Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it seems that the EPA not only has it in for us with regard to pipes and noise, now they want us to wear heatshields for pants.

As some here may know the air cooled crowd has been all up in arms over the increased heat since they went closed loop in '07. I'm here to tell you that the '08 V-Rods now share the same affliction.

I spent about an hour in traffic yesterday and I almost had to stop and get off the heat was so bad from the right side of the motor (pipes). Looking at the exhaust pipes you can see the heat discoloration. All of this is directly attributed to the closed loop 14.6:1 AFR these motors run at low to mid throttle. I have the Race Tuner and will be putting the lower sections back into open loop ASAP.

Here's a good article on the issue and an aftermarket solution. Of course when you get done buying 2 of these you have already paid for the Race Tuner.......

If any other '08 owners have experienced the heat conditions post it up, lets see if we can get H-D to remap these for cooler operation at low throttle (traffic) so none of us have to buy anything. They did it for the TC's it's time they did it for Revo's.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Mark I'm so so sorry, no I'm not you gravy dog with your 08 with abs. :rofl: Some how I know if anyone gets it worked out soon it will be you.

·
Banned
405 Posts
Yeah its very hot with an 08 on the right side in traffic! I put the dobeck fueler gen3 on my bike and it was running a little too rich for just holes drilled and so I turned it off. You could tell the difference just as night and day in the heat coming off the pipes with the extra fuel gone. I added a little bit back. :)

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Max said:
Mark I'm so so sorry, no I'm not you gravy dog with your 08 with abs. :rofl: Some how I know if anyone gets it worked out soon it will be you.
Yeah yeah, I know it's a tough life but someone's got to do it ;)

I knew it was going to run a bit hotter but I wasn't expecting to get 1st degree burns on my right leg waiting to get into a parking lot during a rally.....

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ElrodontheV-Rod said:
Gravy Dog.:rofl:

He's got a good lookin bike,I love the pin stripes on the air box.:cheers:

Elrod on the V-Rod:moped:
Thanks Al. I like them too, the ones on the rear fender break up the line a little so it doesn't look as wide as it really is.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I'll tellya,if you do lower it a bit and put a metz tire on,the fender looks like it belongs,I'd bet a set of 12.5's would suit it just fine and give it the older long look if the front was left stock.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Registered
488 Posts
I also have the 08, almost had to call 911 for right pant leg catching fire, IT GETS THAT HOT.. Need to solve the problem before next summer, I would hate to ride on a 90 degree day and get caught in traffic...THANKS EPA...

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
scotman623 said:
I also have the 08, almost had to call 911 for right pant leg catching fire, IT GETS THAT HOT.. Need to solve the problem before next summer, I would hate to ride on a 90 degree day and get caught in traffic...THANKS EPA...
Welcome to my world 9 months of the year :banghead:

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Mark,

I learned a bit about EPA when I got the Ducati 1098. It seems like they designed a closed loop exhaust with a valve to suppress noise and cats for compliance.

The whole system is replaced by most knowledgeable buyers before they take delivery by the dealership with an open loop system that goes from 54mm to 70mm, removes the cats, removes the exhaust valve, and replaces the filter and adds a new race ECU.

The dealer delivers it without baffles and with an inspection sticker.

This solves the heat and stall issue that comes with the stock system. They don’t seem to be concerned at all with delivering a non-complaint EPA product that is set up with full Termi exhaust and race ECU.

·
syclone
44 Posts
I've got a set of Tab slash cuts and the Dobeck fueler on my '08.With the o2 eliminators and the extra fuel , the bike is a pleasure now to ride... my right leg is no longer "well done".

·
Riding the Rev
1,523 Posts
Does any of this apply to the 07 models?

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
NightStar said:
Does any of this apply to the 07 models?
No. Just the ones with the factory o2 sensors. Some twincams had 02 sensors in 2007, while the V-Rod line got them in 2008.

RJ

·
l337ub3rn00b
227 Posts
I have an 08 DX. I don't like to ride slow with it. About cooks my leg in 50+ deg weather. I am not looking forward to summer riding with this issue. Recently its been raining and about 50 degs and its not as bad. But this is not gonna work in 80+ deg weather with the asphalt producing heat as well. Not enough heat sinks or fans for that condition. At my 1K service, Im going to change to a synthetic oil, better filter, and get it remapped to something else. I am hoping this will drop the heat enough to make it tolerable. I may have to bust out the old flight suit and hope the nomex will help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an 05 VRSCA which also runs extremely hot when in Traffic. When the fans come on it burns my right leg. Just returned from Biketoberfest with 92 degrees and heavy congestion. It was extremely unpleasant and I definitely felt like ditching the bike and walking. I dread traffic jams on this bike. Its hard to believe an 08 could be worse. Any solutions for an 05 that lives in Florida.

·
Registered
112 Posts
mjw930 said:
Well, it seems that the EPA not only has it in for us with regard to pipes and noise, now they want us to wear heatshields for pants.

As some here may know the air cooled crowd has been all up in arms over the increased heat since they went closed loop in '07. I'm here to tell you that the '08 V-Rods now share the same affliction.

I spent about an hour in traffic yesterday and I almost had to stop and get off the heat was so bad from the right side of the motor (pipes). Looking at the exhaust pipes you can see the heat discoloration. All of this is directly attributed to the closed loop 14.6:1 AFR these motors run at low to mid throttle. I have the Race Tuner and will be putting the lower sections back into open loop ASAP.

Here's a good article on the issue and an aftermarket solution. Of course when you get done buying 2 of these you have already paid for the Race Tuner.......

If any other '08 owners have experienced the heat conditions post it up, lets see if we can get H-D to remap these for cooler operation at low throttle (traffic) so none of us have to buy anything. They did it for the TC's it's time they did it for Revo's.
Mark my 08 runs hot as well , when you say "put the lower sections back into open loop",do you mean eliminating the 02 sensors and re tuneing with the race tuner(will the race tuner allow you to eliminate the 02 sensors).Also what is the difference between a race tuner and a power commander, do the 07 models of either work on 08's. Sorry for the stupid questions I'm new

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
I though my 05 was melting down also yesterday,although I blamed it on my turbo.Also had my road gluide setup on,with claps on my engine guards.
I'll be rmoving the claps.Thank God my exhaust is black,if chrome I'm sure it would be blue,and yes I run a exhaust 2 into 1,no dump tube.he turbo is spun
180 deg.

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
mjw930 said:
Yeah yeah, I know it's a tough life but someone's got to do it ;)

I knew it was going to run a bit hotter but I wasn't expecting to get 1st degree burns on my right leg waiting to get into a parking lot during a rally.....
You know.. if you are going to bitch about the heat.. I am sure my wife (JinjerSnap) would take it off your hands and I'm sure she wouldn't bitch and moan about the heat either!! :spank: :spank: :D

·
Dark Side
560 Posts
Rode mine for the first time yesterday with the Tabs exhaust and Dobeck Fueler and the heat is so much better. More reasons to mod now!!:D

1 - 20 of 48 Posts