Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Wonder if counter balance was in time. Or if CB bearings are bad. Or something did back out. Thats about the only way something like that can happen. The head looks like the intake valves took a hit.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
They may look that way since I was wiping them with my fingure. There is no damage to them or the pistons.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
If you look early in the thread there is a picture of the nut By itself. That’s what appears to have happened. In front of the transmission it looks like there is a part sheered off. Neither of the pistons are heads appear damaged. Also the timing chain and cam sprockets are intact with no damage. I think either the nut on the rod was not properly tightened or it failed. Also all transmission gears are perfect.

·
Registered
742 Posts
If you look early in the thread there is a picture of the nut By itself. That’s what appears to have happened. In front of the transmission it looks like there is a part sheered off. Neither of the pistons are heads appear damaged. Also the timing chain and cam sprockets are intact with no damage. I think either the nut on the rod was not properly tightened or it failed. Also all transmission gears are perfect.
Yep I concur (y)

·
Registered
466 Posts
The rod is spread and I can see the leading edge of the counterbalance made contact. I still think the issue was with the counterbalance going out of time. The rod, even with a loose nut would not make contact with the balancer if in time.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Not sure what you are seeing. The rod is not spread, both are identical. Also the lower part of both connecting rods are pristine. Not eve a scratch. But the counter balance is damaged. It's puzzling!

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
As I mentioned before both rod bolts are worn on one side of the hex. No evidence of rotation or all sides of the rod bolts would be worn / damaged and the trenches in the counter-balancer would not be so equally and clearly machined. As JJrod said and as I said prior I believe the counter-balancer was from the factory or had recently become out of time with the crankshaft. Appears the con rod bolt is bent from rotational impact and sudden stoppage after the head hex sheared off the first rod bolt and the rod cap backed off. The most important photo's we need MotorMike are of the part you said is sheared off fwd of the transmission, the drive gear & bolt for the C/B'er and drive splines, the back side of the clutch and to a lesser degree the crankshaft drive gear and bolts. Is that a crack or casting vein above the C/B'er in the photo ? Also when you check the C/B'er in the case are the bearings still captured by the circlips ? does it feel snug on the bearings and does it still spin ? We are very close to solving this late, great mystery of the Revo counter-balancer and connecting rod bolts crash ( as they were trying to occupy the same place at the same time and only the timing of the gears keeps them from hitting each other ) Thanks ! (y) ;)

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Managed to find this pic of the same engine. Note the bent CB. Wonder if this was from impact on the rod or the rev limit is way past spec and the cb bent, forcing it into the rod bolt. The rpm limits on many cb engines are limited to the forces placed on the CB.
Ron

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
Good point Ron an over-rev would promote C/B'er bending & eventual possible contact but the almost perfectly equal 2 trench wear pattern on the C/B'er is evidence IMHO of it being out of time with the crank and running that way for some period of time. I'm pretty sure there's just above .250 of clearance to the crank stock because I believe a ,250 stroker crank will clear the C/B'er but a .375 & up stroker crank will not and requires C/B'er clearance machining or removal ( and other case machining ). I see no way these two items hit each other with the gears in the proper timed position. Somehow they got out of time - we need the additional photo's MotorMike to make short work of this mystery. Oh wait - let me guess - H-D never returned the C/B'er drive gear or it's retention bolt to you ? :rolleyes: :cautious: If you have the gear & bolt Mike the crank can be re-installed in the case, and re-timed with a pin or drill bit in the C/B'er - takes about 5 minutes to prove how many teeth the timing was off for contact. I'd bet an end of the production line screw up but that needs to be proved. We need more photos.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
I've never over revd the bike but it did have 200 miles on it when I got it.

They supposably returned everything but the top half of the case. However, I do have pictures of it too. I have three boxes full of parts they returned to me. Give me some time to go through them. A lot of other shit going on in my life right now

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
Hey Awesome MotorMike no worries,do it when ya can - we'll surely figure it out ! Stay safe and in the meantime don't ride any M/C's infected with CV19 - (y) :giggle:

101 - 114 of 114 Posts