but still a lot of popping and "missing" at cruise.
Chews juice like nothing else.
Next I downloaded map "Muscle....Economy Cruise.pvm" by Crazie.
A little better...Still got popping and occasional stutter at cruise but doesn't seem to chew as much juice.
I get the feeling I'm going to be stuck with this popping, but I shouldn't have to put up with the "stutter/misfire" at cruise.
I hear a lot of HD's coming and going where I hang out, but most of them don't seem to pop as much as mine, if at all.
I'm not really any good at this map modification thing as I have no idea whether I should be adding fuel or taking it out and at what revs and throttles.
I'm not going to fit the autotune until it's up and running ok.
I guess it's a trip to the dyno in the new year and hope that they know what they are doing.
Cheers all.
Hope all had a great xmas and all the best for the new year
MuscleRed,
Maps from the US are not suitable for Oz bikes. For one thing their octane ratings are different to ours. A properly set up bike will not have the issues quoted above. You need to have the bike tuned on a Dynojet by a reliable operator. I strongly recommend you use 98 octane all the time. Once you have a base map you can then do some minor fiddling yourself. You can get the PC set up for maximum power or a flat AFR or even for better economy at cruising (within limits). These bikes are rather lean as standard and changing pipes or mufflers usually but not necessarily richens them up too much. I had mine dynoed up here in Newcastle for max power but then slightly reduced fuel at specific cruising revs and throttle settings for better cruising economy. I did not change the flat out power settings. It has been this way for three years now with no problems. Idle is perfect and no farting at cruising or deceleration. :D

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Thanks for the info EOD.

40c+ in the west.

... oops sorry!!! ;))
cheers
MuscleRed just wondering how you are going with your Map for PCV.

I am not far away in Bowral and I am running PCV, TAB Exhausts with TAB Filter.

I had the TAB tuner for a while but had nothing but trouble.

Things improved greatly with PCV install - I have some minor poping on decel - bike seems rich though overall. I am running Map 15 from dynojet.

I have thought about getting it Dynoed (at Moto Garage - ACT) but would like to try some forum members maps first.

If you have any success in sourcing a good map I would appreciate the opportunity to give it a try also.

·
Registered
19 Posts
G'day baz,
I ran 15 first up as that was what Dynojet recommended when I asked them. Way rich and popped a lot and "stumbled" at cruise.
Currently running "economy cruise" from EOD J ROD in Alaska.
Same problems but not as rich.
The other day I suddenly thought maybe I had an air leak so I checked the headers, not real tight at all..tightened them up but no noticeable difference.
Am going to try some other Dynojet maps next ...11 first, then maybe 16 or 9 !!!??
Someone said gas is different but our 95 is the same as their 91.
I'm currently running 95 but am willing to try 98 if anyone in Oz reckons it runs better.
Like Dorteerts said, dyno is the best answer, but would rather not spend the $500-1000 for the privelege.
Have heard that RB Racing in Taren Point is good so might give them a try in the next few weeks when the weather improves...not riding to Sydney in the rain !!!
You wouldn't think it would be so hard to get the damn thing running smoothly. I don't mind a bit of popping on decel but the stumble at cruise is a real p..s off.
I sit up at Bald Hill (Stanwell Tops) and listen to the "real" harleys roll in and they don't seem to pop or backfire.
If I do a full back off she just rumbles and pops a little, but if I do a gentle back off she pops and farts all over the place.
My problem is I don't know if I need to back off or add juice and where.
Based on Dorteerts track record I guess the dyno is going to be the only reliable way of sorting her out.
What fuel are all you guys in Oz running??? I'm currently running Castrol 95 in all my vehicles, Ducati 1098 and Chrysler hemi with no problems.
cheers

·
Another Aussie
91 Posts
MuscleRed,
The Dyno tune should be in the vicinity of $250-$400 not the $500-$1000 you mentioned. Make a few calls. The numbers for all the Dynojet operators are on the Power Commander-Dynojet web site.
Whilst undoubtedly through trial and error you may find a map that works OK for your setup however don't you really want something specifically for your bike. Getting the AFR right across all the settings is only something you can do with the right equipment.
All the Harley guys I know and indeed all the bike owners I know, only use 98 octane. It is OK to use 95 every now and again such as on trips where 98 is not readily available. Even though it is more expensive it is also the purest and will give better economy.:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts