Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Peter Fitsinbeaver
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At first I lowered it with the lowering blocks, and was not satisfied. It seemed the bike rode better, but it was not low enough for me. So I bought some random shocks of ebay, and lowered it that way. The shocks are 13.5 eye to eye, and it seems that is the lowest you can go. I am 185, and it seems that they are perfect for me. A passenger might be a problem, but it seems the shock wont travel far enough to hit the tank. I have yet to test this theory, but I will keep you posted. The part # of the shocks is 54726-00, and I got them new off ebay for $24.50. Anyways put some before and after under my profile.

·
Premium Member
4,144 Posts
Be careful that you do not jam the swingarm cross brace into the gas tank.
Been there, done that!!!!! :D The dealership thought it would be okay rubbing.....

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
good info

Been there, done that!!!!! :D The dealership thought it would be okay rubbing.....
Wondered if anybody was gonna report that rub.

·
Premium Member
10,800 Posts
Looks great - won't last. Big pothole, and goodbye tank. 14.5 is about the shortest you can go safely. Just be careful, watch it close, and at the first sign of danger, buy taller shocks! Joe

·
Peter Fitsinbeaver
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Filled up the tank today, and still no problems. I have 1 3/4 of a inch from the tank to swingarm with a full tank. The shocks bottom out before the tank does, my buddy and I ops checked it last night. He jumped up and down on the pax seat, and it was close but no touchey. Thanks for the responses

·
Registered
84 Posts
Im on vacation and cant measure, but I'm sure mine sits considerably lower than that...Ive never had a problem, but Ive only had the bike for about 6 weeks so you never know. I found the same shocks you bought on ebay...are you sure they bottom out before the singarm hits the tank? I may have to invest in some...especially if my wife ever wants to get on!

·
Peter Fitsinbeaver
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had my neighbor(215lbs) jump up and down on the back seat and it looked like they bottom out prior to the tank hitting. Then again the tank never hit, so I am guessing the shocks bottomed out. It looks like the shocks have about 2.5in of travel from my guess. I could do the math and figure the angle and travel to see if it would hit but it was just easier to have my neighbor jump on it.......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts