Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm living in a very oppressive place for motorcycle riders. Police have started ticketing aggressively riders for every possible infraction. Each missing set of reflectors is $63, Non 3/4 helmets is $200 plus 3 demerit points. Fines for Non oem pipes are $190+, got a ticket last year and really not looking to donate any more money to them.

My question is since I find the colour of original silver mufflers really out of place on the black bike, is could these be painted and with what since I really would not want for the paint to peal chip or fade over time.

Had anyone done this or seen this if so could you share pics.

Other alternative would be to still have non oem muffler like the vance and Hynes widow I presently have and put baffles so sound could be reduced.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
"Vrod King"
923 Posts
You could take them to someone that does powder coating and have them ceramic coated instead of painting.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes I figured I could ceramic coated since I think this is the most resistant when it comes to heat but what I'm worried about is the surface that needs to be painted. I don't know if it is but it looks like aluminum. If it is, then is it like painting metal sand primer and paint?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Hi, I'm living in a very oppressive place for motorcycle riders. Police have started ticketing aggressively riders for every possible infraction. Each missing set of reflectors is $63, Non 3/4 helmets is $200 plus 3 demerit points. Fines for Non oem pipes are $190+, got a ticket last year and really not looking to donate any more money to them.

My question is since I find the colour of original silver mufflers really out of place on the black bike, is could these be painted and with what since I really would not want for the paint to peal chip or fade over time.

Had anyone done this or seen this if so could you share pics.

Other alternative would be to still have non oem muffler like the vance and Hynes widow I presently have and put baffles so sound could be reduced.

High heat paint should do the trick. Paint with stands heat hotter than the mufflers get. I believe Rustolem is one brand.It is good up to 2000deg I have used it on my heat shields somewhat and it works,fades color a little to a flat black color. That color change is right close to exhaust port.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used vht paint on my heat shields and it worked well. If the mufflers are aluminum then they might need painted with self etching primer to get the paint to stick.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have painted 3 or 4 bikes pipes with black brush on high-temp paint, they look fine. You can also get the spray-on stuff

·
Registered
336 Posts
I did mine years ago before upgrading my exhaust, I also removed the baffles and shortened the cans a few inches. It looked and sounded good. I just used the black bbq high temp paint. Worked like a charm and held up well. Wish I could find a picture..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi , Did you prime before painting, e.g. sanding or primer? Also when you say it held up pretty good, how long from the time you painted and you upgraded the exhaust ?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I just wiped them down with a damp cloth. No priming. The bbq paint sticks to anything and lays down very smooth. I had them on for about a year I think. The paint is super easy to touch up if you did scuff them but it is pretty robust stuff since it's designed for grills that sit outside in the elements.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ended up getting them ceramic painted at a power coating place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts