Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, I was showing off my R and talking about the WP shocks I bought for it. So, I decided less talk and more action. I swapped out the shocks before we BBQ'ed the steaks and then lowered the front an inch after our fantastic meal.
Before everyone starts with the "thread is worthless :spank: " comments, I'll try to upload the before and after pictures. Cheers, D> A long time rider but a new forum poster...

Attachments

·
THAWING In Montana
344 Posts
looks nice, I've been wanting to lower mine...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Looks great. I am 6'1" and ended up lowering mine too. It feels so much better to me.

Kevin

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nicola said:
nice work!
What's the shock's lenghts and model?
Your first impression?
I don't know if they have a model number. I called Works Performance, gave my weight, riding style etc. They were good to talk with.

My test ride felt great. I couldn't go too long as it was getting dark and I had to clean up the mess. The ride height felt great. I didn't scrape at all. My "A" and my chopper scrape every time I go around one corner getting on the highway so that is a good test spot. The bike feels level to me. If I measure the lowest frame points, the back is approximately 1/2" lower than the front. The shocks feel less bouncy but not too stiff. I had the pre-load on the stockers set at 1 below maximum. I can't wait to do some long test rides and play with the new shocks adjustments.

I got the maximum lowered option (w/o killing the fuel cell) and the appearance caps. I believe they call it 14.25 but it looks like 14.5 to me. It was dark after my nice test ride so the shocks don't show well in the pictures. It was rainy here yesterday and not too promising today for sunny weather pictures.

If I hadn't done it on labor day, I would've gotten stainless bolts to use for the reinstall. I've had pretty good look polishing stainless vs chrome.
Cheers...D>

·
Registered
155 Posts
How did you lower the front end? Did you raise he fork tubes?

I was going to try that, but couldn't figure how to get the frok tube caps off without breaking them?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gregbenner said:

I was going to try that, but couldn't figure how to get the frok tube caps off without breaking them?
Yep, I slid the tubes up 1". Those covers are held in with a little spring clip that looks like a pretzel or curley "C" with a flat spot. Go in through the slot from the back and flex the spring clip at the center so the cap will fly off (the one clip goes completely across the middle to the other side). If you break yours, I'll send you mine, postage COD, cause I'm sure I'll never go back. Lowering the front was as easy to do as the brake pedal upgrade and free is a very good upgrade price! Time to go ride --- Cheers, D>

·
Registered
36 Posts
gregbenner said:

Go ahead and break them...they are cheap plastic.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Could you possibly post a pic of how the front forks look without the cover, and the tubes raised?

I would like mine to turn in quicker.

thx

greg

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gregbenner said:
Could you possibly post a pic of how the front forks look without the cover, and the tubes raised?

thx

greg
Here you go:

·
Registered
494 Posts
gregbenner said:

thx

greg
Be careful - another member posted previously that he experienced some high speed handling problems (wobble), due to reduced rake and trail, after lowering the front end [only]. He subsequently returned to stock set up.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I suspect an inch is quite radical. I did mine 15mm (just over half and inch for anyone still in the century before last) and got easier manouverability when paddling and a very smooth and natural turn in that is quite a bit lighter than stock. OK it still doesn't want to flick like a sportsbike (especially with the throttle open) but I'm not going any lower in case the wobbles set in. Very worthwhile mod with no downside. To get it to turn faster otch your heiney over to the inside of the turn a bit.....

Also finnster looking at your pics you've got quite a bit more of the left tube (in the pic) showing than your right tube. Unless that's camera angle your alignment is off which could give you handling issues and weird tyre wear. If anyone does this make sure you measure the amount of tube above the tree and that it's the same both sides. Crucial.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts