Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prelude: I am not exactly a ninja with a wrench so pardon if I sound like a dumb blonde, my mechanical skills are limited by mountain bikes.

I few months back I "lost" the rear brake on my DX, the control arm simply "sinks" to the bottom. Not the best experience to have when merging into traffic. I took it to a local dealer and apparently some part failed and I lost all the brake fluid. It was repaired or so I thought.

Less than 500 miles later, this weekend, the very same thing happened again. Prior to it happening I smelled some burning fluid but thought it was the car ahead of me burning oil. Then at the next light I had no brake. I inspected the bike as much as I could and did not see the leak or even spots of any kind of fluid. Surprisingly, on my ride home the brake "came back" but I obviously don't trust it.

Has this happened to anyone? What it most likely part to fail? Where should I be looking for it?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
few options come to mind
1) rear brake switch has failed (common)
2) heat has melted through your rear brake line (kinda common w/certain aftermarket exhausts)
3) your DOT 4 fluid has become supersaturated with water/moisture and has led to this brake failure (common)

solutions
1) replace rear brake switch & drain, flush, and refill brake fluid with DOT 4
2) replace rear brake line adding some type of heatshield, drain, flush, and refill your DOT 4 fluid
3) Drain, flush, refill your DOT 4 fluids. Front brake, rear brake, & clutch

·
enigmas
340 Posts
Eyeball the rear brake line yourself. You might have a pinhole leak at some point. Ensure that it is not coming into contact or near any part of the exhaust system. Heat & rubber don't mix. If fluid is escaping somewhere between the mastercyl and the rear caliper there will be evidence of this you only need to look carefully. There is nothing mysterious with the Vrod brake system. If the goofballs you're taking it too can't figure it out, take it to any reputable brake shop (automotive) and have them remake the rear brake line so that it is moved away from any exhaust components.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts