Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Dean
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone what size nut I need for the lower shock bolt? I am hoping that I can just pick it up at the hardware store.

I have an 08 AW.

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
11,364 Posts
My 2007 manual lists it as Part number 7433M (Metric) M12x1.75 flexlock.

·
Registered
57 Posts
From the parts catalog 3074M TBHCS, M12 X 1.75 X 70 LG.
the 7433M is the nut you need for the lower right side.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Of course it migh have helped if i read your post for the nit not the bolt. LOL

·
Dean
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both, I will try to pick one up in the AM at the hardware store. If they don't have it ....I will have to go to the dealer!

·
Premium Member
11,364 Posts
ACE hardware should have them.

·
Registered
216 Posts
ACE hardware should have them. It is actually referred to as a "Castle Nut". Harley calls it a "Flexnut"
I was thinking that the "flexnut" was a self locking nut. Whereas a "castle nut" is not locking and is designed to have a cotter key through it.

You definitly want a locking nut on the shock bolts.

·
Premium Member
11,364 Posts
What is on my bike is a "Castle nut" but Harley calls it a "Flex Nut". It looks like a castle nut but it requires torque to thread it on the bolt. It does not thread on via fingers. So I guess it is a flexing Castle nut.

·
Dean
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was able to get one at Home Depot (I believe it is a flex nut). I took the bolt with and I was only able to finger it tighten it a couple of times.

It does require some torque to completely tighten it. I also used some locktite....just to be sure.

I will check it every so often.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
You're old enough to know better.

:D
Yup ! Thats why I paid . Thats a shallow nut for one its size . And clearance is sparse . There is a large supply house round here but it was not worth the trip .
Oughta be interesting to see if some one comes up with one that fits the bill .
I so hate buggered up nuts :banghead:

·
Dean
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:D
Yup ! Thats why I paid . Thats a shallow nut for one its size . And clearance is sparse . There is a large supply house round here but it was not worth the trip .
Oughta be interesting to see if some one comes up with one that fits the bill .
I so hate buggered up nuts :banghead:
Hmmm...:hmm: the one I got at Home Depot, is a bit deeper than the stock one..but there is some clearance (very sparse as you mention above) so it is not hitting the pulley. I am starting to second guess my purchase.

It was less than $2. Hopefully it works

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
I just went out to the garage to look . Yup its close on both sides .
Duck tape may be your friend during the install ! Then if all goes well . Hope it dont rust ! :)

Did I tell ya I like stainless ?

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Last one I bought from a Stealer . Stole $12 from me for it
Any and all dealers sell fasteners for a high price.I called for some flywheel bolts on a Dodge the other day,$10 each,X 10.I went to the bolt store and got the exact replacements for 23 cents a piece!

The shock nut is a flex lock nut.
A castle nut requires the use of a cotter pin for safety.

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
Any and all dealers sell fasteners for a high price.I called for some flywheel bolts on a Dodge the other day,$10 each,X 10.I went to the bolt store and got the exact replacements for 23 cents a piece!

The shock nut is a flex lock nut.
A castle nut requires the use of a cotter pin for safety.
Yea but ! At least on the older bikes . Thers a narrow margin for error , I bet they made em that way to justify he price

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
you could always treat the nut to the grinder to shave off a few mm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts