Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Jan while the auction ended with a no sale since the reserve was not met it is true that the market for the v-rod is a little soft right now and to try to sell a used v-rod that is stock here means your going to take a hit. I for one have no intention of selling either of my v-rods so I don't see it as a problem at all.

Max

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Dealer told me that the prices for the 2002 model (mine) increased. They had a guy in the shop offering 3000 Euros on top of the original HD price if they would sell him that model.
Don't know how the rates are for second hand.
However - as you mentioned correctly there is absolutely no reason to sell.
But if the prices in the US are so low and considering the present Dollar / Euro exchange rate I am considering to buy another V-rod in the US.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
If you get ready to make a purchase don't bother with a used one. Post the question in the general area and let some of the members that are in areas that v-rod sales are very soft scout out a good deal on a new one for you.

Max

By the way does the Hamburg HD sell a T-Shirt?

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Max said:
By the way does the Hamburg HD sell a T-Shirt?
Their shop is full of clothes.
I will check and revert end of next week as I will be travelling.
Jan-Dirk

·
speeding safely
499 Posts
Regarding Reserves: Just because the bidder did not meet the seller's reserve, doesn't mean that a sale wasn't made. It's a fairly common practice to set the reserve price very high, that way the seller can choose to sell or not, depending on the 'quality' of the buyer, or can select any of the buyers... or none. It gives a little control back to the seller.

I scouted Ebay for a few weeks before I eventually bought my '03 for just over 14K off of ebay. It was stock with only 800 miles on her. (won in a contest). Mid 14's seem to be the going rate on gently used stock '03's. Our local stealer wanted over $17K for a used '02 with a dent in the fender, and MSRP +$1200 for '04's- but you'd have to wait a few months for yours to come in. So, with an over $4K difference, I just couldn't justify giving the stealer that much profit. Sorry guys, it's just business.

In the case of my ebay purchase, I bid quite a few hundred dollars over the current bid in the last 2 min, but still didn't meet the reserve. Then I was outbid in the last 4 sec by one of those on-line bidding services, no doubt. Nevertheless, the seller, through ebay, offered the bike to me, as I had been communicating with him via email regarding the bike and he felt I was an honest buyer. The other guy he didn't "know".

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I sold my BSA on EBay. The low bidder had to back out due to a family emergency (wife had twins 6 weeks premature). I sold it to one of the guys I had ben corresponding with during the bidding process, for a couple hundred below the final bid (but well above my reserve). It worked out very well, and I know the BSA went to a good home.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
MOREY000 the problem with setting a reserve high is that no one is obligated to make the purchase at the end of the auction. I have been with ebay since it first opened and consider any price under the reserve to be a no sale. You can specify in the sale that bidders with zero feedback or negative feedback will not be accepted.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I had a Spitfire Mk III. Bought new at the dealer in '68. (It was a '67). Sold it for $2K The engine was completely worn out - needs either 4th oversize bearings (not available) or the heliarc, machine cases routine - (more likely). The frame was chromed and the front end was Bettor. Plus 30 years of used parts. The guy is a BSA collector, and already had 2 Spitfires plus who knows what else. This picture was taken as I was taking it to the guy who came to pick it up.

Attachments

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
soft market for v-rods?

I saw another skunk-striped 03 on the dealer's floor this afternoon, with a sticker price of $1500 more than I paid for mine last April. So I guess there doesn't seem to be a "soft" market for them here.

While I was there, the local HOG chapter called in to find out what they'd paid for the v-rod they auctioned off last summer. They have to send the winner at 1099 so he can pay income tax on it! EEK!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts