Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a proud owner of a 2003 anniversary edition V-ROD. I am also disabled veteran due to the injuries i sustained in combat.
Yesterday I was out riding the plains of north eastern Colorado after finely completing the necessary modifications in order for me to safely ride the V-ROD consisting of a Pingel electronic shifter (compensates for my missing left leg) a ThunderMax programable race tuner(to help fulfill my need for speed and adventure) topped off with a sweet set of Z drag bars after getting rid of the cheesy mini ape one piece bar and riser setup. (no disrespect intended) I replaced it with the handlebar clamp and gage setup then lowered it two inches. (to show off my sense of style).
I stopped for fuel for the third time that day (I’m getting right at 100 miles per tank is that normal?) Anyway my custom H-D $90 skull key a gift from a brother was missing. I was smart enough to figure out the seat latch and get to the fuel tank and access the fuse boxes to kill the power until I was ready to ride again. I spent the next hour retracing my steps hoping to find the key. By the grace of God I found the key laying on the road on the outskirts of the town right before heading back to Denver. Either I had ran it over when it came out or some else did after the fact. Either way it is no longer round or usable. I have no other key for my baby. They were stolen when my garage was broken in to last year.
Needless to say I’m devastated. I can’t find a lock smith to make a key for under $200. The Harley dealers are saying a two week wait. I would be more then happy to replace the ignition /lock due to the fact there’s someone out there with keys to my pride and joy probably waiting for the opportunity to tie off with it. Let alone the $200 key cost or two week wait to ride.
But as luck would have it I can’t locate a Ignition/lock and key for much less then my prosthetic leg cost. If anyone has any suggestions I’m all ear. I currently don’t have much cash available to get a key made by either H-D or a locksmith or buy the ignition/lock set but I do have a H-D the bracket setup for a quick release windshield I would trade.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you JJrod. Defiantly something for the future.
Right now I’m more interested in an Ignition/lock and key set used

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update:
I when by my local H-D (Sun) dealership yesterday to order a replacement set of keys and at the same time complained about the poor quality of craftsmanship associated with skull ? key. Although the tec agreed with my complaint the manager refused to take any action on replacing the key. Not even a discount on the price of the replacement set. I was still charged $28.83 for the new set and have a 10 to 14 day wait to receive them.
I am still in the market for ignition/lock Key set

·
Registered
60 Posts
Switch

I have the original one that was on my 03, you can have it. Message your address to me and I will send it to you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
First and foremost ... thank you for your service.

I have an 02 and regardless of what the gas gauge shows, I get gas every 90 miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you winter for saving my day by sending me the ignition lock and key set. Your truly a Blessing. I have been in the wind every since. Thank you Thank you thank you.
I have had the joy of hearing from other VRod owners about fuel mileage. So 100 miles per tank is about right. As I stated in my post I’ve installed a Thunder Max programable smart tuner in my 03, FYI I have finely had opportunity to ride the bike for extended amounts of time giving the tuner the needed data to actually adjust to my riding habits and I have actually changed up my riding habits to a more sane level. I have seen a study increase in gas mileage. The last tank full went over 135 miles. Down side is I have also noticed a rise in my 10 mph to 140 mph times.
When my garage was broken into along with the keys the bastards took my laptop I was using to program the thunder max. So all my previous data and my capability to tune the bike is lost.
I will be able to at bare minimum regain the tune capability as soon as I buy another laptop computer.
Does anyone else have a thundermax installed. If so please tell me about your experiences with the tuner.im quite amazed at the difference it has made right out of the box. Night and day from the factory ECM. If I had to guess I would have to say it has increased HP 20% it turned my bike Into a tire smokin’ monster.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts