Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
VRSCAW 2010
:oops:Marathon Ultra on the sidewall. There seems to be sh....y roads out there - not only in my land of the pothole roads.
My next tire anyway, 260 wide rear and same series to front end.

Premium Member
Bikerboy - so in a pinch yea, I get it no M/C tires available like the guy touring in South America - but how the hell do you get that tire to turn with the square edge when you decide to ride regularly with that car tire ? Thanks ! :cool:

Premium Member
Was it debris in the tire or actual tire carcass failure ? Seems a post or two at the beginning of this thread are missing -

Registered
Bikerboy - so in a pinch yea, I get it no M/C tires available like the guy touring in South America - but how the hell do you get that tire to turn with the square edge when you decide to ride regularly with that car tire ? Thanks ! :cool:
Takes a little getting used to, but after 1,000 miles you don't even notice it. I'm over 5,000 miles on this tire now, and expect it to last 30,000 more. Better wet handling, better load rating, better heat rating, and longer lasting than any MC tire.

Premium Member
I imagine that a car tire is fine for laid back cruising, touring long distance, towing a trailer and a passenger etc. but where I think I'd get in trouble with it is cornering on the square edge of that tire leaned over and pouring the coals to her. Got into a tank slapper with a coldish Avon rear like that and almost low then high sided the bike but the tire hung in there while I gathered it all up and straightened it. :oops: That tire I believe would just have low sided due to less crown on the tire and less leaned over traction in a very narrow edge strip. I wouldn't do it unless there was no other option, but with the way things are going with hundreds of container ships waiting to be unloaded in LA, Savannah, etc. it may be sooner than later, as there is a shortage of M/C tires, even small jet tires for the planes I maintain and probably car tires next ! So Yea, what is it Bikerboy ? A Forgeum ? Might need to buy one for the near future when it all goes to crap ! (y):cool:

Registered
2008 VRSCD
I imagine that a car tire is fine for laid back cruising, touring long distance...

...I wouldn't do it unless there was no other option, but with the way things are going with hundreds of container ships waiting to be unloaded in LA, Savannah, etc. it may be sooner than later, as there is a shortage of M/C tires, even small jet tires for the planes I maintain and probably car tires next ! So Yea, what is it Bikerboy ? A Forgeum ? Might need to buy one for the near future when it all goes to crap ! (y):cool:
I'm with ya that these VRSC handle poor enough with recommended tires... I'm still getting used to sharp curves. I definitely wouldn't consider a wider rear tire or a car tire unless there was no other option.

I always kinda assume popular stuff (moto tire on a moto, recommended size, etc) is popular for good reason, and the fringe stuff (car tire on anything except some touring motos) is less popular for a reason too. I probably replace my car and bike tires way too early throughout my life and never push them anywhere near half to 2/3 of the mileage ratings, but that'll never really hurt ya.

I like seeing all the cool stuff people try with these bikes, though. Pros and cons to each side of the coin for sure.

Premium Member
I had gone to N.C. Mountains on my Triumph Triple and noticed the bike didn't want to turn to the right very well - left turns fine but it had a bit of a up & down vibration when leaned over to the right - I inspected the tire, it looked fine, figured I threw some balance weights and kept riding it - after return home I jacked the bike up and spun the rear tire close to a brick underneath it and discovered a 1/4 " rise & fall on the right shoulder. That was it beginning of a belt separation. Off the wheel looking inside it was obvious. Checked the NHTSA website and found an Avon recall and warning for a tire model similar to the separated one on my Triumph - resulting in injuries to riders. Called Avon and informed them this model tire was also separating - it was 10 years ago so I think they fixed the Mfg. defect as I've not had any more Avon tire problems. All I can say is I learned to really take M/C tires very seriously as they can truly result in injuries and death - my 1st wife & I almost got killed in a head on collision due to a tube type front tire blowout on a Gold Wing - with luck & skill we avoided the accident but it was really close - and she never rode again. Stay safe guys, M/C tires are cheap - loss of a life isn't ! (y):cool:

Registered
2008 VRSCD
Forceum 205/45-18. I ordered it from Walmart.
Did you have any problem finding an installer? Some of the sport bike guys who convert theirs to quasi-touring setups like you did said it's a headache to find a bike shop, tire shop, etc that will put it on a motorcycle rim ... many apparently cop out citing liability reasons, insurance won't cover it, etc.

I doubt it's a big deal for the Goldwing, etc true touring bikes that do car tire on motor rear fairly often, but for cruiser/sport bikes I guess it's no slam dunk?

Premium Member
Good point - you can always install it yourself with tire spoons and even balance it yourself if you really want to but yea, for the guy with none of that it would be a problem - need a friend in the tire industry -(y) :cool:

Registered
Did you have any problem finding an installer? Some of the sport bike guys who convert theirs to quasi-touring setups like you did said it's a headache to find a bike shop, tire shop, etc that will put it on a motorcycle rim ... many apparently cop out citing liability reasons, insurance won't cover it, etc.

I doubt it's a big deal for the Goldwing, etc true touring bikes that do car tire on motor rear fairly often, but for cruiser/sport bikes I guess it's no slam dunk?
I install myself with tire spoons and balancing beads.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts