Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess it was bound to happen eventually. I was going down a gravel road, taking a downward sloping, sharp right hand turn. It was dark and I bumped a large rock sticking up from the drive. front end skidded in the gravel, I had about stopped it but it fell anyway. If I had a brain I would have power walked it down the thing. Live and learn.

I scratched up the back of the stock pipes and tips. Ordered a used set off ebay, not a big deal. I can install that myself.

Other damage includes a bent in the frame where the right foot peg inserts. I bent it back with a pry bar, but plan to replace that section. I'll have to take it to the stealership for that one (I think). Also, I banged up the cap on the right side grip (Black Diamonds). No other visible damage.

I have a few questions: 1.) Is it possible to purchase and replace just the cap and not the whole grip? 2.) Are there diagnostic checks that can be performed to check for unseen damage? I've read some horror stories. Bike seemed to run fine, but now I'm concerned.

Worst part is I'm trying to coordinate the repairs from another continent, as I've been sent overseas. I HATE leaving the bike in that condition. The dealership hasn't responded to my email, which I sent out 4 days ago. Anyone have similar experiences and/or advice?

2007 DX :mad:

Thanks

·
Registered
600 Posts
I believe I have the end cap you need for your grips. PM me your address and I can send it to you. I have bar end mirrors so I had to modify my grips to make them work.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Sounds like common damage from a drop. Shop around for that lower frame rail and install it yourself. Everyone says it's super easy to swap out. Nothing else should be hurt.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd like to do it myself (the lower frame rail), if it's not too complicated. Anyone know if you have to support the engine while swapping it out? Like I said the bike isn't exactly in front of me at the moment, nor do I have the repair manual with me. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but mostly lack the time to do more complicated things myself.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
That frame rail is a weak point and often bends where yours has. Just order a replacement for it and install when you get home!
Dealer will sting you!

Come home soon!

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
The lower frame rails are not supporting the engine. You can put a jack under the rear part of the frame at the gas tank area and remove the frame rails for replacement. The right side one is easier than the left side one but they are both no brainers for replacing them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. Sorry, but it's going to prompt more stupid questions. Does the bike have to be supported on a bench or with some other method? Can you support the rear with a jack while on it's kick stand?

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
Bike does NOT need to be supported for the right side frame removal

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like I said, no manual and no bike in front of me. That said, what's the jack for? I could wait until I get sent home but A) I can't stand the wait and B) this helps pass the time.

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
If you are working on the left side frame you will need a jack since the jiffy stand is connected to it. If you are working on the right side frame, no need for the jack.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is sounding easier, so I'm leaning toward doing it myself. The dealership I emailed, then my wife called for me, has been, well, less than accommodating. I guess they don't need my $500 or so dollars. Must be nice.

Here are a few more questions: 1.) Does the radiator have to be removed to change out the lower frame rail? When I installed the aftermarket grips, I seem to remember the cap being attached and it did not appear like it could come off (I could be wrong about that, it was a year ago). 2.) Does the cap actually come off the Black Diamond grips so a new one can be put on?

Thanks!

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
No removal required of the radiator but there is a 13mm bolt at the bottom brace to the frame thats all.
Sorry but I dont know about the grips.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool. Wouldn't have expected it to be that easy. I'm looking for a used replacement as we speak. New one's a little pricey, or at least the one on Bikebandit was. Not sure what the dealership will charge. Anyway, thanks for the answers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts