Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an interesting occurrence the other day. I took an overnight trip, about 300 miles. The ride out was perfect, no issues, same with the ride back. Bike rode well. Coming in, my low fuel light came on and didn't think much of it (and yes, I have read the warnings/posts...), but rode on in and parked it, no issues.

A couple days later, I went to head to the gas station, and it fired up fine, but as soon as I started edging out on the clutch it starts sputtering and dying. Pull the throttle in, and it's fine. Deciding to push on, I tried again, and this time tried to give it more gas, and it bogged, then caught and lugged along. I limped to the gas station and filled up and limped back. I had hoped that it was just really (really) low, crap old gas, crud in the tank, something, anything. New fresh gas didn't help, still sputtering and lugging.

I plugged in the computer and pulled up the PCV software and the trim tables were all over the place. So I wiped the map, reverted back a version, and sent the map. Fired it up and rode fine ever since.

My guess is, it hit the bottom of the tank and started sipping air, in-turn throwing the AT for a loop, and screwing up the fuel tables. It has ran great since, and needless to say, I don't ever, ever let it get that low again. My only fear now is that it will happen on a road trip and I won't have the laptop with me to fix it!

Anyone have any similar experience with AT? Figured I'd share that one as a don't-be-stupid-like-me one...

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Interesting. Another Backup for your Trips is set up a Dual MAp if the one goes haywire then you could just switch over to the backup without using your computer.

I've thought about doing it on mine just as a backup even without Autotune hooked up as a troubleshooting tool.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I had an interesting occurrence the other day. I took an overnight trip, about 300 miles. The ride out was perfect, no issues, same with the ride back. Bike rode well. Coming in, my low fuel light came on and didn't think much of it (and yes, I have read the warnings/posts...), but rode on in and parked it, no issues.

A couple days later, I went to head to the gas station, and it fired up fine, but as soon as I started edging out on the clutch it starts sputtering and dying. Pull the throttle in, and it's fine. Deciding to push on, I tried again, and this time tried to give it more gas, and it bogged, then caught and lugged along. I limped to the gas station and filled up and limped back. I had hoped that it was just really (really) low, crap old gas, crud in the tank, something, anything. New fresh gas didn't help, still sputtering and lugging.

I plugged in the computer and pulled up the PCV software and the trim tables were all over the place. So I wiped the map, reverted back a version, and sent the map. Fired it up and rode fine ever since.

My guess is, it hit the bottom of the tank and started sipping air, in-turn throwing the AT for a loop, and screwing up the fuel tables. It has ran great since, and needless to say, I don't ever, ever let it get that low again. My only fear now is that it will happen on a road trip and I won't have the laptop with me to fix it!

Anyone have any similar experience with AT? Figured I'd share that one as a don't-be-stupid-like-me one...
This is part of what I mean when I tell you people that the ECM's the factory installs and the one's you are running from these halfassed companys,only give part of the available technology.

In the precise ecm on a late model automobile,when the low fuel light comes on,all systems monitored is shut down so this doesn't happen.Chrysler was doing this back in 1996 on the first OBD2 systems in the mini vans.I was invited to the school on this just before it hit the market.
Until someone takes late model technology and puts it into a controller for motorcycles,you will always have to carry a laptop,or go back to a factory ecm with a fixed mapp that doesn't look at much input.
Even a cheap low line Toyota Corolla has better ecm technology than is offered for motorcycles!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting. Another Backup for your Trips is set up a Dual MAp if the one goes haywire then you could just switch over to the backup without using your computer.

I've thought about doing it on mine just as a backup even without Autotune hooked up as a troubleshooting tool.
That's a great solution to the operator-error. I had thought of that a while back, but didn't press with adding the switch, but now I will.

Luckily there is the failsafe that DynoJet adds with the limits you can place on the AT to adjust so it does prevent anything too disasterous. I still had mine bumped up to allow +/- 25%.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is part of what I mean when I tell you people that the ECM's the factory installs and the one's you are running from these halfassed companys,only give part of the available technology.

In the precise ecm on a late model automobile,when the low fuel light comes on,all systems monitored is shut down so this doesn't happen.Chrysler was doing this back in 1996 on the first OBD2 systems in the mini vans.I was invited to the school on this just before it hit the market.
Until someone takes late model technology and puts it into a controller for motorcycles,you will always have to carry a laptop,or go back to a factory ecm with a fixed mapp that doesn't look at much input.
Even a cheap low line Toyota Corolla has better ecm technology than is offered for motorcycles!
I was blaming myself for being too lazy to stop and gas up, and instead I chose to drive on home. I wouldn't fault DynoJet or Harley for the ECM; no more than I'd fault Metz or Avon if I was too lazy to put air in the tire and drove it until it failed. Not necessarily a halfassed product, more than my laziness. The product didn't fail, it tried to adjust to the lack of fuel to the engine. It was a simple fix, assuming that my theory is correct. No issues since.

