Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
nicola said:
how lowered front end?
for and against? any stability problems??
Lowered 1.185", yes, it barely will touch fender when bottoming out at speed. Handling is better. Have not lowered rear, but will be as soon. For: Looks, handling, comfort. Against: Will ruin the plastic cover-caps. I would do it again for sure!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Those are significant fork height changes, my suzuki's respond to 5mm shifts, but perhaps the Harley is less sensitive? I'm still looking over those plastic caps.

Steve

·
Chief
1,272 Posts
Lowered my front 1" with progressive"s lowering kit and lowered the rear 1" with progressive 440"s. Love the lowered stance and handling has not been a problem.

·
Registered
494 Posts
258C1 said:
Lowered my front 1" with progressive"s lowering kit and lowered the rear 1" with progressive 440"s. Love the lowered stance and handling has not been a problem.
:worthless

·
Registered
305 Posts
Lowered front 1.5" through the clamps no problem, but not for those with junk in the trunk.

·
Registered
155 Posts
If the front is lowered by way of different springs, can the fork caps be retained? I realize they are only vusual, but I think they add a completed look to the forks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Curious, while we're sort of on the subject, what's the best way to get the black cosmetic fork cap covers off? Been afraid to pry too hard and break them. Thanks,

·
**RodhscR**
532 Posts
I didn't get them off before hand. This is what I wish I had done.

- Loosen the pinch bolts all the way
- Pull the bike up, to let the tubes slide down a bit
- Take a small hook tool. ( put shrink wrap on the end so not to scratch stuff) and try to remove the tension wire which holds the caps in by reaching through the back of the triple tree.
-Your still probably going to break the caps, but their cheap.
- If this doesn't work just drill through the caps carefully, brake them apart and that way nothing aluminum gets scratched.

-I didn't remove the tension fit wire, jumped up and down on my bike, held the front brake and rocked, pushed the bike into a wall, eventually used the hook tool without said shrink wrap, scratched the tube cap nut, then broke the cosmetic caps, lost one of the tension fit wires (which HD does not list a part# for in the parts book)
-I am not happy with my performance but I do like the lowered front RRRRR

·
Registered
305 Posts
TheeRod, I would have paid good money to watch. I bet there was a big
DOH!! at the end ;) I followed the book to the letter and still scratched
the tube nuts:banghead:

·
Registered
494 Posts
SaintStephen said:
Those are significant fork height changes, my suzuki's respond to 5mm shifts, but perhaps the Harley is less sensitive? I'm still looking over those plastic caps.
Steve
nicola said:
anyone mounted hyperpro progressive fork spring?

I've installed the HyperPro springs - front AND rear - and an Arlen Ness slam kit (to lower the rear around an inch). I leveled the frame by lowering the front to match the rear height change . . . much improved ride quality. I've played around with fork height varriations of 5mm either direction (from frame level) and, YES, that small amount of movement will produce a significant and very noticable change in turn in response and low speed steering weight as well as inducing a tendancy to wobble at high speed (if the front is lowered more than the rear). Be careful - the Harley engineers and test riders have had a century of experience messing with steering and frame geometry and seem to have gotten the V's (specifically the VRSCR's) handing dialed in as best it can be while remaining safe and predictable . . . :D

·
Big
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've installed the HyperPro springs - front AND rear - and an Arlen Ness slam kit (to lower the rear around an inch). I leveled the frame by lowering the front to match the rear height change . . . much improved ride quality. I've played around with fork height varriations of 5mm either direction (from frame level) and, YES, that small amount of movement will produce a significant and very noticable change in turn in response and low speed steering weight as well as inducing a tendancy to wobble at high speed (if the front is lowered more than the rear). Be careful - the Harley engineers and test riders have had a century of experience messing with steering and frame geometry and seem to have gotten the V's (specifically the VRSCR's) handing dialed in as best it can be while remaining safe and predictable . . .
Fantastic!!
What's the lenght if new socks? Can you give me som pics about rear socks and the fork??

·
Registered
494 Posts
nicola said:
Fantastic!!
What's the lenght if new socks? Can you give me som pics about rear socks and the fork??
The shocks are stock length with the HyperPro springs for stock length - the Arlen Ness Salm Kit for VROD moves the lower shock mounting point back, which lowers the bike. Here are the pics you requested:

Attachments

·
Big
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The shocks are stock length with the HyperPro springs for stock length - the Arlen Ness Salm Kit for VROD moves the lower shock mounting point back, which lowers the bike
Thank's a lot! i thought you lowered springs.. nice work!!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Front Hyper Pro lowers fron .6 in without the removal of caps. I think that the rear needs to be raised .25-.5 of an inch rather than lowering rear to improve handling.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts