Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Are you loyal to HD?

• Yes, I love HD more than any other brand.

Votes: 105 53.6%
  • Somewhat loyal.

Votes: 58 29.6%
  • Not at all. HD is just another brand to me.

Votes: 33 16.8%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that you have a Harley, do you consider yourself a loyal customer?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For about 70% of us, the Vrod is our first Harley. Are you hooked now?
What about the other 30% of us? Is it a lifelong affliction for you?
I was at a Dealer today standing in the parking lot while my wife shopped.
I just enjoyed the sites and sounds of riders coming and going.
Some awesome bikes, some killer paint, some way cool Lady riders.
It really came over me how much I have come to love this brand.
Now that I own a Harley, I really don't think I'll ever buy any other brand of bike. That is so long as Harley doesn't screw it up.
Plus I really feel good about buying an American brand bike. Nothing against the rest of the world, just some pride in my country. Plus for me, several things say "home" to my soul... Greenbay Packers, Beer, Brats, and Harley Davidson. Its a connection for me. And yes, I know my Vrod is from KC. That's cool too. I also know it has a ton of foreign parts. The vrod is meant to appeal to another market segment so I can see that as well. Bottom line, American workers build them with pride, and I ride mine with pride.

·
----->
7,589 Posts
I have a NON Harley(Kawasaki Vulcan) in the garage however I also have a FatBoy, 04 Vrod and had 03 Vrod-RIP9/04. I love HD and I'll buy another one next year.

·
1,828 Posts
I used to be 100% loyal... however after having many problems with HD touring bikes, I switched to BMW to do my long trips... The V-Rod is the only HD I would buy again...

·
LIVE FULL THROTTLE
1,385 Posts
LOOKS LIKE THE " RESULTS" from a week ago...Where is DAN RATHER

·
Registered
483 Posts
Somewhat loyal.
I sat on the new Victory Hammer and have to say that i like the ergonomics, looks and what appears to be a very well balanced bike (it feels a lot lighter than it really is). Does that mean i'll trade my V-Rod? Hell no, but if i had an extra $16k laying around i'd consider spending it on the Hammer.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Can I be 100% loyal and own other bikes too? HD is a great product, they don't make all purpose bikes though.
Z

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
Loyalty in what capacity?

Motorcycles
Yes I am loyal. I really like the Harley-Davidson bikes and the Buell bikes and do not see myself buying another brand in the forseeable future.

Aftermarket Parts
Not loyal. If it works, I don't care who makes it. Not going to let any dealer 'you lose your warranty' tactic scare me from going with superior aftermarket parts.

Dealer Service
Anti-loyal. When I want service, I seek non-HD shops first. This is because most HD shops I have been to a) do not understand nor care for the V-Rod, b) do not listen to nor care for the post-sale customer, c) overcharge for their labor and parts, d) tend to use sleazy tactics to tack on excessive and unnecessary charges, and e) perform substandard work. Not all HD shops are this way, but this has been my experience, so they won't get my business.

·
Banned
15,036 Posts
diomedes said:
Motorcycles
Yes I am loyal. I really like the Harley-Davidson bikes and the Buell bikes and do not see myself buying another brand in the forseeable future.

Aftermarket Parts
Not loyal. If it works, I don't care who makes it. Not going to let any dealer 'you lose your warranty' tactic scare me from going with superior aftermarket parts.

Dealer Service
Anti-loyal. When I want service, I seek non-HD shops first. This is because most HD shops I have been to a) do not understand nor care for the V-Rod, b) do not listen to nor care for the post-sale customer, c) overcharge for their labor and parts, d) tend to use sleazy tactics to tack on excessive and unnecessary charges, and e) perform substandard work. Not all HD shops are this way, but this has been my experience, so they won't get my business.
:stupid: Other than dealer service (do my own wrenchin'). Unless it's warranty, bought the damn 5 year extended.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
diomedes said:
Motorcycles
Yes I am loyal.
Aftermarket Parts
Not loyal.
Dealer Service
Anti-loyal. ...c) overcharge for their labor and parts, d) tend to use sleazy tactics to tack on excessive and unnecessary charges, and e) perform substandard work. Not all HD shops are this way, but this has been my experience, so they won't get my business.
Good points.
I have had good experiences so far. Even so, I think there is a problem with service for most vehicles you can buy. I don't get a warm fuzzy feeling from any repair shop. They can all hose you if they want. It really is a horrible tactic for an HD dealer because they stand to lose so much. Fair, speedy, competent service should be a Harley dealers main goal. The motor clothes, chrome, and bike sales are too much to lose if they tick a customer off. My wife and I have spent a small fortune on HD since buying the vrod. All money that Honda never got from me. I'm so geared up now that I hope we are both set for the next 3 to 5 years. Either that or my paychecks may as well be direct deposited to HD.
;-)

·
Revolution02
3,978 Posts
I will buy what ever bike fits my wife or I , I used to think I was loyal but have had some issues with the dealerships in the area, just dont want to give them any more money!

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Dealers aren't all the same

When I bought my bike, I looked long and hard at the dealers in the area. I found a mom and pop shop that really take pride in the HD Legacy. They stand behind their product, they treat their employees like family.

When I go there to get HD Stuff, they treat you like family, as opposed to treating you like a wallet. They know I have a V-Rod fetish, and they are responsive to my needs. It seems that they all know me, my daughter, and my bike. The V-Rod is not one of their best sellers, but it does garner loyalty and respect.

I guess I just got lucky.......

·
Banned
2,313 Posts
It's sort of amusing that you post this, I just got a similar survay in the mail from HD.

Basicly, the answer is no.
HD has shown a big fat ZERO loyalty to me. Nasty dealers, poor fit and finish, chrome flaking, warranty claims denied.
No major problems, but the little stuff is handled so badly it pisses me off.
My impression is that if it wasn't for my checkbook HD wouldn't piss on me if I were on fire.

On the flipside, I like my V a lot, but showing loyalty to the moco isn't likely to happen with the way they've treated me and the quality control/warranty service I've experienced.

When I tire of the V-Rod and it's time for something new...
If HD wants me to buy another bike from them, they had better impress me w/ whatever it is they are selling (as they did with the V.)
If Honda does a better job of impressing me I'll go that way.

{I took all the HD badges off my V - fook um - when clueless peeps ask, I tell them it's a suzuki :)}

·
Registered
817 Posts
I buy a motorcycle based on how it performs first and appearances second. By that I mean the overall look. Fit and finish is more important than the looks of the bike and that comes into the quality issue.

Everything about the new Harley's seems to be better than ever which I'm happy
about since I sell them. But the quality of the bikes seems to be very good also. I rarely have customers have problems with their bikes and when they do we get the problem fixed. No matter what that takes. Before working at this dealership I would
have NEVER considered buying a Harley. If I wanted a cruiser I would have just built
a chopper myself. But I don't feel that way now and I've only been here a year.

I've owned Japanese and British bikes before. Japanese for regular use, British because the bike was just cool to me. I would buy either again. However, if Harley built a comparable bike to another companies that I was interested in I would be very likely to buy the Harley. Just because I would prefer to buy American.

·
On Eagles Wings!
1,601 Posts
diomedes said:
Motorcycles

Aftermarket Parts

Dealer Service
:stupid:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts