Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to lower the vrscr? I was thinking maybe I could install the shorter rear springs from the vrsca, but I don't know what it would take to lower the front. Would it need raking out or what? How would I do it if its even possible.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Don't use the shocks off of an A you will hit your fuel cell. You would have to buy custom shocks. The shortest shocks you can go with are 14.25 in. which I believe lowers the back an inch or 2. If you search for works shocks I know that is what allot of people on this forum are using for the R.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
This subject is done about 100 times in ths section. Please do a search and you can see several long discussion of lowering the R.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good deal. Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to do it after I recover from the reprogramming and dynoing costs from the other day.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I'm confused...why would you buy and R if you want it to be lower???

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, It was my first m/c purchase and didn't really realize it was so much higher than the a/b. I got a fairly good price on it at the time (it was used with low mileage) so I bought it. I can reach the ground ok when I'm on normal surface, but throw an angle in or some gravel and it gets a little tricky for me to keep my balance. Had a few close calls and one drop b/c of the height when I got on a steeply unlevel surface.

·
Registered
230 Posts
-He might like mid controls but not a blacked out frame/engine (if he bought an '06).
-He might like having the inverted front end for moderately hard riding but not ride hard enough to need the full 40 degrees of lean
-He might have wanted to get a new VRSC for the price of what an A or D would have gone for used

·
Proud R Pilot
372 Posts
Why don't you just buy a new seat?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why don't you just buy a new seat?
Mostly because I prefer the look of the lowered rear tire. I'm also considering a new seat as well as soon as I find one [memory foam maybe :) ]. Anyways, I don't like the amount of air space b/w the rear wheel and fender. Don't want to be able to see light from one side to the other.

·
**RodhscR**
532 Posts
miwise said:
Mostly because I prefer the look of the lowered rear tire. I'm also considering a new seat as well as soon as I find one [memory foam maybe :) ]. Anyways, I don't like the amount of air space b/w the rear wheel and fender. Don't want to be able to see light from one side to the other.

- Yep it was the price.

That's okay. Now you have HD's best performing MC period, even after you lower it.:D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
True. In addition to the prior, I mainly want to be able to balance the thing on gravel and limestone. A little tricky trying to back it up on limestone (a lot of people use this for driveways and parking areas around here including me in my driveway). Anyways, thanks for the positive replies.

·
Registered
18 Posts
miwise said:
Well, It was my first m/c purchase and didn't really realize it was so much higher than the a/b. I got a fairly good price on it at the time (it was used with low mileage) so I bought it. I can reach the ground ok when I'm on normal surface, but throw an angle in or some gravel and it gets a little tricky for me to keep my balance. Had a few close calls and one drop b/c of the height when I got on a steeply unlevel surface.
:them:

I'm just 5'9 with 30" inseam. I dropped my bike the other day b/c I stopped on the edge of the road getting ready to pull out, and I couldn't reach :eek:

Luckily my wife jumped off, and I slowed my bike enough to not even get a scratch, but for us short folk, it's just too tall. And I've always ridden sport bikes and used to taller bikes, but the height and weight of the R is a little much in tricky situations for vertically challenged riders.

·
**RodhscR**
532 Posts
5'11" w/ short legs for my height and a newbie. I've dropped it once in a parking lot at 0 mph and have at least 2 other close calls. When I replace my rear shocks it will be for some that are an inch shorter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm 5'11 w/a 32" inseam, but I'm just not tall enough for certain situations that arise like uneven surfaces or whatever. Dropped it once b/c I couldn't reach the ground in the direction it was falling. Messed up my blinker and scratched the exhaust (this was after I had it repainted after forgetting the kickstand). Thankfully, didn't mess up too much.

·
**RodhscR**
532 Posts
Speaking of rear shocks has anyone ever looked into Sportster R shocks? That bike is almost as tall as ours. Of course I don't know anything about the mounts.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Guys I could be the poster child for vertically challenged many close calls but never dropped. Don't forget a decent set of boots! I bought a pair of adtecs steel tip it has a thick vibram sole for traction and a thick heel. Made a huge difference. $80.00 The seat has severe limitations and your ass will regret any attempt to lower it. I'm curios if anyone in the US has tried the Hagon shocks for the R?

·
Dreaming of Twisties
593 Posts
TheeRod said:
Speaking of rear shocks has anyone ever looked into Sportster R shocks? That bike is almost as tall as ours. Of course I don't know anything about the mounts.
I think the Sportster R shocks are about 14" - so I think you'd be putting a hole in your fuel cell in about 10 seconds. The other issue is that the Sportster's about 200 pounds lighter, so you'd be guaranteed to bottom out. I believe it was Hawkstang who was our guinea pig on this and he said that 14.5" shocks are as low as you can go without risking your cell.

Best combo I can think of: Custom Rick Mayer seat (ask for the "vertically challenged treatment") + Works custom shocks (-1" or -2") + drop your front end about 0.5" in the trees - you'd be flat-footing it in no time. Total combo should run about $750 or so (which is the price of the corbin seat!)

I'm 6' 4" - 35" inseam and I had a problem backing the bike up over uneven surfaces until Rick redid my seat - now it's not an issue at all. I'll probably keep my stock height shocks.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
6,904 Posts
miwise said:
Is there a way to lower the vrscr? I was thinking maybe I could install the shorter rear springs from the vrsca, but I don't know what it would take to lower the front. Would it need raking out or what? How would I do it if its even possible.
This question needs to be a sticky.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts