Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, question for all you in the know, long distance riders.

I know the luggage rack says 10 pounds max, has anyone ever broke or damaged one by overloading it, if so how much weight did you have on it?

The dang thing seems like it could hold a lot more than 10 lbs.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Ok, question for all you in the know, long distance riders.

I know the luggage rack says 10 pounds max, has anyone ever broke or damaged one by overloading it, if so how much weight did you have on it?

The dang thing seems like it could hold a lot more than 10 lbs.
10lbs is HD's disclaimer... It will hold a bunch, but alot of weight on the ass end changes how the bike handles ... so thus a disclaimer (10 lb sticker) I think I have had 60 or 70 pounds on mine before.

·
That U in my mirror?
1,511 Posts
Not a real issue. Most of the weight rests on the passenger pillion.

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
I'd put as little as possible on it - you're hanging that weight behind the rear axle which will make the front end lighter. I've read a number of posts on here from people who've lost the front end and crashed and surprise surprise they had a tour pack on the back......

·
Registered
329 Posts
Glad you asked this question, and thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
i've put about 50lbs on mine before and ridden two up - it does weight the rear end down, but I also have progressive 13" heavy duty shocks. The bike rode great, actually very smooth :)

When solo, I put the bag on the passenger seat so it's located better.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone, sounds like the trick is to try to distribute the weight more over the axle using the backrest and passenger seat.

I am heading to the BBB rally on the 29th and its been awhile since I have packed a bike down, in fact and this is to Flexin the last bike I loaded down was a 73 Norton Combat Commando with 810 Dunstel jugs with flow benched heads and a racing cam.

Thanks again everyone
Good on ya all.

·
George
5,411 Posts
ummm.... about 50 pounds

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Capngeo, thanks for the pic.
I have both the Medium L and XL Bikers Friend bags, the Medium L stays on the bike all the time and I'm adding the XL for this trip with a duffel bag on top between them, much like your set up.

Great looking one of a kind ride!
Have a quiet one.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks everyone, sounds like the trick is to try to distribute the weight more over the axle using the backrest and passenger seat.

I am heading to the BBB rally on the 29th and its been awhile since I have packed a bike down, in fact and this is to Flexin the last bike I loaded down was a 73 Norton Combat Commando with 810 Dunstel jugs with flow benched heads and a racing cam.

Thanks again everyone
Good on ya all.
Rabbi, do you still have the Norton? If so, post a pic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts