Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2014 VRSCF V ROD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about installing Driving Lights for better vision at night. I Live in Florida, Nighttime is very dark. Just wondering if the Alternator has the Juice to carry 30 watts for two bulbs. Being careful not to spoil the look of the Bike. Comment suggestions here

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2022 :LETS RIDE
T

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thinking about installing Driving Lights for better vision at night. I Live in Florida, Nighttime is very dark. Just wondering if the Alternator has the Juice to carry 30 watts for two bulbs. Being careful not to spoil the look of the Bike. Comment suggestions here

T

·
Registered
755 Posts
I would choose a small LED setup in whatever style you prefer. Significantly less wattage required, and brighter than a halogen bulb. Less heat as well. I run similar turn signals as above (with the halo) and like the look- but they are certainly not driving lights

·
Registered Insane
Two 2003 VRSCA's: CTHULHU is Black/Sterling, N/A ; EVIL TWIN is Anodized and S/C
487 Posts
I have Kuryakyn Bullet Lights installed with studs in the lower fender mount location as shown here. They give off a lot of light. You can see in the next photo how they really illuminate the area the headlight doesn't address closer to the front of the bike. Oncoming cars are always flashing me. I'm sure the power consumption taxes the charging system however I rarely go further than one or two tanks of fuel per day and I keep it on a Battery Tender while it's parked at home.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Atmosphere Flash photography Astronomical object Landscape Tints and shades

·
Registered
2014 VRSCF V ROD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have Kuryakyn Bullet Lights installed with studs in the lower fender mount location as shown here. They give off a lot of light. You can see in the next photo how they really illuminate the area the headlight doesn't address closer to the front of the bike. Oncoming cars are always flashing me. I'm sure the power consumption taxes the charging system however I rarely go further than one or two tanks of fuel per day and I keep it on a Battery Tender while it's parked at home.

View attachment 609687

View attachment 609688
Thank you for your extensive response, I am considering the options you mentioned. I appreciate your photographs.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts

T
I put the PIA 005 driving lights on 9 years ago and have had no problems. I have them mounted on the crash bars. One of the best purchases for driving here in the dark country roads. The Hogworkz headlight addition 3 years ago just made things better.
Automotive lighting Rim Automotive design Automotive parking light Font

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
I replaced the stock " candle in the wind " :cautious: headlight with a round 7 " LED type as well, replaced turn signals/running lights and taillight all with LED type and I figure the power saved there helps to run the two 50 watt equivalent ( three LED emitters in each ) low amperage black bullet lights mounted on my engine guard. Also replaced the old school, boat anchor Sealed Lead Acid battery with a LiFePo4 Earth X Lithium battery which is 9 lbs lighter, charges much easier, faster, and requires less amperage to keep it topped off while riding. No voltage drops, dimness or surging at all. My stance on this it is you can never have enough light coming from your motorcycle - and yes not cheap, well over $ 1000 and many manhours to retrofit/wire replace & mount but I did a little at a time over a 2 year period and the end result is a much safer motorcycle at night and even during the day - I totally recommend going 100 % LED and the only problem I've had was I had to dremel tool the OEM H-D rear plastic turn signal bullets so the LED's would fit in and kinda snap in place ( backed up by 1" black gorilla tape to hold them in place ) and a wire that broke inside the rear turn signal bullet due to the tight installation, but no problem at all with any of the LED lights or the Earth X battery. Safe & Sound and no alternator issues. Good Luck with your upgrade TSKAL ! (y):cool:

·
Registered
182 Posts
This may sound like a silly question, but when running auxiliary driving lights off the crash bars, what wire do you splice off of? I know you can run a switch off the main battery terminal, but I'm look to have something running all the time maybe off the existing turn signal running lights.

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
Right Bikerboy - yes that's what I wanted driving lights on 100 % of the time also. When I modified the wiring to work with the LED headlight to go from two electrical plugs to one I spliced into the new headlight plug on the low beam always on position wire. The only time they're not lit is when I hit high beams but that's very seldom and not for long when riding for me so it's not a factor. Yes, you could probably splice into the stock TS running lights and have them on with high beams as well but my LED T/S running lights go out when the turn signal is activated so look for that power loss on OEM lighting - my Triumph triple is wired directly to the battery with a relay under the seat but I've left them on before during the day and run the battery down and had to get friends to push start me, embarrassing :cautious: another way is tap into the switched hot bus wire from the main rotary on/off switch so when you shut the bike off and lock the switch they are always off. I just went ugly early since I was into LED headlight wiring and tapped in there - works fine (y):cool:

·
Registered
78 Posts
This may sound like a silly question, but when running auxiliary driving lights off the crash bars, what wire do you splice off of? I know you can run a switch off the main battery terminal, but I'm look to have something running all the time maybe off the existing turn signal running lights.
I ran a cheap fog light relay directly off the battery. Power for the relay coil comes from an accessory fuse and thru a manual switch. Fog lights turn off with the ignition switch and I can choose to run fog/driving lights with either low or high beam.

·
Registered
755 Posts
There is a wire in the oem headlamp harness for a “running light” (used on the euro models) that’s always on with the ignition also.. this can be used as well

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
At the end of the day ( when it get's dark ) :D I really don't want to ride a M/C without a LED headlight and LED driving lights - once you've had them there is absolutely NO turning back, to a $hit OEM " candle in the wind " vagina shaped headlight, and crap turn signals with no running lights. Night & Day difference, your life might depend on it , no joke. :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts