Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 301 Posts

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's an interesting take on the whole "Loud Pipes Save Lives" theory. I scanned this out of this months Hog Tales.

Attachments

·
Registered
922 Posts
:thumb: Thats a good article Mike, especially the part that reinforces the dangers of intersections.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Good Luck trying to convince the "Great Unwashed & Vest wearers" on this one. Makes perfect sense to me, Exhaust comes out the back, you aint hearing me when I am behind you. The best thing Loud does Here in CA is when Splitting lanes (Something none of you can do apparently) in slow or stopped traffic people will here you hit the Throttle and 90% of the time will move over a bit to let you through. Not like the stories I hear from other states of "You do that here someone will shoot you" To that I ask "How do you live in a communty filled with such narrow minded idiots?

·
Registered
140 Posts
sorry, but I cannot agree with this... sounds like some tree-hugger argument against loud pipes... next thing they will say is contrasting colors dont help cause cagers are color blind....

ANY THING that lets cagers know you are around is a good thing... end of story.

·
Registered
332 Posts
JD_V-Rod said:
sorry, but I cannot agree with this... sounds like some tree-hugger argument against loud pipes... next thing they will say is contrasting colors dont help cause cagers are color blind....

ANY THING that lets cagers know you are around is a good thing... end of story.
:them: :them: :them: Read the article too. Totally biased.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I beleive the article has some merit, I have seen cagers looking around trying to figure out where the sound is coming from, instead of watching the road. But what is cool is check out the bike shown with their traction article!

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
06 orange R said:
I beleive the article has some merit, I have seen cagers looking around trying to figure out where the sound is coming from, instead of watching the road. But what is cool is check out the bike shown with their traction article!

I figured you R guys would like that. :)

·
Scott
492 Posts
My Loud F*C**N* ASS Pipes have saved my life 3 times so far this year. Two times coming along side a car switching lanes and one time a car entering a highway and not seeing me but definately hearing me.

The intersections are the most dangerous and that's also why I modded my headlight to shine both bulbs at the same time:

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68876&page=2

I advise everyone to do this mod!!

·
06 SE V-Rod
189 Posts
I have to agree with the writer, and the points he makes are the points I try to remember when I ride. Personally, I don't like the loud pipes, they are just flat obnoxious to me. It is one reason I don't do group riding, because the constant blatt and drone of unmuffled pipes if I am behind one is annoying.

I'm sure this is one of those subjects you'll never get all sides to agree on, but for my part the only thing loud pipes accomplish is noise pollution.

·
Scott
492 Posts
snakecharmer said:
I have to agree with the writer, and the points he makes are the points I try to remember when I ride. Personally, I don't like the loud pipes, they are just flat obnoxious to me. It is one reason I don't do group riding, because the constant blatt and drone of unmuffled pipes if I am behind one is annoying.

I'm sure this is one of those subjects you'll never get all sides to agree on, but for my part the only thing loud pipes accomplish is noise pollution.
:dance: :lick:

·
Pineland Underground
14,737 Posts
Having almost been abrupting cut off by the vehicle ahead of me, despite my continuous efforts to maintain visibility, I am more willing to believe a louder set of pipes would create a significant greater attention-getter than anything else. No matter what any one else may think, this article gives good cause to consider other methods of ensuring you as the rider are noticed by the average cager.

·
Registered
239 Posts
My very quiet R got backed into in a parking lot and was in the hospital for a few weeks. I got a loaner R with Force pipes on it. LOUD. I perceived a difference in driver awareness. I was told by friends that were ahead of me or waiting for me somewhere ahead of me that the bike was freakin loud.

I do believe it makes a difference in driver awareness. I also agree that the drivers do not perceive a motorcycle as a threat and those who just don't give a (*#& will do whatever anyway.

Loud pipes do indeed piss people off. I ride on the tollway in the Chicago area and it seems as though the number of crashes that may have been averted through driver awareness are canceled out by the people who get nearly uncontrollably pissed off. Some get very aggressive and try to threaten me with their vehicles. Odd that.

Loud pipes may save lives and may cost lives.
:cheers:

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You will find arguments for boths sides on this. One thing to consider though is what is the definition of loud? Everyone has a different opinion of how loud is to loud. I have a CFR and have heard many people say it's to loud, but I don't think that. Now I have heard Sampsons and they are loud. I do agree that obnoxiously loud pipes just tend to piss people off and make things worse for riders in general, but I like a rather loud pipe myself. It also depends on how you ride. Some people that have really loud pipes are very inconsiderate of those around them. It's not necessary to always rev the bike up just to make noise, but you see this all the time. That's what gives law makers the ammunition they need to pass these noise ordinances that will eventually make everyone suffer. JMHO

·
Registered
159 Posts
What ever additonal sensory stimulus you can provide is bound to help others be aware of you. Its a tool, how you behave will definetly influence the varied reactions you get. How about those flickering driving lights great at intersections kind of renders cagers like deer. But if you have ever had one of those dipsh-ts behind you for more then 5 minutes you would get a real sense of what road rage feels like. I think the take home of the article, if you think sound alone will save you or makes a huge difference universally then your placing your life in jeopardy. Ask any ambulance driver!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just moved back into a metropolitan area 3 weeks ago and loud pipes have already paid off. My TH has saved my arse 3 times in as many weeks. People just look through bikes and the sound with out a doubt does help. The funny thing is all of the neighbors love the sound of my bike. Even when I leave for the gym at 5:30am and these folks are 65 and older. But even with all that said I still ride like everyone on the road is out to run over me.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I don't know??? I am starting to think that loud pipes are just loud and annoying. I really don't even like riding near an air-cooled Harley w/ straight pipes.

Bottom line is things are starting to change!! Places like Denver, CO are starting to crack down on loud exhausts. I noticed plenty of cruisers w/ loud exhausts receiving tickets at this year's Bike Week in Daytona.

If so many of these people who have LOUD exhausts are so worried about saving their ass then why do I see so many not wearing a helmet, jacket, gloves, boots etc...???

·
Kaboom
4,336 Posts
JDR_ROD said:
If so many of these people who have LOUD exhausts are so worried about saving their ass then why do I see so many not wearing a helmet, jacket, gloves, boots etc...???
Yep.......the irony of this has always amazed me.

1 - 20 of 301 Posts