Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Billy
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike has the mini sissy bar and fender base plate. I want to put on a luggage rack to carry a small bag. Will the standard luggage rack work with the min or do I have to buy a different one. I saw a curved one on ebay with the mini.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Not sure it's much help but I have the Mini with a Rack maybe some of my Gallery pics will help. They were on the bike when I got it so don't have any part #'s for you

·
Registered
394 Posts
The rack mounts to the baseplate and has nothing to do with the backrest/ sissy bar.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
NO it will not work with that back rest you have in your Avatar. You need the Tall Ugly ones with the pad. I know this because I have Both, the bike came with teh rack and the Ugly backrest, I removed them and replaced them with the same one in that pict.

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
agree with lux. the mini bolts in the same place as the luggage rack. you have to get the back rest that bolts to the front sides of the base plate to use a back rest and a rack or find one of the ones made that were all one piece.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I just checked and saw that you are riding an '03, so I may be wrong.......I have an '07 and the base plate has eight mount holes; the 4 outboard/forward take the mini sissy bar (basically a 4 inch tall steel loop) and the 4 inboard/aft holes mount the grill luggage rack. The wide tire base plate will take both; the narrower fender/base plate I am not familiar with and lux and wiley may be right.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Lux is correct. The confusion is that the mini sissy bar uses the holes for the luggage rack, where the low or tall sissy bar use side holes to mount to the baseplate. Short answer - you need to remove the mini to mount the luggage rack, and then decide if you want a sissy bar/pad or not.

·
Billy
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NO it will not work with that back rest you have in your Avatar. You need the Tall Ugly ones with the pad. I know this because I have Both, the bike came with teh rack and the Ugly backrest, I removed them and replaced them with the same one in that pict.
Thanks to all who responded to help me out. I know what the other pad is and yes it is big and cumberson but since I will have no saddle bags I need a place for my bag to ride so I can at least carry a few things. Again, Thanks.

·
~*~VDRNLN JUNKIE~*~
667 Posts
Look on E-Bay, Harley used to make a sweet looking one piece rack back plate that a mini would bolt to, much better looking in my mind. I'll post a picture of it once I'm home. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts