Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out riding, did about 100 miles, stopped for gas then proceeded home. Turned into my stare and heard a loud clunk and the bike died. It will not start, matter of fact it will not even turn over. The bike is a 2017 muscle. Not one problem before this. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Lots of thought but your description is kinda vague. Start with the easy shit, battery, grounds, electrical contacts, drain the oil look for metal.

From there pull the alternator cover off check the triple sprocket bolt, pull the spark plugs grab a big ass socket (38mm if memory serves) and see if the motor will turn over by hand.

You might have a very long road ahead of you dependant on how mechanical you are.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven’t done anything yet but I’ll check those items over. Wierd shit. Pretty mechanical, just don’t want to mess with this right mow.

·
Registered
436 Posts
When you say it won't turn over, do you hear the starter engage but not turn motor over? Or completely dead, as in no power to starter? Might make a difference as to where to start looking. But as mentioned, need to verify if motor can turn freely first. It's the loud "clunk" that has me a bit concerned. could be simple though...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, here is where I am. Pulled the alternator cover and was able to turn over the engine. Did not take the spark plugs out soI could get it to turn over until I hit the compression stroke. Then I turned on the ignition and hit the starter. It turned over very briefly then another loud clunk (that's a technical clunk ?) and then the starter would only klick. Going back out to the garage to pull the plugs and change the oil to see if there is anything in it.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Ok, here is where I am. Pulled the alternator cover and was able to turn over the engine. Did not take the spark plugs out soI could get it to turn over until I hit the compression stroke. Then I turned on the ignition and hit the starter. It turned over very briefly then another loud clunk (that's a technical clunk ?) and then the starter would only klick. Going back out to the garage to pull the plugs and change the oil to see if there is anything in it.
Can you get full revolution of turn on the crank by hand? As you have the alternator cover off do the 2 timing chains appear ok. Sort of sounds like a piston hitting a valve,

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With the plugs still in I cannot get a full rotation by hand. But I only have an 3/8" drive so not much leverage. I only have the small inspection plate off so cannot see the timing chains.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I would take plugs out and see how it rotates. If it still has that hard stop then things will need further inspection. Lets hope for the best.

·
Registered
265 Posts
yea ill echo what others are saying, Plug NEED to come out not only are you building pressure making it harder to turn but youll need that spark plug hole for more diagnostics.

You can do some creative engineering with a long wooden dowel through the spark plug hole to feel when the piston reaches TDC. If somethings hitting, you can at least be cognizant that that piston is starting to reach the top of its stoke.

this is my opinion but i wouldn't stop as 2 complete revolutions, I'd get a dozen in make absolutely sure nothing is intermittently hitting, making sure its free rotating, and everything feels ok.
Make sure your rotating the motor in the correct direction though so you don't unthread anything.

if you have already well how much of a gambler are you?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finally got back to this. It will not keep rotating. Now that I have enough leverage I found that it stops rotating and will not move any further.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I finally got back to this. It will not keep rotating. Now that I have enough leverage I found that it stops rotating and will not move any further.
Can you see if it is locking as the pistons come to the top? If so I would take the full alternator cover off to check the timing chains in case you have had a chain break, and if all looks ok then looks like you will need to get cam covers off to see what is going on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Lots of thought but your description is kinda vague. Start with the easy shit, battery, grounds, electrical contacts, drain the oil look for metal.

From there pull the alternator cover off check the triple sprocket bolt, pull the spark plugs grab a big ass socket (38mm if memory serves) and see if the motor will turn over by hand.

You might have a very long road ahead of you dependant on how mechanical you are.
36mm

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Decided to let the dealer deal with it. Too much other stuff going on with my life that demands my attention. I'll let everyone know what they find. Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was out riding, did about 100 miles, stopped for gas then proceeded home. Turned into my stare and heard a loud clunk and the bike died. It will not start, matter of fact it will not even turn over. The bike is a 2017 muscle. Not one problem before this. Any thoughts?

1 - 20 of 93 Posts