Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
THAWING In Montana
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the thought to lower my "r". It would look even more bad ass if it were two inches lower...the problem is, I actually like to ride the bike...will lowering really just ruin the suspension? How do you lower a bike?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Bgjames111 said:
I had the thought to lower my "r". It would look even more bad ass if it were two inches lower...the problem is, I actually like to ride the bike...will lowering really just ruin the suspension? How do you lower a bike?
You won't be able to take turns quite as sharp because you will be scraping.
The best way to lower it, IMO, is to buy lowering springs for the back and either push the forks up into the triple trees or buy lowering springs for the forks.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
If you are lowering and want to keep the best possible handling, lower with shorter tires/wheels. Go to 17inch wheels and get better tires in the process.
Buell wheels are a good option, many have done it here. They look good and don't cost as much for the whole process.
The Kosman deal with Marchesini/Brembos is a great deal if you have the scratch. You can't beat it but the ante is steep. Got to jump quick.
BST carbon fibre wheels are nice. You can get them but be ready for a shock, 3500+ for just the wheels. You can get Hogpro adapters to use your current rotors but even that is 100+.

If you lower with springs frt/rear, you also loose the travel that makes it a handle over bumps in the corner. A combination of 17" wheels and 1" out of the front and rear is a good compromise that should keep you out of the weeds. Get good shocks that keep you from bottoming the springs and you are good to go.

Be careful about sliding the tubes in the trees. Much change there can produce some strange results. nothing more than 1/2-3/4 inch. When you change the front down in relation to the rear, it changes the rear trail too. If you aren't a suspension tuner, don't do much in any one way and try to do it in stages. That way you won't kill yourself with a bucking front end close to the limit.

Good luck.

·
Chief
1,272 Posts
Lowered my A

I lowered my 03 A both in the front and rear. I put 12" progressive 440's on the rear and progressive lowering springs in the front. The ride is much better, especially with the 440's. The only difference is the sharp cornering is lessened due to scraping, but it is worth the benefits. Good luck with your decision, it was easy for me.

·
I'm Bored
1,741 Posts
Bgjames111 said:
You could just get a fat girlfriend.......:hidesbeh:

·
THAWING In Montana
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You could just get a fat girlfriend.......
ha ha...:chair:

You bought the fastest, best handling motorcycle Harley Davidson has ever produced ... Why?
you make a good point I'll probably leave it stock.:broke:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bgjames111 said:
Nah, I dropper the front 1 1/4 and put Works 14 1/4 shocks (2 inch lower). The bike rides like a dream.

Regards
Paul

·
Premium Member
4,144 Posts
Lowered mine with the 14 1/4 shocks and adjusted the forks. I think it handles better set up this way. I'm 5'6 and needed more foot to the ground. It makes it a little tighter ride and handle quicker in twisties. I love it and wouldn't change it back for anything. Took me several weeks to get the shocks but they were so worth the wait. Company I used custom makes them, and have custom made alot for R's.... Personally, I'm surprised Harley didn't do this out of the box... Took my bike from awesome to oh my gosh.... Do it, you'll love it!!!!!!

·
**RodhscR**
532 Posts
What do you do about all of the extra brake line up front? I think that stock it looks excessive. After lowering wouldn't it become a crazy huge loop?

·
THAWING In Montana
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Who is the manufacturer of the shocks you have on your ride (rear)? Did you just raise the tubes in TT's?
same question....

·
**RodhscR**
532 Posts
TheeRod said:
What do you do about all of the extra brake line up front? I think that stock it looks excessive. After lowering wouldn't it become a crazy huge loop?
Anyone???

Also Brian says that if you lower the front, that you have to lower the back as much or more. True??

·
Registered
308 Posts
I must admit I haven't really noticed extra brake pipe flapping around but I only lowered it 15mm.

·
Premium Member
4,144 Posts
Thats who I used. I checked my paperwork last night, but no part numbers. Sorry....

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
TheeRod said:
Anyone???

Also Brian says that if you lower the front, that you have to lower the back as much or more. True??
Unless you are talking about 2+ inches, then no. 1/2" in front gives a slightly sharper and easier turnin, almost like just thinking about it makes it turn. The point is that higher back, lower back is just another suspension tuning thing.
Extremes are dangerous in most things if you aren't sure of what you are doing. Try a little or find somebody that is an expert and run what they do.
If you try little here and there, you might learn something. If you rely solely on someone else's setup, you won't learn much. Depends on what you are up for.
There are tons of material about bike suspensions and tuning. Lots of stuff on the net. You can try and learn a lot without big bucks or frame machines. Or you can build Brian's bike.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Suspension and wheels

Guys

I am in on the Kosman wheel deal, 17inch Marchensinis, an i ws planning on going with 14 1/2 in shocks which i can get built over here in the UK, help with the rear end looks Gap between wheel and fender) as well as handling.

Any one got any ideas as to the effect this is going to have? I assume it will sharpen things up handling wise, but i am a little concerned about ground clearance.

Front Springs? Who makes replacements that are better than stock, and will reduction in length as pr the Hyperpro ones be over kill having dropped from a 19 front to a 17?

HELP, before i watse my cash

Mac

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
I thought the VRSCR has a 13" rear shock, now I read 15". What is please the exact number

1 - 20 of 24 Posts