Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night my wife and dad and myself were going out for a ride. We did not get but 3 miles down the road and my dad noticed that my wifes bike was getting a flat tire. he stopped her so I turned around. When I looked for a cause, all I could find was a loose valve stem. Must have been loose from the factory as this V-rod only had 13 miles on it at that point. My dad went to get an air tank and in 10 minutes we were on our way. I have become accoustomed to just jumping on and riding my (trouble free) bikes. I need to take the time to look thigs over better.

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
I'm glad it wasn't one of the engine valve stems, which really would have been a problem.

Its probably a good idea to remind ourselves to check tire pressures before heading out - especially on a bike that we aren't familiar with.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is bad enough that I embarrased myself by putting my wife on that bike without a pre-ride check. But after talking to some people today at work, this is not an isolated incident. I'm reluctant to put the most important person in my life on a bike that could have a safety problem--- it will be back to the dealer for a check ASAP. The million dollar question, why was that bike sent out with a loose stem in the 1st place?

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
But after talking to some people today at work, this is not an isolated incident. I'm reluctant to put the most important person in my life on a bike that could have a safety problem
It's a valve stem :chair: Replace it and loose the idea that the V-Rod has "safety" issues.

I'm curious what your people at work are talking about, I didn't know that valve stem tightness was a big "problem" area with Harleys :angeldev:

I guess that's another reason that Hondas are better bikes than Harleys :deal: :laugh: :hmm:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
dyvil my question would be to your dealer. They do get paid to do a PDI that does include checking tire pressure before the bike is released. Had it been done then they should have caught the fact that the tire would have been some amount low and that the stem was loose.

I am a nut case about tires. YOU NEED TO CHECK TIRE PRESSURE EVERY TIME YOU RIDE. IMHO

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
had another nice experience with my home dealership today. I went out alone to check out my new butt-buffered seat and wanted to check my tire pressure (my DH usually this does this for me). The gas station gauge was being squirrely (read: operator error), so I decided to stop by the dealership and see if they'd let me check it there. well, I rode up behind the dealership, and 2 of them heard me and came out before I'd even turned it off. I asked to check my air and then didn't have a chance to touch the bike after that -- they rolled it in, checked both tires, filled me up, gossiped with me about new accessories, my pipes, new v-rod owners in the area, how many miles I have on the bike, and then sent me on my way with big grins and waves. They were lonely and bored because all the techs are at school this week and things are slow back there, but it sure was NICE.

I get annoyed with some of the things that happen in our dealings with them, but today's experience is more the norm than any kind of problems. You know, everybody $crews up now and then. The good thing with my home dealership is that they always make it right and I ALWAYS have the feeling that they're as dedicated to us having a safe and good time as we are.

Anyway, dyvil, I bet there will be folks at your dealership who will be just as upset about sending the bike out with a loose valve stem as you are about letting your wife get on the bike without checking the tire pressure first.

So, HOW DOES SHE LIKE THE BIKE???

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Val I'm sure if I was a little cutie pie like you are that my dealer would be much nicer to me as well. :)

Max

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't get me wrong, if you look closely at my avatar, I advertise for my dealer on my enclosed trailer. I'm just curious how something like this can (slip through the cracks) before it gets out the door---it is thier job. I'm in construction and I can't imagine (turning over) a new building to an owner and having a door knob fall off in his hand and he/she being happy about it. As a matter of fact, I am picking up more chrome for my 02 V-rod today so I will stop and have a talk with Randy (service writer). He has gone beyond the call of duty for me before! Trust me, I don't agree with the threads that (beat-up) on dealers. The way I see it, I was the last person in line that could have corrected the problem and I negleted to do something I should have, a pre-ride check. Nuff said!

By the way Val, she loves the bike. I had a hard time getting her off my v-rod for the last two years. I always got to drive her low rider, that's when I knew we needed a second v-rod. Now I can customize the low-rider to suit me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Correction, I forgot Max had to downsize my picture in the avatar. The fullsize is in the gallery.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts