Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
speeding safely
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's some terrific paint jobs out there, and the pics of the Ozzyskins are truly incredible. But, I just have to reiterate how much I love the anodized skins.

I commute on my vrod daily. This morning she had a fine layer of dust on her, as well as lotsa' little resin droppings from a tree I park under. So, I just took a half-wet towel and wiped off the skins. With the wax coat I've put on her, it cleaned up perfectly in 30 sec. I'd never do that with a painted surface.

So, ya'll enjoy your colorful customization. I'll still love the practicality and style of the ano'. The MoCo' came up with a brilliant design idea.
:ride:

·
Registered
349 Posts
I hear ya Morey... I just wanted to be different. Everyone that has an '03 Anodized looked just like mine... I just wanted to look different. Don't get me wrong, I love the anodized look as well... was just tired of looking like everyone else that has an '02, '03, or '04 VRSCA with Anodized...

Ride on Brother!! :thumb:

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
I have One of each and I like it!"Custom Painted 02 NOS Bike,and Anodized 02 Turbo Bike" I must say I LOVE THEM BOTH! ;) :kaz:

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
jlowry6 said:
... was just tired of looking like everyone else that has an '02, '03, or '04 VRSCA with Anodized
In '04 Harley dropped the Anodized finish - it was only available on the '02 and '03 models - and most of the '03s are either two-tone (skunk bikes) or have that huge "100th Anniversary" tank badge.

IMHO Harley really did themselves a disservice by dropping the anodized finish - you lose a lot of the advantages of aluminum if you just slap some paint on it. The original (and now unobtainable as new) silver V-Rod was and is one of the all-time classics.

Sadly enough, judging by the number of V-Rod's I hear and read about getting totalled, it won't be too long before our silver bikes are rare indeed.

·
Making the UK Fatter
2,606 Posts
vroddrew said:
In '04 Harley dropped the Anodized finish - it was only available on the '02 and '03 models - and most of the '03s are either two-tone (skunk bikes) or have that huge "100th Anniversary" tank badge.

IMHO Harley really did themselves a disservice by dropping the anodized finish - you lose a lot of the advantages of aluminum if you just slap some paint on it. The original (and now unobtainable as new) silver V-Rod was and is one of the all-time classics.

Sadly enough, judging by the number of V-Rod's I hear and read about getting totalled, it won't be too long before our silver bikes are rare indeed.
I thought they do an 04 B model in the anodised?

·
COOLER RIDER
5,180 Posts
They do.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/PR/MOT/2004/04_template.asp?bmLocale=en_US&WebLogicSession=AiwFLqfDLsyYa9Gge4GP6FNdzIeALUOH6e0oYhizBnqweQ9EHmvm!-773142428!181237810!7005!8005&market=US&family=VRSC&model=VRSCB&modelSection=intro

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
I stand corrected - I'd forgotten about the ano. on the "B" models. I haven't actually seen one - does the finish look similar to what we have on our VRSCA bikes?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
The problem with the Ano '04 is that it is only available with a black frame and I think that kills the all "silver" look that I fell in love with the first time I saw a V Rod. I went out to buy a new '04 and ended up with a low milage used '02 because I wanted Ano on silver without the big logo plate. Jeff

·
Making the UK Fatter
2,606 Posts
badrod said:
The problem with the Ano '04 is that it is only available with a black frame and I think that kills the all "silver" look that I fell in love with the first time I saw a V Rod. I went out to buy a new '04 and ended up with a low milage used '02 because I wanted Ano on silver without the big logo plate. Jeff
Don't know why the done it, the Ano on the new silver 04 frame would look great.
My dealer in the UK reckons they have sold more 04 Anodised B models than any other.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Morey - I agree about the anodized finish. I put a tank bag on for the Daytona run (From New Orleans and back). Not a scratch. Couldn't do that with ANY other finish. I have added some chrome flames (Tapeworks.com) that accent it nicely. We'll see how they hold up. I can always take them off (these won't blow off like my previous attempt). So far, I have very positive feedback on the look.

·
speeding safely
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Daniii said:
... I have added some chrome flames (Tapeworks.com) that accent it nicely...
Pictures always appreciated!
The Tapeworks stuff looks very sharp.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I used kit 5537, Cruiser Flames II, in Flexi Chrome, (http://tapeworks.com/Pages/5537.html) and modified them a bit. Only used 1/2 the supplied flames. Follow the instructions CAREFULLY. They look great, go on as advertised, but if you stretch the chrome at all, it shows up!. Pics are in the gallery!

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
Had I never gotten in an accident I may still have the stock skinz -- they are great looking.

I still have them but the airbox cover has a healthy dent where the turnsignal impacted. I haven't tried to get it repaired but I have seen some posts indicating it may be a non-starter...... is that true?

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
I love the annodised, but when I saw the two tone black and silver, I changed my order and had to wait an extra month, just loved the look. It seems to make the profile of the bike even sleeker with the way they cut the paint in. And I LOVE the 100th plate on the airbox, nice and substantial.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Michael333 said:
the airbox cover has a healthy dent where the turnsignal impacted. I haven't tried to get it repaired but I have seen some posts indicating it may be a non-starter...... is that true?
M,

I've spent some time with a "dent popper" trying to fix mine and have reduced the size by about 1/2. Don't think it can be "fixed" any further w/o removing the skin from the inner.

I've already gotten a new airbox cover and will try to sell the dented one to a custom painter for whatever it's worth.

I hear that the 100th Anniversary badges are selling for BIG $$$ on Ebay ???

EE

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
Thank you EE. Yes I know they're bringing in $150+.
I wouldn't mind getting a tame paint job, but I just don't know if anyone will take it on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts