Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my bikes done about 1500 miles just had it's first service at 1000miles ,so i wasn't really expecting any loose screws, especially when the bike is relatively vibration free.but i was out a run the other day and noticed my left mirror wobbling about..then i realized the srews that hold on the master cylinder were about to fall out i stopped and tightned them just in the nick of time,might be an idea to check yours before you lose them!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Happened to me as well. I tightened twice. I ended up using some loc tite and all is good.

·
Dark Knight
1,505 Posts
Same thing happened to me after I changed my bars. Throw some loctite on and you're all set.

·
Registered
324 Posts
It must be catching, just got home from a ride to find an exhaust heat shield screw gone!

·
Slave to my DX
75 Posts
i lost a screw where the clutch is and throttle assembly was loose as well.

·
Bike snob
756 Posts
I just lost a screw off the secondary clutch actuator cover.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I go over the critical fastners every 500 miles

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
bkervaski said:
I've had screws loose all my life ...
:them: ,and you guy's thought it was all in my Head:banghead: !I Lost 3 set's of exhaust shield nuts&bolts on my 2006 R.They are like $8 each at HD:soapbox: ,and YES I used RED Loctight:mad: !!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Jonny Vegas Rod said:
Happened to me as well. I tightened twice. I ended up using some loc tite and all is good.
Mine came loose on the way home from the dealer (18 miles). Tightened twice then loc-tite. No problems since.:them:
Greg

·
Registered
44 Posts
All exhaust screws, the lid on the front brake cylinder, both battery terminals (bike wouldn't start!), exhaust endcaps, and rear brake caliper. All loose.

Advice to new bike buyers: GO OVER EVERY FASTENER UPON DELIVERY!

·
Rat_WA
21 Posts
Went on a run after checking all mine, riding along and heard a clatter, found my lower small heat shield had fallen off.
Went back to get it and the bloody thing had been flatten by a truck :banghead:

·
Comfortably numb!
1,968 Posts
Get a torque wrench and tighten her down regularly. My fork bolts loosened up and I got some wobbles that made me scream like a little girl (no offense to the girls here...)

·
Registered
488 Posts
Picked up my new 08 NRS on Friday, 2miles from dealer and my headlight shield blew off, another 55 miles and both front turnsignals where falling off, got home last night with 115 miles and noticed one of my exhaust pipe clamp was lose and leaking.. Going for a ride today to see what else falls off..

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hey scotman,sounds as if your dealer has been a bit lazy on the pdi, i would be asking him to give you a harley jacket in compensation.. at the very least

·
#1 Red Wings Fan
138 Posts
When I rode my bike home the headlight shield did a lazy flop... One turn signal turned and was facing the wrong way. When I took it back to service they couldn't believe it. They looked at me liked I did it myself.... Also had an exhaust leak....

Now I check everything I can to make sure I'll have no loose parts etc....

·
Registered
225 Posts
This happened to me 3 times once 2 days after brand new pick up. Most recently after 1000 mile check up. Finally I tighten them with a power drill with a hex drive until I stripped them. NO problems since, but I can't get the stripped screws off now. Oh well.

·
Bike snob
756 Posts
Super Kaz said:
:them: ,and you guy's thought it was all in my Head:banghead: !I Lost 3 set's of exhaust shield nuts&bolts on my 2006 R.They are like $8 each at HD:soapbox: ,and YES I used RED Loctight:mad: !!!!
You did something to piss off your dealer. My heat shield screws are less than a buck a peice, and I've lost 2 in over 5K miles on my '06 R :stilpoke:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts