Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has gone stock motor, low compression pistons and a turbo or a blower? Would like to hear how they fare?

·
TURBONATOR
1,366 Posts
This year 9.5 comp. CP pistons were installed along with H-Beam rods, and head work (stock cams) so I cant say I'm completely stock with the heads.

I am not dissapointed how it runs, it still has good take off at stop sign w/30T and you get to run alot more boost this way with this set-up. But I wouldnt want to go any lower than 9.5 This on a 1250cc BTW

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This year 9.5 comp. CP pistons were installed along with H-Beam rods, and head work (stock cams) so I cant say I'm completely stock with the heads.

I am not dissapointed how it runs, it still has good take off at stop sign w/30T and you get to run alot more boost this way with this set-up. But I wouldnt want to go any lower than 9.5 This on a 1250cc BTW
Thanks Lane... I am considering going this route this go round. How much boost you running?

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
hold the phone.... didn't we hear 'bad' results from a forum member who built a specific motor for a turbo set-up that included lower compression? was it the RNT Racing guys? I sorta remember flipflop or someone explaining how surprised (and sorta pissed) that what they thought were gonna be gains turned into losses in HP and Tq???

someone who's memory is better was there with us, this was at the seminar RJ held in Ohio a summer ago???

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
hold the phone.... didn't we hear 'bad' results from a forum member who built a specific motor for a turbo set-up that included lower compression? was it the RNT Racing guys? I sorta remember flipflop or someone explaining how surprised (and sorta pissed) that what they thought were gonna be gains turned into losses in HP and Tq???

someone who's memory is better was there with us, this was at the seminar RJ held in Ohio a summer ago???
Yes you are correct. never made it off the dyno and burned the hell out of it.

Tuning was just getting started.

bottom line with the money he spent and what happened not worth it if you are going to run the hell out of it in 5th gear for long periods of time.

now running a stock 1130 at 171 HP.

·
TURBONATOR
1,366 Posts
Thanks Lane... I am considering going this route this go round. How much boost you running?
I have ran up to 12lbs so far (track) For street around 8-9lbs if not real hot summer day if it is then 6-7lbs
Talk to Trask before you do anything, I believe they have 10.5 comp pistons that they have to special order for the 1250 cause CP only goes up to 9.5 comp to buy from them direct.

Something must of went teribly wrong with that lower comp motor.
Its possible they went to low comp like 8.5 or lower and it didn't pan out (just guessing). Like i said earlier post, I wouldn't want to be any lower than 9.5

As far as my 9.5 comp motor 12lbs boost, 3 other guys on here saw this thing go down the 1/8 mi. track(thumbsupracing,BlumJ,and Jeck) if you dont think a low comp motor will run ask those guys. I was running a 30T also.

·
TURBONATOR
1,366 Posts
Yes you are correct. never made it off the dyno and burned the hell out of it.

Tuning was just getting started.

bottom line with the money he spent and what happened not worth it if you are going to run the hell out of it in 5th gear for long periods of time.

now running a stock 1130 at 171 HP.
Rod
Do you have the full scoop for the motor build etc?
PM me or call if you prefer. Would like to know more of what exactly happened.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
I'll call you Lane.

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
in this thread I mention that motor, it was built with Low compression and boosted 20lbs but didn't post any better numbers on the dyno as they upped the boost, they were both puzzled and pissed...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts