Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys I have a 2012 dx pre upside downer. seen a video where the chap put his lowering springs in the fork tubes b model I think it was. my instructions say the top out spring goes on the damper rod.. does it depend on make of springs or can I put them in the tubes without stripping ?
many thanks
john

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
hi guys I have a 2012 dx pre upside downer. seen a video where the chap put his lowering springs in the fork tubes b model I think it was. my instructions say the top out spring goes on the damper rod.. does it depend on make of springs or can I put them in the tubes without stripping ?
many thanks
john
You either don't have a 2012 or someone changed the forks. In 2012 the DX used the exact same fork as the Muscle.
Ron

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
mines a anniversary model.. but what forks it should or shouldn't have wasn't my question
Big difference. Inverted need a different process then conventional forks like the A you mentioned. Springs cannot be installed unless you use a special internal nut tool in the right and compressor in the left. Directions should cover all that as well as spring orientations.
Ron

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know there's a big difference been around bikes all my life. my question was for the 2nd time. I have conventional forks and my instructions for the lowering springs say the top out spring goes on the damper rod..I get that .. just wondered why a v rod owner put his lowering springs in the top of the forks is there a reason for that ? and his forks are the same as mine
john

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
I know there's a big difference been around bikes all my life. my question was for the 2nd time. I have conventional forks and my instructions for the lowering springs say the top out spring goes on the damper rod..I get that .. just wondered why a v rod owner put his lowering springs in the top of the forks is there a reason for that ? and his forks are the same as mine
john
I assume you are working with these?

https://www.progressivesuspension.c...n/fork-springs/3055-118-Fork-Lowrng-V-Rod.pdf
Adding it to the damper would be the correct way to do it. The stack pressures wouldn't work out right just dropping it in the top, just with a quick view of the situation.

Ron

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes that's the kit I got and 444 12" for the rear... just wondered why a chap who seems very knowledgeable put the lowering kit in the stanchions instead of the damper rod.. surely it can't lower it properly can it ?
john

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
yes that's the kit I got and 444 12" for the rear... just wondered why a chap who seems very knowledgeable put the lowering kit in the stanchions instead of the damper rod.. surely it can't lower it properly can it ?
john
Not having dealt with those or having the parts layed out to really see what the deal is for spring functions, all I can figure is if just dropping in in the top would work, the directions provided wouldn't have taken the long way to do it. As we both know there are short cuts that save time and work but don't think this is one of them to get the desired result. I'm sure many have done this mod and will chime in.
Ron

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks ron for the input.
I know it will keep it at 1 inch lower when the top out spring is on the rod.. and putting the springs in the stanchion won't so I understand. hopefully those that have done it might explain the pros and cons of doing it that way
john

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.