Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
"Doc"
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

Would like to get a list together of local shops that can and know how to do all kinds of mods and installs on the V-rod for all of us that are NOT mechanically inclined.

I prefer to support the little guy vs the local dealers that treat me like a step child.

I will start with:

Mick- Bad ass paint for custom painting- by LAX
Dyno dave for tuning- Canoga-park

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great topic for me! I'm a new owner and would love some recommendations. I' m down in Orange co. so please share shops down there too.

I had a pre-inspection done at Cycle Doctor in Costa Mesa and had an overall good experience there. I also had my front tire replaced at Lifestyle Cycles and was happy with the service there.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Barger Harley Davidson in Canoga Park has a great service department and they know the V Rod quite well.
Dyno Dave's in Canoga Park is a good place for dyno tuning with all the latest software from Harley.
For tires, House Of Handlebars in Signal Hill and MC Tire Works in North Hills ( the neighborhood used to be called Sepulveda ) have about the lowest tire prices in the area. MC Tire Works has probably the best tire changers around. No screw ups from them. If you bring the wheels off the bike, they mount and balance the tires for free. I plan tire changes around trips to LA so I can buy from MC Tire Works rather than let the chimps at the local shop here in Ridgecrest touch my bike.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Barger Harley Davidson in Canoga Park has a great service department and they know the V Rod quite well.
Dyno Dave's in Canoga Park is a good place for dyno tuning with all the latest software from Harley.
For tires, House Of Handlebars in Signal Hill and MC Tire Works in North Hills ( the neighborhood used to be called Sepulveda ) have about the lowest tire prices in the area. MC Tire Works has probably the best tire changers around. No screw ups from them. If you bring the wheels off the bike, they mount and balance the tires for free. I plan tire changes around trips to LA so I can buy from MC Tire Works rather than let the chimps at the local shop here in Ridgecrest touch my bike.
1st and ONLY time I have EVER heard that, heard the Opposite from others (including the Old Guy running it who said "We dont have a Vrod Tech" to me a few years back..) They do have a Good Part Dept I will admit that.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
1st and ONLY time I have EVER heard that, heard the Opposite from others (including the Old Guy running it who said "We dont have a Vrod Tech" to me a few years back..) They do have a Good Part Dept I will admit that.
You must mean Gene Barger when you say the "old guy". They have one now I reckon because they have worked on my bike and the results were fine. They fixed the fork problem Antelope Valley Harley Davidson couldn't. He sells DX's regularly, even buys them from other dealerships to sell, so he has a V-Rod customer base. There are usually a couple of V-Rods among the service department bikes. Right now there is an AW and an F in for work, or at least as of last Saturday there was.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
I dont consider "Fork Problems" as a way to measure a place for "VROD" expertise or Specific. The Motor/tranny etc.. is my concern. I see plenty of VRSC's at Glendale when i go there in the shop area, but I would Never recommend anyone go there for anything Motor-Tranny etc.... I think any TEch worth a squat can figure out the Outer workings just fine. (Unlike VAn Nuys HD that to several times to install the SteeringHEad Nut on my bike, glad they are gone.)

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
You must mean Gene Barger when you say the "old guy". They have one now I reckon because they have worked on my bike and the results were fine. They fixed the fork problem Antelope Valley Harley Davidson couldn't. He sells DX's regularly, even buys them from other dealerships to sell, so he has a V-Rod customer base. There are usually a couple of V-Rods among the service department bikes. Right now there is an AW and an F in for work, or at least as of last Saturday there was.
I don't understand that phrase about having a "V-Rod tech".
WTF does that mean? The Revo has nothing in or out that should be foreign to any certified mechanic. The internals, the ECM, the electrical is all but standard these days. Hell, half the parts are rehashed air-cooled sheet. Why would they even say that?

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
I don't understand that phrase about having a "V-Rod tech".
WTF does that mean? The Revo has nothing in or out that should be foreign to any certified mechanic. The internals, the ECM, the electrical is all but standard these days. Hell, half the parts are rehashed air-cooled sheet. Why would they even say that?
I don't know? As far as I can tell they have V-Rod service customers (always a couple parked among the bikes in the Service Dept.) and the times they have worked on my bike they haven't made any mistakes, which is more than I can say about some other dealers. They are not a performance or tuning shop however. For that they send customers off to Dyno Daves.
Maybe Luxy rubbed someone there the wrong way? Nah, couldn't be that.

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
I also want to see this topic growing to the right direction: listing of shops in LA that you feel good getting your VROD serviced at.

my experience: H.B. Hogs & Choppers at Huntington Beach CA. went there for valve adjustment, cost for almost half of any HD dealer quoted me. Ed the owner races a Destroyer so when comparing him to dealer tech who doesn't even know VROD has a radiator, its a no brainer.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Blast from the past style BUMP here. I'm looking for somewhere to take my bike for some maintenance/service (rear wheel hum included). I'm in West LA, but I do NOT want to go to the dealer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
1 (714) 891-7207
Ed at HBHC is the best, I go nowhere else. It's in Huntington which can be problematic but worth it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This is a good post dug up...I've been doing everything I can myself so far, but at some point I'd like to know a good place to go if/when I finally f something up that I can't repair it. I live so close to Bartel's its hard to go somewhere else, but for the life of me I haven't felt truly comfortable at any dealer yet. I was recommended Garage Co, but when I called they only have one guy that works on Harleys. I asked him about putting my Arnott air ride on and he had no clue...$98/hr etc. I did it myself (self taught...wasn't that bad) Even calling around to these places asking a couple questions I get disheartened. Have to say, if the ever emo Lux recommends a place...I'll have to check it out..even if it is way down there.

·
Registered
783 Posts
This is a good post dug up...I've been doing everything I can myself so far, but at some point I'd like to know a good place to go if/when I finally f something up that I can't repair it. I live so close to Bartel's its hard to go somewhere else, but for the life of me I haven't felt truly comfortable at any dealer yet. I was recommended Garage Co, but when I called they only have one guy that works on Harleys. I asked him about putting my Arnott air ride on and he had no clue...$98/hr etc. I did it myself (self taught...wasn't that bad) Even calling around to these places asking a couple questions I get disheartened. Have to say, if the ever emo Lux recommends a place...I'll have to check it out..even if it is way down there.
I've already emailed the Lux place - awaiting a reply.

Check out some of the SM Riders or other bike groups on meetup.com if you're into that thing. Haven't seen any other vrodder's in the area.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
I've already emailed the Lux place - awaiting a reply.

Check out some of the SM Riders or other bike groups on meetup.com if you're into that thing. Haven't seen any other vrodder's in the area.
They are closed Sun & Mon, was down there recently and he has bikes everywhere and 6 techs on duty so calling him would be a better bet. Tell him Dave with the 2002 vrod sent you. MAke sure you ask how long it will take, its not usually a "Drop and Wait" scenario.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts