Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any feedback on lowering the v rod by 1"? I would like it to be economical. I have read that some members had their oem rear shock "cut" by one inch. Then purchasing the inner spring lowering kit for the front suspension. Labor on rear shocks $100? Lowering front suspension kit $100? Labor to install front suspentions $100. Total $300? Your help is appreciated.

FOUR more weeks to DAYTONA BIKE WEEK!!!

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
The v-rods look bada$$ lowered.But,If you are scrapping pegs now then you realy will scrape with it lowered.$300 isn't bad at all.But i would get someone's rear shocks,that they don'e use,and send them out for cutting.That way you can have no down time with the rear shocks.
I can't remember what company does the shortening.

·
Banned
1,307 Posts

·
Banned
1,307 Posts
Dan said:
That website looks pretty cool. $69, pretty good deal as well. Anyone ever deal with them?
They did mine for me... Bought a used set off Kaz, Kaz shipped em to skullman, I sent skull man a MO, had my shocks within a week. I definately reccomend going this route. $170 for the same effect of $400 progressives, and the V-rod shocks look much nicer, no need for new bolt covers and such (additional hidden costs with the progressives).

Skullman can make the shocks stiffer too, for you heavy/two up riders.:
Example: He turns the shock so setting 1 is as stiff as setting 3. Thus setting 5 is like setting 7.
I had him leave mine stock, I just ride on setting 2-3 now to prevent any bottoming out.

I also reccomend only lowering the rear, scraping is not nearly as bad, and it accomplishes covering that "dirt bike" look you get if you remove the dogs ass.

·
backcracker
735 Posts
That's great, what is the whole process Skullman? Do we remove them and ship them or tell you they will be coming so you guys know what is showing up at the door? MO with them etc?
Thanks,
Dan

·
Skullman
36 Posts
You can always pay with a credit card if you have a PayPal account, on the web site. but most people just send a money order with the shocks. as soon as they get here he cuts them by the next day and sends them back.
He pretty much takes them completely apart and cuts the rod and springs and re-welds the rod back on. He's got a cool set-up.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the feedback. I am going to send them a pair. One member suggested lowering the rear suspension only. Will that look "funny" or should I lower the front also?

Best regards,
:ride:

·
2,552 Posts
VROD AL said:
Thanks for the feedback. I am going to send them a pair. One member suggested lowering the rear suspension only. Will that look "funny" or should I lower the front also?

Best regards,
:ride:
Lower the front also. It gives it a better look and it will not hurt you regarding scraping pegs because the springs are stiffer. Progressive lowering kit.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Frank Storms said:
Lower the front also. It gives it a better look and it will not hurt you regarding scraping pegs because the springs are stiffer. Progressive lowering kit.
Thanks Frank!! :notworth:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Kennedy said:
They did mine for me... Bought a used set off Kaz, Kaz shipped em to skullman, I sent skull man a MO, had my shocks within a week. I definately reccomend going this route. $170 for the same effect of $400 progressives, and the V-rod shocks look much nicer, no need for new bolt covers and such (additional hidden costs with the progressives).
Skullman: It would be nice to believe that just by cutting and lowering a stock set of rear shocks would give the same effect and performance as Progressive 420's. But, is there anything else besides just cutting the spring and the rod that you do? According to Progressive their shock has “Compression damping is velocity sensitive multistage, automatic. The unique bladder is built into the shock separating the high pressure nitrogen from the oil. This design eliminates the need to mount a remote reservoir and is superior to a plain gas charged shock.”. Do you re-valve the shock also to accommodate for the shocks lower height?

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Skullman :welcome:,
I'm not the forum Nazi anymore so it's cool,but allot of the members don't really know you so it would be cool if you did an Intro/Bio.I'm sure you knowledge and Expertise will be a Much Welcomed addition to a Great Forum! :kaz:

P.S As mentioned I have dealt with"Sorta" them and never heard Back and Believe me My Brother Kennedy is a Tuff you know what! ;)

1 - 20 of 84 Posts