Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Perfect. Thanks guys. Waiting for the frame coming in a couple of days. Now I have to see if the rear brake master cylinder still intact. It seems fine. I will wait to install it to see if works fine or to get a new one.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Just buy a new one. It’s not that expensive and worth the pain and time of welding and painting.
Wouldn't consider $300 " not that expensive" . You can do a lot of welding and painting for $300 and you end up with a stronger frame rail and for sure money in your pocket.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine left side peg socket completely snapped at the frame rail weld. Luckily I have highway bars and they held the peg slightly and I was able to get pulled over. Removed the broken pieces at a truck stop and had to cripple home in fourth gear. (Just the one I thought would be best for interstate and still be able to take off from a stop sign. Anyways, have the socket and can remover the frame rail. You guys think that welding that back on, where the socket shape hole is in the frame rail will be safe? PS best I can figure is it snapped due to a combination of tight engine guard putting pressure in the rear end direction, my heavy ass putting weight in the grind end direction and me dropping it on that side once in gravel.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Mine left side peg socket completely snapped at the frame rail weld. Luckily I have highway bars and they held the peg slightly and I was able to get pulled over. Removed the broken pieces at a truck stop and had to cripple home in fourth gear. (Just the one I thought would be best for interstate and still be able to take off from a stop sign. Anyways, have the socket and can remover the frame rail. You guys think that welding that back on, where the socket shape hole is in the frame rail will be safe? PS best I can figure is it snapped due to a combination of tight engine guard putting pressure in the rear end direction, my heavy ass putting weight in the grind end direction and me dropping it on that side once in gravel.
Just "dropping it on that side" sufficient. They are so weak. Don't worry about the safety of welding it, even a half decent weld will be stronger than when it was new! Probably 50% of the VRods out there have welded frame rails.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Awesome! Removed rail this morning, cleaned parts with wire wheel for welding, had local guy lay down a nice clean mig weld. Brought it home and painted, reinstalled rail, engine guard and controls. $50 cash and I’m on the road!!!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Awesome! Removed rail this morning, cleaned parts with wire wheel for welding, had local guy lay down a nice clean mig weld. Brought it home and painted, reinstalled rail, engine guard and controls. $50 cash and I’m on the road!!!
Beats $300 for a new one doesn't it!! And your repaired one is better. Glad you are sorted. (y)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts