Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum. I just bought my first Harley & it's a 2006 VRSCR Vrod. I am 5'7" with 30" inseam and can't get flat footed when I stop or trying to walk the bike back. Someone recommended the Tamarack Machine Work's 1 3/4" lowering kit. Anyone have experience with that product? I also have been reading about the Arnott's Air Suspension Kit as well. But, according to their website they start with the 2007 model. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I haven't located a lower seat as well.
Thanks!
And, I'm excited to be part of this awesome community.

·
VRSC est -03
3,096 Posts
Welcome to 1130cc.

Yes, you can try a lowering set of the moderate type. Do not go too low, remember there is a ratio between the length of the shock absorber and the rear swing, ie not 1: 1. Another disadvantage of these lowering sets is that the shock absorber no longer has optimal working conditions.

And in the event of extreme lowering, there is a risk that the crossmember in the rear swing can hit the fuel tank something you do not want, these tanks do not grow on trees ...

The very best solution is to find your desired total length of the damper and order it from reputable brands such as RaceTech, Works, Penske, Øhlins etc.

And, a stock V-rod 13" is too short. Do a search here at the forum "R" section, lots of info.

·
Premium Member
2,526 Posts
Loft1960 - I've got basically the same inseam as you 31" and have no problem with the height of the bike, you just have to get used to it. What setting is your preload on your shocks ? Put them on the lowest setting and ride it a while you should be fine, and as you get used to it you can increase preload if you want. I'm on # 3 alone, # 4 with the wife on board. The R was meant to handle unlike the other V Rods so lowering the front or back upsets the stance of the bike. You can also lower the triple clamps on the front forks up to 20MM and that will offset going to # 1 on rear preload. When I got my R the front fork was overly extended & stiff in compression, I went to 5 wt oil and after 18K miles the front forks broke in and now sit lower as well, with the shocks on 3 or 4 it steers very well, just some suggestions - as Knut J said search the R section for more tips - welcome & enjoy your R ! (y) :cool:

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
And, a stock V-rod 13" is too short. Do a search here at the forum "R" section, lots of info.
Even 14.25" shocks starts to be in the limit. Mine rubs licence plate bracket screws in the bumps when the preload was second softest. Driver only. I have different rear fender but I agree all the above.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of your imput. I will try changing the preload & see what that does for me. True, I do need to get used to it as well. It's been several years since I road a bike. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Previous owner put 12" progressives before i picked it up. I was very confused why I was being ejected off the seat every time i hit a small bump but then got really smart. I was extremely fortunate in that the swing arm didn't destroy my gas tank and that there's no sign of the damage what so ever.

Lowering the back of the R is bad, very bad

·
Premium Member
2,526 Posts
For some reason my shorter riding buddy always puts " Slammer " shocks on his H-D 's :rolleyes: Recently we rode over a set of train tracks ( on top of a mound in the street ) kinda quickly and my R sailed over it no problem 2 up, my other buddy was behind him on his Street Glide watching as my bud on his FXR bottomed out and the A$$ of his bike bounced up about 4" in the air and he almost lost it, hanging from his ape hangers. :oops: So Shock travel is good, even on the street. We spend most of our time rolling, and riding, not sitting still so that should dictate what's more important. Backing off the shock preload, dropping the forks in the triple clamps and a lower seat can make the R reasonable even for the shortest rider - keep the R an R and enjoy the safety of it's longer suspension - it really is a safety advantage ! (y):cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah.... I've decided lowering is a bad idea. Im going to try changing the preload on the shocks & see how that works. I tried looking for a lower seat (Corbin or Saddleman) in addition, but nothing for 2006.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Yeah.... I've decided lowering is a bad idea. Im going to try changing the preload on the shocks & see how that works. I tried looking for a lower seat (Corbin or Saddleman) in addition, but nothing for 2006.
Original saddle might be modified little lower by removing some fillings inside. Custom saddle makers can make this quite easily and low cost. Of course it will be little harder then but if preload is same time lighter it could be still ok.

·
Registered
368 Posts
For some reason my shorter riding buddy always puts " Slammer " shocks on his H-D 's :rolleyes: Recently we rode over a set of train tracks ( on top of a mound in the street ) kinda quickly and my R sailed over it no problem 2 up, my other buddy was behind him on his Street Glide watching as my bud on his FXR bottomed out and the A$$ of his bike bounced up about 4" in the air and he almost lost it, hanging from his ape hangers. :oops: So Shock travel is good, even on the street. We spend most of our time rolling, and riding, not sitting still so that should dictate what's more important. Backing off the shock preload, dropping the forks in the triple clamps and a lower seat can make the R reasonable even for the shortest rider - keep the R an R and enjoy the safety of it's longer suspension - it really is a safety advantage ! (y):cool:
I like my FXR but can absolutely agree with your analysis. Me and the girlfirend went for a ride this weekend (She like's the FXR because of the extra tall padded sissy bar), and we rolled over a slightly aggressive manhole cover. I felt the suspension bottom out and it rocked me, I can only imagine what she felt. Even my X doesn't have the suspension woes that, that FXR has

·
Registered
180 Posts
I run a 1” rear lowering kit on mine, no issues at all. It had 12” shocks on it when I bought it, looked great but rode as you’d expect. I found some stock shocks for it and it was just a little high for backing it up so I went with the kit. Happy with it now.

·
Registered
2005 vrscb
6 Posts
I'm new to the forum. I just bought my first Harley & it's a 2006 VRSCR Vrod. I am 5'7" with 30" inseam and can't get flat footed when I stop or trying to walk the bike back. Someone recommended the Tamarack Machine Work's 1 3/4" lowering kit. Anyone have experience with that product? I also have been reading about the Arnott's Air Suspension Kit as well. But, according to their website they start with the 2007 model. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I haven't located a lower seat as well.
Thanks!
I’m 5’4 and reach comfortably with a sundowner seat. Dealers will likely let you test drive a seat before buying. Check it out.

·
119WHP/88lbsTQ
138 Posts
I'm similar in height. I went with Arnott Air and HD reach reducer pegs. Very comfortable and the adjustability can't be beat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m 5’4 and reach comfortably with a sundowner seat. Dealers will likely let you test drive a seat before buying. Check it out.
I bought my Vrod from a shorter guy. He had a Sundowner seat and floor boards on it. He said that was the ticket for shooter riders. I took them off because I’m 5’ 9”. If you want, I’ll sell them to you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks!
Go get a set of stock sportster rear shocks(11 3/4 center hole to hole).They are plentiful & cheap($50 to $75 a set).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks!
I’m 5’7” with a 29” inseam - my solution is slightly different. Buy the night rod VRSCD - it has a lower seat right from the factory and a slightly different set-up. They were stopped making that one after the 2008 model year after what I believe was a 5 or six year run. My feet sit flat on the ground

1 - 20 of 29 Posts