I just wanted to put it out there so that other riders could take note and be cautious (kind of like all the "don't trust your fuel gauge" warnings...). Or if they have a similar thing happen, they can hopefully troubleshoot and fix it and be back on the road.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I was blaming myself for being too lazy to stop and gas up, and instead I chose to drive on home. I wouldn't fault DynoJet or Harley for the ECM; no more than I'd fault Metz or Avon if I was too lazy to put air in the tire and drove it until it failed. Not necessarily a halfassed product, more than my laziness. The product didn't fail, it tried to adjust to the lack of fuel to the engine. It was a simple fix, assuming that my theory is correct. No issues since.

I just wanted to put it out there so that other riders could take note and be cautious (kind of like all the "don't trust your fuel gauge" warnings...). Or if they have a similar thing happen, they can hopefully troubleshoot and fix it and be back on the road.
CM

I had the exact same problem a while back. It ran fine when I refueled and put a couple of miles on. When I got home, I just reloaded the map as I had just saved that morning. When I checked the trims they were way, way high. I am wondering if we actually ran out and the PC V was trying to compensate for the problem.

How's Osan these days? I miss the ROK, the bad part of retiring and not being able to return every couple of years.....Happy House still around? I am sure you will still find pics of me on the walls.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts

Oh I understand well.I just can't understand why motorcycles were years ahead of automobiles with ignition systems back in the old days,and now they are 15 to 20 years behind the automobile industry in the air fuel management systems used.
I wish I was smarter than I am,so I could take a chosen automobile ecm and adapt it to one of my late Harleys.It would be nice to have upstream and down stream 02's and an ecm that had instant adaptive capability's.Back in the early 80's GM was using systems like the aftermarket ecm's you guys are trying on your V-Rods.Just changing a battery required almost an hour of a sequence to relearn idle adaptives! Remember Chrysler called theirs a logic module? Wasn't much logic in them at all back then.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Oh I understand well.I just can't understand why motorcycles were years ahead of automobiles with ignition systems back in the old days,and now they are 15 to 20 years behind the automobile industry in the air fuel management systems used.
I wish I was smarter than I am,so I could take a chosen automobile ecm and adapt it to one of my late Harleys.It would be nice to have upstream and down stream 02's and an ecm that had instant adaptive capability's.Back in the early 80's GM was using systems like the aftermarket ecm's you guys are trying on your V-Rods.Just changing a battery required almost an hour of a sequence to relearn idle adaptives! Remember Chrysler called theirs a logic module? Wasn't much logic in them at all back then.
Motorcycles are falling behind snowmobiles!!!!!!! When a 2 stroke (ETEC) can run cleaner then a 4 stroke it really makes you go HHHHHMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!

The worst thing is US car manufacturers making direct injection sound like it is some new jeewhiz technology. My sleds have had it for years and my Mazada Speed 3 I bought a couple of years ago has it, 275hp from a turboed 2.3l 4 cylinder, diesels have been direct injection for almost 20 years.

HD I hope you see this post. Take a good look at the new technologies being used in cars OVERSEAS, we are way to far behind here in the US. Time to go back and see Porsche again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Usually Clueless
373 Posts
Any problems with maps getting corrupted suddenly?

Didn't run low on gas, full tank, freeway speeds.... The LCD starts seesawing between the two cylinders--- lean in front, rich in back, rich in front, lean in back. I'm talking 12 being rich and 18 being lean. Probably happen 40 times before hitting an offramp.

Pulled over after about 3 miles of this and reloaded the suggested Dynojet map I had stored on the LCD. Fired it back up and was on my way without trouble.

In retrospect, I should have just shut the bike down and restarted it to see if it was a computer error. It was about 13 miles into a 70 miles trip, so it wasn't right out of the gate.

I am hesitant about reinstalling the map that gave me trouble. Even though it was a map I had been running for a long time and I had the autotune set so the trim was at +/-5.

Only did this at 20% throttle, because it was settling down when I was getting off the freeway.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
the ThunderMax with autotune shuts down during low fuel situations and restarts after running out of gas with ZERO issue. Now you must remember that these bikes don't exactly have the most accurate fuel monitoring systems.

a forum member here has already done the leg work and is still working on putting the hardware together to allow us to take full advantage of the Delphi ECM instead of being forced to live with the HD dumbing down of the Delphi tech. Wish I could remember the forum member or the frick'n website.

edit: found the website here

1 - 10 of 10 Posts