Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A week or so ago I saw an article about a magnet that is made for the oil filter. It wraps around the front of the filter like a blanket. What it does is allow the magnetic field to hold metal particulate against the inner filter metal wall.

When the oil filter is changed, there is a small screw that is screwed into one side of the magnetic blanket to lift it from the filter body for removal, and then application to the new filter.

I wanted to get one of these, went back to find the magazine and they must have rotated the magazines out, as I could not find it.

Anybody have the info on this?

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
I have heard of them but I have never used one.There is also one that just sticks to the filter,without the use of a screw.
I think that any time you can keep metal out of the oil,that is a good thing.

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Won't help with the engine particles (aluminum is non-magnetic), but might help with the tranny particles...

·
Registered
145 Posts
www.filtermag.com

Garbage website. They don't even have 2003 / 2004 in the model year selection, and they are missing the VROD from the selection list as well....

Just by the model years not being current, I am leary about how good this particular website / retailer is

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
I believe you go by your oil filter size for sizing purposes on the filtermag site, not by the model of car, truck or cycle. I have not bought one from them but was looking into their products for our police cars.

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
I have'nt looked recently but you used to be able to buy drain plugs with magnets attached. Easier to see particles, you don't have to cut your filter apart.
Ed

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Don't know, dealer did the 1k service
Ed

·
FASTESTSTKBLTDRV
1,267 Posts
Rich Moran said:
A week or so ago I saw an article about a magnet that is made for the oil filter. It wraps around the front of the filter like a blanket. What it does is allow the magnetic field to hold metal particulate against the inner filter metal wall.

When the oil filter is changed, there is a small screw that is screwed into one side of the magnetic blanket to lift it from the filter body for removal, and then application to the new filter.

I wanted to get one of these, went back to find the magazine and they must have rotated the magazines out, as I could not find it.

Anybody have the info on this?
HERE'S A TRICK OIL FILTER THAT HAS A LITTLE MAGNET
BUILT INTO IT. REMOVABLE STAINLESS FILTER.
ALUM. FINNED CANISTER. FILTERS TO 30 MICRONS
INSTEAD OF TEN. SCOTTSPERFORMANCE.COM :cheers:

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
Magnetic filtering of lubricating oils is a concept that has been used in industrial applications for many years. Most frequently you will see it used to pick up metal chips generated by cutting tools, although it is also used to enhance the lubrication filtration on large industrial motors and bearings.

With that said, I'm somewhat skeptical as to how effective it will be in an automotive or motorcycle application. For one thing, the only suspended chips or metal particles small enough to make it through the oil filter media will be moving too fast (i.e. at a pumping rate of several GPM) to be much affected by the presence of magnets on the exterior of the filter body. Merely cutting open the filter and finding metal fragments in there doesn't prove that the magnets stopped them - most likely they would have been picked up by the filter anyway, and magnets merely served to concentrate them.

The best place for a magnet is at the very bottom of the crankcase, so that metal particles, normally suspended in moving oil, can collect there when the engine is stopped and be removed as part of the oil change process. That is why many oil drain plugs are magnetized - although I do not know if the V-Rod plug is magnetic or not.

I can't see any real harm from putting one of these magnetic collars on your bike, although it may impede cooling of the oil as it flows through the filter. But as I said - I doubt sincerely its going to do a lot of good.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
I discovered that mine was rattling and driving me crazy until I figured out where the noise was coming from.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Rick Nielson said:
HERE'S A TRICK OIL FILTER THAT HAS A LITTLE MAGNET
BUILT INTO IT. REMOVABLE STAINLESS FILTER.
ALUM. FINNED CANISTER. FILTERS TO 30 MICRONS
INSTEAD OF TEN. SCOTTSPERFORMANCE.COM :cheers:
No mention about Magnet trap on this filter Rick....Pricey too. Cool looking no doubt.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Anyone know the size of our filter off hand??

·
******* Viking
113 Posts
Magnetic chip-plugs are fairly standard on aircraft engines and gear boxes. But yeah, you need to install it in the crankcase. I can't see what good (or bad) it'll do on the oilfilter...

Thor

·
Scott Whitney
1,211 Posts
rjrivero said:
Anyone know the size of our filter off hand??
The K&N filter for the V-Rod is 2.97" diameter, and 3" long not counting the nut on the end. Another brand filter that also fits the V-Rod is the same size. I don't have a stock filter to measure, but seem to recall it was the same exact size.

The V-Rod drain plug has a magnet in it.

I will not be putting one of these magnets on my filter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts